Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am and tie off one of my spinning rods to the side of my BOB, but I'd like to improve on it because while a 2 piece Ugly Stick with a Shimano reel, it's still long and sticks out more than I like.
What are some of the best BOB fishing rod options?

:idea:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Great post! I am an avid fisherman, and have been looking, though not very hard for a decent collapsible rod. In the meantime, I have acquired one of the "YoYo" fishing reels to throw in the BOB. (yoyo fishing reel: compare prices and read reviews - Bing Shopping ) This is more of a snare, but I love fish, and it will have to do, along with a length of fishing line, a float and some hooks for perch-jerkin'… until we get a good answer to Fuzzee's question. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also have a rod and reel that lashes to my BOB if you are going pure minimalist you could pick up a cane pole for a few bucks might still be a little long but super lightweight...they sell super tiny rods and reel at Bass Pro Shops not sure of the quality might be worth a look at

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had thought up what I think would be a great bugout bag fishing rod setup a while back and mentioned it in another thread, but nobody makes it. To save on space and weight and be able to use any good stick as a rod, I thought a spinning reel designed to clamp onto any stick/branch and than a set of string guides/eyelets to do the same would be great. And with a nice durable nylon case that attaches to molle/pal straping. You find a good long stick or branch and clean it up, trimming it real quick with your knife, than clamp on the reel, than clamp on the eyelet/guides, run the line through them and tie on your hook or lure. Instant fishing rod, light on weight and space, and in a nice compact pouch you attach to your pack. I've come up with ideas for various things but am not the guy who knows how to get them made.

I have been looking at going with one of Ugly Sticks Pack multi piece rods, but you it's still not that much smaller. Than I was thinking of simply having mine trimmed down from the tip and a new guide put on. It's not the perfect solution though.

Amazon.com: Shakespeare Three-Piece Light Action Ugly Stik Spinning Rod, 5-Feet: Sports & Outdoors

Shakespeare Fishing Tackle

·
Registered
206 Posts
Great post! I am an avid fisherman, and have been looking, though not very hard for a decent collapsible rod. In the meantime, I have acquired one of the "YoYo" fishing reels to throw in the BOB. (yoyo fishing reel: compare prices and read reviews - Bing Shopping ) This is more of a snare, but I love fish, and it will have to do, along with a length of fishing line, a float and some hooks for perch-jerkin'… until we get a good answer to Fuzzee's question. ;)
Those actually do make great snares as well, I have a couple dozen.

My bug out fishing rig is a coil of line, some hooks, and I'll either find a bamboo patch around here or along the way, or I'll just use a stick of some sort.

If it is trout I am after, if I make it that far north into the mountains, then I've got a neat little rolled-up seine for those little buggers - and it doubles as a hammock.

But no, I've chosen to not carry a dedicated reel and pole for fishing. Yet I still intend to catch plenty of fish.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We all intend to catch lots of fish. Intending and catching though, can be two different things. I know I've had more days than I can count in a boat or on a lake or river bank fishing till my arms are sore and no fish to show for it. Some time you have great days and some times you don't. :)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
135_2.jpg
no, no im not at this time i thought about it, but need to move on this deal. i was at big five the other day and forgot. but i did get a nifty hiking stick.
I keep forgeting to order one of the TOPS Hoffman Harpoons, but there something that might go nice with your walking stick. You could harpoon the fish.

TOPS Knives.com

·
Registered
365 Posts
I keep tackle and line in my bob, i plan on finding a stick until i can find a nice telescoping or small breakdown unit.
I've often thought of packing an ice spinning combo.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I keep tackle and line in my bob, i plan on finding a stick until i can find a nice telescoping or small breakdown unit.
I've often thought of packing an ice spinning combo.
I've considered the ice rods myself, the only thing is you don't get a rod that casts well at all with no length on the rod. There still compact to carry though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, i live under half a mile from Norways longest and biggest lake, i built my own boat with some help from my father who was a navy machinist and officer in the 70's-80's. and I fish very often, but its not very fun walking about half a mile throught forrest with a heavy and long rod so ive experimented with over 20 different types of rod's to find what was best for my BOB in case i have to BO, its light, its strong enough to handle any freshwater fishes around here. so im perfectly happy with my choice, I bought it at a local store here but sadly i dont think you can gett it outside of Norway.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've considered the ice rods myself, the only thing is you don't get a rod that casts well at all with no length on the rod. There still compact to carry though.
That is precisely why i havent added one yet... no distance!

·
Registered
86 Posts
What's the brand name. I bet it can be found online.
Its a Shinamo Tele freshwater, I changed the rele to an older one that my old stepdad gave to me from his childhood, its never failed me so far but the rele doesnt have any brand name on it. Here's the only site i found that has it but its in Norwegian so sorry for that xD
Shimano Tele Ferskvann 6'6"

·
Registered
206 Posts
We all intend to catch lots of fish. Intending and catching though, can be two different things. I know I've had more days than I can count in a boat or on a lake or river bank fishing till my arms are sore and no fish to show for it. Some time you have great days and some times you don't. :)
You must have been doing it the legal way. SHTF and we're not going to be very sportsmanlike when it comes to catching fish, agreed? But absolutely I agree, some times there are just bad days or they are not biting or whatever - you're right.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its a Shinamo Tele freshwater, I changed the rele to an older one that my old stepdad gave to me from his childhood, its never failed me so far but the rele doesnt have any brand name on it. Here's the only site i found that has it but its in Norwegian so sorry for that xD
Shimano Tele Ferskvann 6'6"
That looks like a nice rod.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts