Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,544 Posts
I wore a Cammilus K-Bar in West Virginia, tucked into my belt. That knife is 1 foot long overall.

In Florida they sell switchblades at flea markets. And I have a Bowie knife that I bought at a flea market, and I have worn it in public.

It is 15" long, with a 10" blade.I hangs all the way down to my knee.

I don't know if that is a good answer, but that is my experience.

The knife beside the Bowie is my favorite pocket knife.
The blade is about 4" long.

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
I remember a very long time ago, middle school I think, where everyone had those switchblade combs and they always said that the real knives were illegal and gave me that dreaded face look. Now I see these in catalogs all the time in the form of assisted opening. I never got the skinny on what happened, did I miss some type of sunset ban or something?
I have 4 switchblades. Not sure of the legality in my current state but they are non-carry novelties.

I went to a gun store in Wheat Ridge, CO once. As I was looking around I saw a very cool Protech, side-opening switchblade. The owner of the store (Gunsmoke) asked me if I was interested. I said that I thought they were illegal. He asked me if I had ever sold a knife before. I said that I had. He said that it's legal for dealers to own them and since I had sold a knife I was a knife dealer. I bought it on the spot.

·
Administrator
15,022 Posts
I wore a Cammilus K-Bar in West Virginia, tucked into my belt. That knife is 1 foot long overall.

In Florida they sell switchblades at flea markets. And I have a Bowie knife that I bought at a flea market, and I have worn it in public.

Yes, Florida knife laws only prohibit "ballistic knives" that actually launch a blade.
I always wear a 4" or 5" sheath knife on my belt. Anything longer gets in the way while getting in and out of my truck.
My Ka-Bar USMC Fighting Knife only drew second looks from North Eastern Yankees. They were real easy to spot that way.
My next blade purchase will be a Cold Steel sword cane with 25 inch blade.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,544 Posts

Yes, Florida knife laws only prohibit "ballistic knives" that actually launch a blade.
I always wear a 4" or 5" sheath knife on my belt. Anything longer gets in the way while getting in and out of my truck.
My Ka-Bar USMC Fighting Knife only drew second looks from North Eastern Yankees. They were real easy to spot that way.
My next blade purchase will be a Cold Steel sword cane with 25 inch blade.
I came to fancy the Sharpfinger by Shrade, so I picked one up, maybe 6 months ago. I usually just drop it In my pocket. It is a get it done knife.

Attachments

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here in Britain carrying any sort of knife without an excuse is illegal, in fact even if you were carrying a cricket bat down the street the coppers would try to nick you..:)
This is my own blade, it's a small commando knife that slips easily into your inside pocket or down your belt, blackened so as not to glint in the moonlight.
I carry it for when I go up on the seafront with stuff to eat, as you need a knife to open the heavyweight food packs nowadays-

Below-This is me holding my bigger knife which I use when camping to saw wood and slice things up etc-

·
Registered
85 Posts
Guess I don't watch enough TV. A real cheap, poorly made knife look neat till you have to bet your life on it. I buy a knife that will save my life, allow me to butcher an animal, help make a fire, open a can of food. I have carried my knives for over 30 years. A K-Bar UMC fixed blade and a Victorinox folder knife. A Buck 110 folder is also good. A fancy knife is kind'a like a fishing lure, it does not have to work, just catch someone's eye, all shiny and pretty.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here in Britain carrying any sort of knife without an excuse is illegal, in fact even if you were carrying a cricket bat down the street the coppers would try to nick you..:)
This is my own blade, it's a small commando knife that slips easily into your inside pocket or down your belt, blackened so as not to glint in the moonlight.
I carry it for when I go up on the seafront with stuff to eat, as you need a knife to open the heavyweight food packs nowadays-

Below-This is me holding my bigger knife which I use when camping to saw wood and slice things up etc-

I guess that is what happens when they take all the guns. Then they try to take all the knives....

Years ago, I saw that dumb organization you have over there. Something like "Take a knife, save a life". I think I renewed my NRA membership shortly after reading about those idiots.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/takeaknifesavealife/

Back on topic, in Ohio, you can't conceal a deadly weapon except a handgun if you have a permit. What constitutes a deadly weapon is not really defined unfortunately. Has more to do with intent than the actual knife. That is why you see a lot of clip knives in Ohio. The clip is exposed so the knife isn't concealed in your pocket.

Funny that I can carry 10 concealed handguns, but not a switchblade used for self defense (admittedly a deadly weapon since it is for S/D). A switchblade carried with the purpose of opening Amazon boxes isn't a deadly weapon, it is a tool.<-- Doesn't mean a cop can't arrest you for it though saying he believed it was a deadly weapon.

·
Registered
357 Posts
..A switchblade carried with the purpose of opening Amazon boxes isn't a deadly weapon, it is a tool.<-- Doesn't mean a cop can't arrest you for it though saying he believed it was a deadly weapon.
Possibly...there was an interesting bit in a Brit Cops on Patrol TV docu a few years ago where they pulled over a young driver for a minor motoring offence and spotted a baseball bat on his back seat and asked him what it was for, and he just shrugged and said "Nothing really, it just happens to be there, is it against the law?"
They said no it's not against the law, and they carried on chatting with him in a friendly way for a while, but then he goofed bigtime by saying "Anyway I might need that bat to protect myself on the streets"
Bingo, they arrested him on the spot for saying he intended using it as a weapon!
The moral is- be careful what you say..:)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Possibly...there was an interesting bit in a Brit Cops on Patrol TV docu a few years ago where they pulled over a young driver for a minor motoring offence and spotted a baseball bat on his back seat and asked him what it was for, and he just shrugged and said "Nothing really, it just happens to be there, is it against the law?"
They said no it's not against the law, and they carried on chatting with him in a friendly way for a while, but then he goofed bigtime by saying "Anyway I might need that bat to protect myself on the streets"
Bingo, they arrested him on the spot for saying he intended using it as a weapon!
The moral is- be careful what you say..:)
... and if you can't do that, say nothing at all.

Reactions: Eyeball

·
Banned
Staying alive
515 Posts
Here in Mass. they are illegal, assist are ok but not automatics, double edged are also banned regardless of overall knife style.

In another thread I posted the section of the Mass. general law, swords are also banned.
Technically they're not illegal in MA. You can own and carry an auto as long as the blade length is I believe 1.9" or less. And you can still own one with a longer blade it is only illegal to carry it outside of your home which kind of defeats the point of owning one. Swords are also legal to own in MA. There are plenty of shops that sell them here. They just can't be double edged.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Wow, and I thought Wisconsin was strict on knives!

I have always said that the thing that keeps me out of trouble is all this gray hair. I appear to be a "home owner," not a barroom brawler.

Having said that, I sometimes sit one table away from two or three police officers stopping for coffee and a Danish. If my wife wants half of what I'm eating, I just slice it twain with my "pocketknife." Almost all my pocketknives are switchblades.

What is the best way to not get arrested? Clearly, it's 'demeanor.' If you come off like a jerk, you get thrown into the back seat of a squad car with another jerk.

So, I get coffee for me and my wife, I get her a Danish, I tip the help, I smile, and I never use aggressive slang language. About 50% of the time a police officer sitting near us says, "Hi, Chico." The stiletto is full of mayonnaise and it sits open on our table.

Again, I believe that your movements in society should be based on being polite. Sure, most of us carry and use a stiletto, but none of us wind up in jail. One officer asked me to polish his knife and refine the edge. No problem.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
All of the switch blades I have ever seen were so cheaply made I wouldn't want one any way.
You just have to find a more reputable supplier. I've been purchasing well-made switchblade knives for almost 20 years--and over the phone, no less.

The idea of the 1950s switchblade is akin to the usual 25 dollar variety. I have modern automatic knives that still fold, fire and cut like any superior folding knife. The concept of the "Hollywood switchblade" is simply a slam to a well made product.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You just have to find a more reputable supplier. I've been purchasing well-made switchblade knives for almost 20 years--and over the phone, no less.

The idea of the 1950s switchblade is akin to the usual 25 dollar variety. I have modern automatic knives that still fold, fire and cut like any superior folding knife. The concept of the "Hollywood switchblade" is simply a slam to a well made product.

The Edge Company from the 1980s was one of the major importers of those junk switchblades from years ago. I agree with you. It is not the same today. You can buy very high quality automatics. This one just arrived at my doorstep yesterday. The Fit, finish, cutting dege, balde steel and spring strength are amazing. Of course, you pay for the quality.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
I never had a Pro-Tech. I figured that in the long haul it was just too expensive to stick into a mugger on a dark parking lot.

I'm more of a 40 to 80 dollar collector. I'm going to polish my own edges anyway, and most times the handles need to be "more parallel."

Besides, with my luck the cops will confiscate the most expensive one I own!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I never had a Pro-Tech. I figured that in the long haul it was just too expensive to stick into a mugger on a dark parking lot.

I'm more of a 40 to 80 dollar collector. I'm going to polish my own edges anyway, and most times the handles need to be "more parallel."

Besides, with my luck the cops will confiscate the most expensive one I own!
Yeah, it was a bit expensive to stick in a mugger. it is pretty though. What do you recommend in the 40-80 price point? I only have 2 autos right now and the collection can always grow.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
What do you recommend in the 40-80 price point?
Well, I'd recommend that you and I both work on the project. I still do some sales and I think I could still bend the arm of a few old fellow salesmen.

I would be careful. When I bought pocketable switchblades I usually went for the "high dollar models" because I could finagle better pricing from a guy already in the trades. And the real problem with these models is that they were not activated by coil spring technology. And leaf springs age quickly.

Having said that, I usually found a company (or my current contact "Joyce") who could get shipments from Sicily--and that's one heck of a mess! It takes the exchange of four salesmen! Two in Europe, one in New York and one in the client's locale.

Having said that, I can see why today's younger generation shops at garage sales or older salesmen going out of business. Let's get real, it's just a knife. But everyone wants the "Sicilian real deal." Truth be told, I've polished those blades--most of them are pretty mundane.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
What do you recommend in the 40-80 price point?

@
jeffh, funny you should mention this. This morning my wife told me I could buy a new knife. Ironically, when I opened up the A.G. Russell website, I saw the knife I am profiling for preppers. It's the CRKT Mah Lanny.

It seems to do anything, and that includes an easy drop into your jeans pocket. I bought mine for 57.75, which I would have paid just for the blade...

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The Edge Company from the 1980s was one of the major importers of those junk switchblades from years ago. I agree with you. It is not the same today. You can buy very high quality automatics. This one just arrived at my doorstep yesterday. The Fit, finish, cutting dege, balde steel and spring strength are amazing. Of course, you pay for the quality.

That must be the godson. I have The Godfather. Great knives.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That must be the godson. I have The Godfather. Great knives.
Yes it is, and yes they are great knives. Not one I would EDC though, it is almost too nice. Boker makes some great, less expensive ones that you don't mind getting knocked around for EDC.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Yes it is, and yes they are great knives. Not one I would EDC though, it is almost too nice. Boker makes some great, less expensive ones that you don't mind getting knocked around for EDC.
I have a couple of Boker Kalashnikovs for work knives. They are probably the best value switch blade.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts