Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Are you prepping to bug in or out?

• I prep to stay at my home

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I prep to bug-out

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • I prep to both bug in and bug out, which ever the situation calls for

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • I don't prep enough to be called a prepper yet.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My plan is to stay put if at all possible. Black out windows, remove inside doors and use deck screws to screw them over windows and unneeded outside doors, brace heavily the ONE door people may have access to, and stick it out. Send one person well guarded from a balcony out to the pond to collect water as needed, and that's it. People can't rob you if they don't know your there. And if their just going from house to house, a very upleasant surprise will be behind our door after one warning.

All that said, I'm packed, got my BOV setup, and ready to flee should I be left with no other option (Cat 5 hurricane, nuclear, fires).

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
We already bugged out from Florida to Montana.. We have another place to go if it were to get bad here. But where we are at now, I find it HIGHLY unlikely we will have any problems.. Our closest medium sized city is about 5-6 hours from where we are and that is on a good day with the roads here like they are..

We were in Florida and have been coming here for some time on extended vacations (upwards of 7 months) and decided to make this our permanent home.. We have a place that is even more remote than here if we need to though.. Where we are in the Upper Missouri Breaks is actually where the outlaws used to hide out back in the day because of how remote it is.. And we are smack in the middle of it.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
We sure are planning to defend in place and bug in. But if we must run we can.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
While I have an ideal bug out - its still prudent to be ready to bug in. What if the announcement of a pandemic came across the wire right now - only way to live is to avoid all human contact for the next 7 weeks. Shut yourself in. The last thing I want to do is interact wtih anyone outside the home - hence not bugging out - but in.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Both! Got to admit the plans are not in depth as I've been rethinking the whole idea. Since I'm not into the "EOTW" thing, mine are based up possible short term civil unrest, stay at home at least temporarily, living here in the desert, if something happens to the water supply, it's get out of here if its more than a couple of day thing. I keep the RV topped off on fuel and water and ready to roll. I keep a two month pre-packed grocery store type food supply stored at the house. We can be on the road in as little as two hours.

Reactions: shotlady and Seneca

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I live in a wood framed house on a high desert, high deserts are notorious for dry lightning storms and brush fires. So both.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Both are a possibility and both need to be prepped for so I do. I should prep more for long term ,meat supplies running out and eating travelers, but I've been slacking. Probably should be a case of McCormicks smoky rubs for ribs and steaks. :razz:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bugging in isn't much of an option for me as I see it, small apartment in the middle of a huge metropolitan area. I have the supplies for me, my husband, and our dog to stay in for a little over a month if needed, but this is the last place I'd want to stay put. Especially because I'm on the first floor, the windows throughout are double wide and low to the ground, and one of the walls of my living room is all glass with a glass sliding door. Yikes lol

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I'm not in good enough health/condition to be doing a lot of hiking or extended camping in the wilds. Formulating a bug out plan now, couple possible BOL's though nothing I own. Our neighborhood (on edge of town) was OK until some apartments 2 blocks behind me went section 8 and county built a new school twice as big as it needed to be. Figure it will be a public shelter in a crisis :cry: Hence the need to plan for a new BOL. Really can't afford to buy anything now though.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Planning on doing both if need be. I'm set up here, and continuing setting up to stay put. I have security set up to burn and turn. Basically, if I got run out of my place, I can light it up and burn it down. If I can't be here, then no one can. And it's all in plain sight, but not noticeable.

My grandmother lives next door. I can't just bug out, as I still have to take care of her. She has very little resources, and isn't very mobile, so I'm staying here for as long as I can. SHTF I may buy out over there to keep her house protected first.

Living my own SHTF right now, has shown me how much it takes to live a simple life. Water collection, water distribution, food procurement, building fires, cooking food, etc. it all seems basic, yet in a city environment, where there are no readily available firewood sources, or running water (river, stream, etc) makes it a challenge.

So for a short term bug in, it's fine. I've been going on 6 months. I can't get water till the first, I'm down to painted wood and plywood to burn, and food is scarce. If this were world wide, or even just nation or state wide, then I can imagine rioting and looting. I don't want to be in the city for that. I'd imagine it would start about the 2nd or 3rd month unless they're not prepared. Then I'd expect it to start at about a week or 2 in. And continue as more people start running out of food.

I know I went off topic. But I have a question for those of us bugging in.

Do you keep your house looking like any other house and deal with threats as they come?

Or
Fortify your house, and risk it looking like you're protecting something?

What do you think will attract more unwanted attention?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We have bugged out twice now,from northern California to western Washington and now to the upper peninsula of Michigan.not a lot of crime,riots ,mall shootings,(2 malls, both tiny)a gang up here is 4-5 kids on skateboards so,we are good.the only thing that bothers me is just about everything has to come up two lane roads to here from Wisconsin so,we prep for it.we have maybe a two month supply as of now because money is tight.we have a lot of fresh water being next to lake Superior and there is at least a lot of fish and game and veggies etc, we have put up but, if something happened for longer than a few weeks to stem our food supply I presume some looting would come down.but, we will keep the harsh winters and the beautiful scenery and bug in .

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I'm prepping to stay at home. I am not prepping to do both. I try to keep the vehicles supplied for a minimum of 72 hours away from home.

Most of us are likely to get put in a position to survive away from home at least initially.

If you are legitimately prepping to bug out you must have a vehicle dedicated just to that.

Many posting here seem to be to be prepped for a true self subsistence degree. I am far, far short of that kind of readiness.

It is my opinion that those truly prepped to bug out are in a position to use such a vehicle for recreation/training. Those likely have more fun.

I cannot say which is better. The ones alive after a year when SHTF are the peppers that got it right.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I live out in the country, great little community, planning to stay at home unless something really unusual happens. Know where I'm going if that does happen, I have some distant relatives we've stayed in touch with that literally live in the middle-of-nowhere in Mississippi - can't stand the place, but it's the most isolated place I've ever been that has a nice freshwater river running through it, plenty of woods for hunting, and nobody on god's earth could ever find the place.
Your relatives found it, also the mailman, UPS truck, meter readers, tax assessor, any service contractors that have been there, any hunters who have stumbled across it, etc.
Don't think that you'll be completely hidden from the whole world. The best you can do is make it gray, make it look unimpressive and uninteresting.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Bug in or Out. I am in the military, so depending on the situation (and most likely) I will have to wait and see how it plays out. It may be to late to bug out by the time things get really bad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts