Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a very long time ago, middle school I think, where everyone had those switchblade combs and they always said that the real knives were illegal and gave me that dreaded face look. Now I see these in catalogs all the time in the form of assisted opening. I never got the skinny on what happened, did I miss some type of sunset ban or something?

·
Registered
693 Posts
assisted and automatic is the issue. Assisted you have to manipulate the blade yourself, I think. An automatic (or switchblade) you would just touch a button and it would open.

Anybody know the laws on butterfly knives?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
in GA we can have and carry spring operated knives. Assist are 100% legal, most states but not some. Spring operated arent legal in some states, check local laws. wikipedia has a good article under heading "switchblade" with a state by state list

·
Registered
22 Posts
The butterfly,switchblade and ballysong ,throwing stars, nunchuck, high powered pellet gun are ilegal in Canada
Pretty much anything thats fun
This I know for sure not sure of US laws
Hobo

·
Registered
303 Posts
Start here:KNIFE LAWS of the 50 STATES - Introduction and LINKS

Look here too: State Knife Carry and Blade Length Laws

Here: State Knife Laws, City & County Ordinances - KnifeLawsOnline.com as well as........

Here: State Knife Laws

Like to add that my Conceiled Weapons Permit is nice way to circumvent this law.
Thank you for these links. I have been looking at getting a knife to carry in my pocket for defensive purposes and in Illinois the blade has to be under 3 inches apparently. I hadn't picked one out so this is very helpful.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I was just looking for a butterfly knife a few weeks ago no luck at all on ebay. seems like it is very hit or miss on where you can have one and where you can't.

·
RIP Johnny
179 Posts
As posted before, the laws vary from state to state along with Federal Law, however, there is a clause that exempts emergency services workers( law, fire,ems) where it is legal for them. I bought one from brigade quartermasters and had to show proof of employment to be exempt.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts

·
Administrator
15,001 Posts
Legal in Florida. I keep one for farm chores, but don't carry it into town. Not all cops are fully versed in all the state laws.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
In my state of Wisconsin, we got switchblades and numerous other 'gravity' examples now classified as folding knives and legal to carry. I believe the change in statute is about three years old.

That might sound like a great 'new' program, but the police officers I talked to over coffee all said that confiscating every knife they see like they were illegal drugs was simply a waste of man-power. Let's be honest, if you get cut by a Boy Scout Knife or a classy Sicilian stiletto you're going to bleed.

In reality, no one really cared--except for the police who had to assure the populous that these evil knives would be driven from the streets of our honest, law enforcement funding public. If memory serves me (and it seldom does) I believe it was a bagel I was slicing with some scalpel like contraption at the Barnes & Nobel cafe' as the police were sitting at the table next to us.

Personally, I feel sorry for the local police, many of them are clients. They might have to confiscate a knife from a drunk one minute, and then write a "broken tail-light" ticket the next.

BTW, I do use pocket clips on most of my EDC knives if that style permits. That way the item is not 'concealed' and it makes law enforcement that much easier. Oh, I've also found that "gray hair" is another aspect of being a nice guy to the law...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I remember a very long time ago, middle school I think, where everyone had those switchblade combs and they always said that the real knives were illegal and gave me that dreaded face look. Now I see these in catalogs all the time in the form of assisted opening. I never got the skinny on what happened, did I miss some type of sunset ban or something?
Automatic knives are legal in Texas now. The law changed a few years back, and I think it was a good idea. C'mon man! You can carry a gun but not a push button knife? I carry one almost everyday now. It's an OTF knife or "Out the front" knife. I don't recall the brand and don't wanna go get it cause I broke my fool leg! ;) It's got a 4 inch blade and cost about 90 dollars. I've had it about a year and it has lasted so far, even after I overcame the compulsion of popping the blade in and out a 1000 times after I got it. ;)

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Here in Mass. they are illegal, assist are ok but not automatics, double edged are also banned regardless of overall knife style.

In another thread I posted the section of the Mass. general law, swords are also banned.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Automatic knives are legal in Texas now.
I'm glad to hear that. Several years ago I was reading in a knife magazine that Texas had law on the books for knives. The blades could not be over 5.5 inches in length. When I saw this shaky piece of arithmetic I figured it was one of two things. First, some understanding representative used that extra .5 to keep his constituents out of trouble. That, or leftist senators and right-wing representatives fought over "length language" and simply compromised to get the arguing over and done with.

BTW, at one time it was said that a museum in Illinois had Santa Anna's prosthetic leg on display. Yikes, when the Alamo heroes demand payment for war crimes, they take everything!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Everything is legal in MT now. Switch Blades, daggers,Dirks, sword canes, brass knuckles. It was all decriminalized about 2 years ago.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts