Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Wow thats nicer than what I have set up, very well done! I went for the rudementry look, purely functional. You have really upped the bar though. I might have to call Martha Stewart and get some pointers so I can one up ya here, lol. mines just a work bench in the shed with 4 presses and some plywood shelves. But seriously thats sweet!!! Looks like I am not the only one stacked so deep too.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Awesome set up. Well worth the time you put into it. I just started reloading so I have a long ways to go. Hopefully someday I'll have a set up as nice as this. Just awesome.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I wished I had that kind of space to reload but limited to a small area at this time. I also obviously don't load as many different calibers as you do so would never need as many different supplies either. My loading is all 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt (pistol and rifle), 45-70 Government, 20 ga and 12 ga shot shells. The press in use now is the Lee Classic Turret and Lee Pro 1000 was sold to buy it. It does do the job however very well.

IMG_0215_Sm.jpg
IMG_0221_Lg.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Are you planning to reload and, if so, how are your reloading preps looking?

I built myself a new reloading room, custom cabinets and the like.

Here are some pics when I was putting it all together.

When I started figuring the weight of everything, even though I glued and screwed the cabinets directly into studs, I decided I also needed to hang it from the rafters using high tensile strength cable ...

Then I did a test run of how everything was going to fit before I did the final adjustments on the shelves ...

Everything is built to keep fire out - or the threat thereof. The lights are actually mini circular florescents and the bottoms of the cabinet are stuffed with rock wool. The walls are two hour rated against fire and even the ceiling over the room has a two hour rated fire wall and is insulated with fire retardant material.

I couldn't get everything in those cabinets at first ... had a lot leftover so I had to do some reorganizing to figure out where to put the rest of it.

The red bench is at one end of the room, and I am built a custom bench that sites under the cabinets where the lights are.

I've actually finished it now, need to take some newer pictures. But the cabinets have doors and I finally finished my bench ... it too has doors on it now. And the tile backsplash is on. It rolls around and is full of ammo boxes full of cast boolits. Four drawers for the small stuff, and then I designed it so that ammo boxes fit in there perfectly.

I sit on a stool at this bench - it really helps relieve the fatigue of sitting for long periods running the presses.

This thing turned-out really nice - I did it sort of early American style and engraved it on the back "Patriot Bench," with a quick explaination of what motivated me to step-up my reloading preps.

Nice just goes to prove what I have said all along when SHTF homey is going to be in big trouble, his day of forcing other to live in fear are over.

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco

·
Registered
570 Posts
Nice set up. My reloading preps right now consist of a few protein bottles of brass, and a pair of reloading manuals. Yeah, I'm behind on the power curve. Talking to a friend right now, trying to buy his press, dies, tumbler, etc to help finance the RFB he wants to buy.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nice set up. My reloading preps right now consist of a few protein bottles of brass, and a pair of reloading manuals. Yeah, I'm behind on the power curve. Talking to a friend right now, trying to buy his press, dies, tumbler, etc to help finance the RFB he wants to buy.
Crap, great idea. I've thrown out a lot of protein containers. What a great way to store and keep all my expended brass. Amazing how something so obvious is overlooked. I learn something new on here everyday.:)

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I wished I had that kid of space to reload but limited to a small area at this time. I also obviously don't load as many different calibers as you do so would never need as many different supplies either. My loading is all 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt (pistol and rifle), 45-70 Government, 20 ga and 12 ga shot shells. The press in use now is the Lee Classic Turret and Lee Pro 1000 was sold to buy it. It does do the job however very well.

I just sold my Rusty Lee 1000 for $70, and bought a used Lee Reloader for $10 to use for decapping and setting rivets & snaps in leather

I have a Lee 3 hole turret with 30/06 dies,bullets Hornady Scale, Pacific trimmer, 3 turrets that ended up costimg me $30 out of pocket after selling off the rest of the package.

Baby steps.
Then came the Midway order and Gun Shop visits.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I wished I had that kind of space to reload but limited to a small area at this time. I also obviously don't load as many different calibers as you do so would never need as many different supplies either. My loading is all 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt (pistol and rifle), 45-70 Government, 20 ga and 12 ga shot shells. The press in use now is the Lee Classic Turret and Lee Pro 1000 was sold to buy it. It does do the job however very well.

I just sold my Rusty Lee 1000 for $70, and bought a used Lee Reloader for $10 to use for decapping and setting rivets & snaps in leather

I have a Lee 3 hole turret with 30/06 dies,bullets Hornady Scale, Pacific trimmer, 3 turrets that ended up costimg me $30 out of pocket after selling off the rest of the package.

Baby steps.
Then came the Midway order and Gun Shop visits.
I started by buying a friends complete set up including not only 2 - Lee Pro 1000 but a Lee Reloader for presses. It also came with sizing tools, a couple of bullet pullers, a pair of scales one digital the other beam type, tumbler with media, brass and bullets as well as some powders, a few thousand primers in large and small pistol. I made a few thousand rounds with the equipment and decided the Progressive presses wasn't for me so I sold them getting what I have now. Now I consider what I have perfect for my needs with the limited calibers I load and very able to keep me shooting a 1000 rounds a month on average.

Oh the Reloader press I sold and bought a Lee Hand press for the range.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
The hand press looks well Handy.I may pick one up for the road. My pistol range is less than 30 yards from the bench where I'll be loading.The rifle range is 130 yards from the bench. I have a clear view of both from the window.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The hand press looks well Handy.I may pick one up for the road. My pistol range is less than 30 yards from the bench where I'll be loading.The rifle range is 130 yards from the bench. I have a clear view of both from the window.
I wished I could shot off my back porch but can't. I can't even cast my own bullets where I am now though I will retire and move to the country soon. At any rate if nothing else I compete in cowboy action events monthly using mostly black powder loads in 45 colt. I take it and a bottle filled with Dawn and water using the Hand Reloader with a Lee Universal Decaping die to decap and get the brass into the soapy water so they don't corrode. Once I get home I rinse good then throw into a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water for 5 minutes followed by a quick dry in the oven. At that point I can take my time tumbling the brass. I'm getting about the same number of loads from brass as I do with smokeless with this method but before this only about 1/2 as many. It would also be a handy tool in the event you need to reload by a camp fire also, as a prepper..

·
Registered
855 Posts
Gallo, that's some nice work there. I wish I had that much powder on hand here. This area is terrible for reloaders very few people deal in powder due to New York's powder magazine rules for dealers. Technically I guess they're not even supposed to have powder on display it's supposed to be in a powder magazine at all times. I'm going to start casting my own bullets here very shortly, need to get a couple of Moulds ordered up and I should be in business. Going to start casting for .45 ACP and .45 Colt if that goes well I'll start casting for rifle cartridges also. By the way for anyone considering bugging out you may want to consider the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Hand Press, would also be good maybe for a beginner just looking to test out the reloading process before investing in a large bench mounted press.

-Infidel

·
Registered
193 Posts
this is my simple/humble setup. I do .38/.357,.40 S&W, .45AP, .223/5.56 and soon .308 Win.
DSCN5951.JPG

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gallo, that's some nice work there. I wish I had that much powder on hand here. This area is terrible for reloaders very few people deal in powder due to New York's powder magazine rules for dealers. Technically I guess they're not even supposed to have powder on display it's supposed to be in a powder magazine at all times. I'm going to start casting my own bullets here very shortly, need to get a couple of Moulds ordered up and I should be in business. Going to start casting for .45 ACP and .45 Colt if that goes well I'll start casting for rifle cartridges also. By the way for anyone considering bugging out you may want to consider the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Hand Press, would also be good maybe for a beginner just looking to test out the reloading process before investing in a large bench mounted press.

-Infidel
I had a real space problem so what I did was look at my bottles and match batch numbers, then I poured all the IMR 4895 for instance, from the same lot #, in the same bottle ... IMR bottles usually will hold two or three pounds, instead of just one. Alliant stuff will hold more. And those old TAC triangular bottles would hold three pounds easy.

My cabinet is still packed to the brim with bottles of powder pushing at the doors, but at least I got it all in there. Enough to reload about 20k rounds total by my estimation, which, along with the brass I have, should last me awhile even in a pinch.

I'm not giving any of it up either and I am damn sure not afraid of the government taking it from me.

South Carolina is not the place for them to make a move. They need to just let us live in peace.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had a real space problem so what I did was look at my bottles and match batch numbers, then I poured all the IMR 4895 for instance, from the same lot #, in the same bottle ... IMR bottles usually will hold two or three pounds, instead of just one. Alliant stuff will hold more. And those old TAC triangular bottles would hold three pounds easy.

My cabinet is still packed to the brim with bottles of powder pushing at the doors, but at least I got it all in there. Enough to reload about 20k rounds total by my estimation, which, along with the brass I have, should last me awhile even in a pinch.

I'm not giving any of it up either and I am damn sure not afraid of the government taking it from me.

South Carolina is not the place for them to make a move. They need to just let us live in peace.
I do that also and use the box below for powder storage. Pretty sturdy box that is about $60 delivered to your door in US. I actually have 2 of these now by the way.

Old Ebenezer Box with Lid.JPG

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Soon as the mag is empty I will reload.
Ok not that kind of reload, down the road it maybe an option right now still cost effective to stock up but that could change. I never was one for going back after brass when the fight was over.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts