Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a mesage from a fellow forum user, i asked him a question about what war he served in and when he answered with a message i found it really intresting. It got me interested in knowing who else on the forum has served. Also thanks for your service no matter country your from.

-Anthony

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
27 years retired 1SG 11Z5M and darn proud of it I never expected to See PFC at one time Both my sons are SFC they are CAV both with Gold spurs they were switched from Infantry just before the last deployment. Heading back again mid year.
My wife served as a US Marine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I [think] can see where it would interest someone like you
to have a level of intrigue about a veteran of war.
No slam intended...no negativity meant.....please understand that.
You are still young....and I hope you never see a time that you must
participate in a war.....to any degree.
I was barely older than you are now.....when I joined the USMC
I did not want to be 'drafted' into the Army....
I started in OCS-Quantico, led a demolition team of eight in
Laos....er, uh, Vietnam...yeah....
served two tours, and was discharged before JFK was murdered.
No GPS, cell phone, electronics of any kind......
but a wrist watch to time the missions.....set your charge,
re-unite, and detonate.[coordination of eight men]
TOPO maps....no MRE's [C-rations],no firearms,.....
eating bugs, clothes rotting as you wore them, skin
shriveled like prunes[toenails still nasty today], and no
friggin clue where you were at......good times, little brother.....
I would not wish it on you.....not even for one day.
I would not change it......not even for a moment.

Four of us are left.....
we are closer to each other......
than any of us are to our wives.....
or our children.
And I don't even know how the hell you brought this out of me.....
I don't usually speak much of it.
Kudos to you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was/am still thinking about joining the army but i decided since im being trained as a c level weilder ill stick with that for a bit. Obviously hearing about the military and war would get lots of people hyped up on the idea that they'ed be a hero not so much me, i enjoy the idea of training ( i was in army cadets and we would go out in the wilderness and repel off of things, i left however because i shit you not the guy in charge never showed up and the other kids were smoking pot and having sex in the bathrooms, i was thirteen and i didnt know what to make of it so i left ). But ozo ever since i was 8 ive been reading military books and doing all my history projects on veterans, i just belive they have a great story to tell, and i seriously find it completely amazing.

-Anthony

Reactions: ozo

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I've never served, the closest I came to joining the army was in my teens when I sent off for an Army Careers brochure from the local recruiting office.
Got the shock of my life a couple of weeks later when a Sgt Butterfield called at my home on a follow-up courtesy call in full dress uniform, stripes and all, but I chickened and never answered the door and dived behind the settee til he'd gone!
I dropped the idea of becoming a soldier because I knew I'd be too much of a stubborn s.o.b. to be able to take orders, especially if i didn't agree with them.
I turned instead to board and computer wargames, they're just as much fun and nobody tells you what to do..:)

·
Administrator
15,445 Posts
US Army, 1967-1970. Volunteered before they could draft me.
Volunteered for and went to Vietnam in 1969.
Someone once said, and I'm paraphrasing here: "war is only romantic to those who have no knowledge of it."

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
436 Posts
Never was in the military, I was 4F due to loosing my left eye when I was 12 years old. However did 5 years as a security contractor (body guard/courier) for corporations going overseas to the some select federal agencies from 80 to 84 traveling over 94 different countries. Did go through so of the military training as well as time at Quantico, VA training center with various agencies from State, FBI, CIA and others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
University of Science, Music, and Culture (USMC) from 1990-1994. Avionics tech (say "smooooth wings"). Spent time putting Harriers back together after they were crashed and smashed.

Was in during the fun time when the gov't made us Jarheads put our names on our uniforms (yeah - we ALL complained about that) and Clinton made it impossible to get promoted because of the cutbacks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I joined the Marines when still in high school did 4 years as an 1833 amtrac crew most of the time we spent floating around on ships.that was 1983 to 1987
joined the army in jan of 1988 and did 12 years there as a diesel mechanic 63w
i did like 6 months in the 1st gulf war in the army not seeing any action as i was a ,mechanic and stayed way back in the rear.
in 2008 i went to iraq as a civilian contractor seen more dangerous situations then than in my 14 years in the military. i did little over 2 years as a contractor there.
my son (despite my efforts to get him in the airforce) joined the Marines he is stationed in California Camp Pendelton. with the 1ST LAR :(
I'm very proud of him but the 1st LAR is the tip of Americas spear :( as someone said earlier you dont want your children in combat.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.