Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have another thread about if you would want to live. I'm going to add a little twist to that and ask are you capable of killing the ones you love to stop their suffering. If the SHTF, chances are medical care is going to be limited. You can try your best to prepare yourself but you will never be able to truly care for the sick and injured. What if a loved one became very sick or hurt?! Would you watch them suffer or somehow help them along? I personally would like to have some kind of verbal agreement with the people I'm with. I couldn't imagine how horrible the situation would be but I think it's a valid point to discuss.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
We have another thread about if you would want to live. I'm going to add a little twist to that and ask are you capable of killing the ones you love to stop their suffering. If the SHTF, chances are medical care is going to be limited. You can try your best to prepare yourself but you will never be able to truly care for the sick and injured. What if a loved one became very sick or hurt?! Would you watch them suffer or somehow help them along? I personally would like to have some kind of verbal agreement with the people I'm with. I couldn't imagine how horrible the situation would be but I think it's a valid point to discuss.
You can say whatever you wish here and now but when the time comes, who knows? Can I kill someone in defense, no problemo. Killing a loved one is a whole different story. I won't really know until that time comes. I just hope it never does.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think it's important to become low-impact in SHTF... You shouldn't be taking unnecessary risks and exposing yourself to physical injury if it is at all avoidable. That will go a long way in preventing your hypothetical situation.

But no. If presented with such a situation today, I could not pull the trigger... nor would I advocate someone else doing so.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, I want to say...I would never!! But, I can honestly say, I have no idea what I'm capable of. If a loved one was suffering to the extent of begging me to put them out of their misery, it would be a horrible decision.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No never, I would medicate with pain killers and make them comfortable if there was nothing else I could do but no I wouldn't kill them.
You're a survival person here. Are you going to use what little pain meds you have on someone that is going to die anyway? You have the rest of your family/others that are going to live on. Do you waste the meds?
I'm just playing devil's advocate here because of course drugging them would be the best option.

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
With all due respect, mish, given some of your other posts here I can not take you seriously about anything.
Have a nice day.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Am I capable of killing a loved one? Under the right conditions, yes. Would I? I might but could I live with it? I don't know. It might change me into something I don't want to be. I don't think I could personally justify it. I do think, under the right circumstances I would do it. I think that makes me a special kind of monster....

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With all due respect, mish, given some of your other posts here I can not take you seriously about anything.
Have a nice day.
That's too bad. I like hearing everyone's viewpoints, even more so from people that I might not agree with. I'm sure we could of expanded each others minds. :(

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Mish, could you? would you?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
If someone I love was suffering terribly and their living through it to a healthy life again was not a possibly, could I kill them if they wanted me to and stop their pain? You're damn right I could and I would want them to do it for me too. Sometimes loving someone is hard.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mish, could you? would you?
I believe that it would be a decision that would be easier to make in the moment. When put on the spot, your choice would be to watch and hear the pleas or end it. I think as much as you want to think you could never, you would probably end the suffering. That's why I said I would want to have some kind of verbal agreement with the people I was close to. Having the verbal agreement at least takes some of the weight off your shoulders. Which is worse, knowing that you let your loved one suffer or knowing you honored their dying wish.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Which is worse indeed....
Living with the fact that you were the reason for their suffering or living with the fact that you killed them..... Which IS worse?

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe letting them suffer would haunt me more, especially if they are asking me to end it. Fuzzee said it!! I would want them to do the same for me if there was no chance of getting better.

Hell, we do this kind of stuff now to some degree. We just pull the plug.

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I believe letting them suffer would haunt me more, especially if they are asking me to end it. Fuzzee said it!! I would want them to do the same for me if there was no chance of getting better.

Hell, we do this kind of stuff now to some degree. We just pull the plug.
Yep, no different than pulling the plug. If it's what they want, than in loving in them there is no guilt in fulfilling their dying wish. There would be for me in letting them suffer and not having the honor and heart to stop their pain when they asked me to. We're all going to die someday regardless. It's simply when and how. I would prefer not to suffer at the end and know I don't want my loved ones to.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Nobody can say for sure that hasn't already been faced with this situation, so of course we're just speculating here but even speculating I'm having difficulty with knowing what I'd want to do. I'd want to do what they wanted me to do, first and foremost. Hopefully they're in a condition where they can think coherently enough to know, or perhaps we've already discussed this beforehand to have some clarification...

If you did it, you would have to own it and forget it. The one question that could destroy you would be "What if I had waited? Would they have pulled through?".

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Or a doctor comes through hours later....

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
I believe that it would be a decision that would be easier to make in the moment. When put on the spot, your choice would be to watch and hear the pleas or end it. I think as much as you want to think you could never, you would probably end the suffering. That's why I said I would want to have some kind of verbal agreement with the people I was close to. Having the verbal agreement at least takes some of the weight off your shoulders. Which is worse, knowing that you let your loved one suffer or knowing you honored their dying wish.
If you have never killed anybody yet, you have no clue what you would or wouldn't do.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
As a few have said, some of the newer members have taken the forum to new lower standards, but that is just my opinion. These questions about what you "WOULD" do are IMO, getting over the top, no one really knows what may happen in a given instance. Do we all have opinions, yes. But what is the point. If you do something like some of these post ask, are you going to run around a brag or what. Have I answered in these post yes, but I must say I'm not sure why now. For me, I must start thinking hard about a lot of what I'm reading here lately.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts