Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have I mentioned how much having this longbow means to me? How many years I've wanted to do this? That I've been out there 2 hours every day practicing and loving every minute of it? Now, for the past handful of days, my left shoulder is not cooperating. I injured it years ago but thought it was pretty well okay by now. I think it's the ligament that crosses in front, but it starts hurting so badly that, by the end of the day the other day, I couldn't hold a phone to my ear to whine to my husband about it. :D That was after only about 60 arrows all day!

I can get off about 6-8 rounds (8 arrows each) before it hurts too bad. My fingers in that hand go numb. I've tried shortening my practice time and doing it more frequently, but it doesn't help. I took a day and a half off before I couldn't wait to go back out again, and made it about 20 minutes, and that was with a lot of stretching as I walked over to retrieve arrows.

I'm doing exercises where I alternate pushing and pulling my arm to the side and back. Any other tips or ideas to make this work? I'm so frustrated I could go shoot something...except I can't! :razz: :-(

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
The only thing I can really suggest is to practice every other day to give it a chance to get stronger between sessions. If you keep tearing it down, it will never heal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Indie, I work in healthcare.
I think Physical Theropy would help you.
I also agree, when it starts to hurt, stop.
You may be making it worse.

Edward

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys!

I decided to try shooting left handed to give my shoulder a break. HA! You should see the mega string slap I gave myself! So back to square one. On a good note though, I can still hit the target shooting all bass-ackward.

As for physical therapy, our good friend in the WH made it so my insurance got dropped, so that will have to wait.

I will just back off a little and see if I can take it easy. Yeah. Right. I was all, "Well, I'm out here and can't shoot left handed, so let's try shooting normal for awhile. Oh, the burn says it's working!"

Thanks for the link, jbrown! I'll take a look at that right now.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Reminds me of a weekend riding quads with a buddy (we were both in our 30's). He slid off track going around a turn and SLAMMED into a tree head-on. Rang his bell pretty hard, but he was wearing a helmet, and we though he was fine. Two hours later we went outside to shoot our compound bow's in his back yard and the second time he drew his his collar bone POPPED audibly and he dropped to the ground!!! Dr. told us he must have cracked the bone in the wreck, then when he drew back his bow... BOOM! Been 6 years now, and he still hasn't got full range of movement. They told him he never will again. :(

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Don't know if lowering the draw weight would help, I know that in weight lifting they start you our with a light weight then work you up slowly so the strength in the muscles grows over time. May be one of those old fiberglass 25/30 pounders and then work up slowly to what you currently have. It may also give you the ability to shoot, at least with what for a pistol shooter would be a squib load. Good luck

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
A real prepper would learn to hold the bow with her feet and draw it back with yer teeth. Just sayin'. :)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reminds me of a weekend riding quads with a buddy (we were both in our 30's). He slid off track going around a turn and SLAMMED into a tree head-on. Rang his bell pretty hard, but he was wearing a helmet, and we though he was fine. Two hours later we went outside to shoot our compound bow's in his back yard and the second time he drew his his collar bone POPPED audibly and he dropped to the ground!!! Dr. told us he must have cracked the bone in the wreck, then when he drew back his bow... BOOM! Been 6 years now, and he still hasn't got full range of movement. They told him he never will again. :(
OUCH!!! What rotten luck. Has he been able to shoot since?

Don't know if lowering the draw weight would help, I know that in weight lifting they start you our with a light weight then work you up slowly so the strength in the muscles grows over time. May be one of those old fiberglass 25/30 pounders and then work up slowly to what you currently have. It may also give you the ability to shoot, at least with what for a pistol shooter would be a squib load. Good luck
I might downgrade, but that sure feels like wimping out. Could use one of the kids' 10-pounders! :D

A real prepper would learn to hold the bow with her feet and draw it back with yer teeth. Just sayin'. :)
:-D:-D:-D

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
OUCH!!! What rotten luck. Has he been able to shoot since?

I might downgrade, but that sure feels like wimping out. Could use one of the kids' 10-pounders! :D

:-D:-D:-D
We adjusted his bow down to 40lb pull, and he could get it back, but it hurts so bad he doesn't feel he can hold it well enough to be effective hunting with it in cold weather. :( He can't even get his right hand over the height of his shoulder at all anymore. Bows are fun, and a great challenge. But what happened to him made me more aware than ever how in a SHTF situation we'd all be VERY wise to have lots of other options!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's very sound advice. Kind of goes back to the concept of a group, too, where enough strengths get together to make the whole thing work. Weaknesses come too, though.

I'm toying with the idea of a crossbow, but I've got other things to spend money on for a while so if I can't make this work, I'll have to shelf the bow project for a few months.

@jbrown, I started working on form today after reading KSL stuff. Made my arm hurt worse but I got some better force behind the bow! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..He can't even get his right hand over the height of his shoulder at all anymore...
Hmm...neither can I, I turned over awkwardly in bed 3 years ago and felt something go in my left shoulder, no bone was broke and there was no pain, just a cold numbness and pins and needles, but next morning my shoulder muscles were almost locked solid, and hurt bad if I tried to reach anything off a top shelf or scratch my back.
I dived for the internet to do a self-diagnosis and the nearest i could come up with was that I'd torn a "rotator cuff" muscle.
It was just as bad after a couple of weeks so I went to the doctor and he agreed that some fibres had got torn and prescribed a course of anti-inflammatory pills which didn't help much.
So I just decided to ride it out and let it heal itself but it was a long job, and even after 3 years it's improved a lot but still not fully healed.
So maybe your pal also tore some muscles besides cracking his collarbone.
Remember, THE INTERNET IS OUR BEST FRIEND for finding out about all kinds of ailments..:)

PS- hey I remember reading in WW2 fighter pilot Johnnie Johnson's autobiography "Wing Leader" that he broke his collarbone playing rugby just before the war, it healed fine (or so he thought), but after joining the RAF his shoulder and arm became numb and weak with the effort of waggling his Spitfires joystick during combat.
The medics said that some nerves and/or muscles had probably got damaged when he broke his collarbone, so they operated and fixed it.
The moral is that when we break a bone, surrounding nerves and muscles might get hurt at the same time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can understand the pain in your shoulder coming from a previous injury exacerbated by bow use. The numb fingers are another thing (unless you have thoracic outlet syndrome). Anyway, if your thumb or index or middle are going numb, this could be carpal tunnel. The grip could be pressing directly on your median nerve......oh, we'll.....there are many scenarios for the carpal tunnel. If its your little finger, then it's a different nerve.

I guess, the bottom line is once you can make it through Barack Insane Obama's exchanges or get other insurance, it would be worth it to see a hand therapist, then possibly a hand surgeon.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
when shooting was giving me back spasms, I cut down how many shots I was taking so I could still enjoy my sport! I hope you get your fix with your shooting so you can still have fun!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll try to pay attention today to which fingers are going numb. It happens when I ride my bike too on both hands, so probably something like carpal tunnel. I work on the comp a lot.

My shoulder has gotten better. I took about 2 weeks off and so far it's holding out, but like you, shotlady, I'm cutting back on practice sessions so I'm not overdoing it.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
following my accident and the resulting two back surgeries I had to start shooting reduced loads and less rounds than ever before. I had the advantage of being able to dry fire my guns but that would be impossible with a bow.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe you could try a crossbow. Can't hunt with it in most states, but might be easier to fire. They sure look cool, too! I think that's my next one, but gotta get better at this first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts