Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This will likely be a topic better suited to the rifle section, so I put it there, but in my case, I'm looking to install one of these on my AR pistol. I already have a Law Tactical folder on it to collapse the buffer end to the side. I want to make the gun as compact as possible for discreet carry, but also readily accessible and able to be deployed quickly. With both of these modifications installed, it would make an excellent pack or truck gun.

If you're not familiar with these takedown systems, they facilitate the removal of the barrel/gas tube/handguard section of an AR-15 firearm. This can allow for compact storage or quick barrel changes if you want to swap calibers. There are a few different mechanisms used to accomplish this. Some of them have a locking lug ratcheting system, some have clamps.

I've been trying to compare the various offerings, and was wondering if anyone here has experience with any of them.
I've mainly been looking at the gen2 DOLOS system from Pantheon Arms, and the Cry Havock system. The CH system is supposed to be the most durable, and as a result, is the most expensive. The DOLOS seems less complicated and is less expensive.

Anyone have any hands-on experience with these, or any others?

Here's a demo video of another system, the "LEO", to tease the palette:

·
Super Moderator
9,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I found a deal on one I couldn't pass up.
I found the Pantheon Arms DOLOS for $150 on clearance at dvor.com.
If you haven't checked out Dvor, I recommend them. It's a sign-up site, but I've found some great deals lately, and it looks like they have flat $10 standard shipping. They seem to be affiliated with OpticsPlanet.com.
I might make a post about them if things continue to go well. So far I've picked up a scope mount, 100 bullet tips to reload .380, and this takedown kit. Overall, I've saved ~$50 buying from them over the cheapest prices I can find elsewhere. The catch is, they don't keep "inventory". It looks like they only do sales of bulk orders they buy. Once it's gone, it's gone, and you wait to see what's next.

As for the takedown kit, I made a deal with the wifey that this would be my b-day present, and I'd wait 'til then to open it. 2 months is gonna pass real slow...
I'll try to get pics and a review after that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thats a legit change-out system. I haven't seen anything like that around to be honest. A buddy of mine and myself always bounce ideas and the latest and greatest AR products/tac gear around but havent seen this surface yet

·
Registered
1 Posts
7.5” 300blk with a dolos QD barrel, law tactical and a binary trigger is a pretty sweet setup.

If you want shorter I would go for a pistol caliber in the 4.5 a 5” barrel range

·
Super Moderator
9,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update on this project...

Since I built this gun, I knew the big struggle I was going to have to deal with concerning the barrel extension fitment into the upper receiver. Originally, it took heating the upper and freezing the barrel, along with significant force with a rubber mallet to mate the parts together into an interference fit.
If this project was a long range accuracy build, this would be ideal.
As it is, this is not ideal. I need that barrel to slip in or out with ease for this QD function to work.
What to do? What to do?

I had a buddy give me an I.D. measurement of the upper receiver opening. 1 inch, give or take a thousandth.
I measured mine. It was spot on.
Then I mic'd the barrel extension. It too was 1.001" give or take half a thousandth.

I considered my options. I don't have a lathe to turn down the extension 1-2 thousandths. And I couldn't come up with a solid way to ream out the upper.
I had an epiphany yesterday, and hit the hardware store tonight. I picked up a foot long piece of 1/4" all-thread, numerous rubber and steel washers, some nylon spacers of various lengths, and some nuts. With a little ingenuity, and a few sleeves of heat shrink tubing I had in just the right size, I made myself a spindle that would run through the barrel, clamp it securely at both ends, and still have enough to chuck it up into a power drill.

The heat shrink tubing proved to be the real hero here. Without it, my attempts to center the .25" diameter shaft inside a .308" bore was proving frustrating. Every time I would tighten everything down, it would skew, and it became very obvious once I chucked it in the drill. The wobble was considerable, and I didn't like it.
Two full sleeves of tubing and one extra layer at the crown, and we were in business. It fits snug, fully encapsulated to just under bore thickness, and tighter at the crown to perfectly center the shaft.
I chucked it up again, and there is zero perceptible wobble.

With my new apparatus ready, I cut some strips of 60 grit sandpaper just wide enough for the portion of the extension I need to work on, and did a test run, holding the strip of sandpaper in a loop running around the extension.
It worked like charm. As best I can tell, it is evenly removing material from the entire circumference of the extension. I took it off and did a test fit to the upper, and things are progressing perfectly. I can now get it into the upper 75% of the way with only a small amount of force. As I dial it in, I will switch to less aggressive grits.
I think this is gonna work a treat!
Im the end I'll have a custom hand-fit barrel on the gun. It may not ever work in any other gun, but that's not a problem. It's intended for this one, and now will be with it forever.

·
Registered
80 Posts
An update on this project...
That should work perfectly. I'm a machinist myself (10yrs in the trade) and understand how small that .002 press fit seems, yet thats the industry "standard" lol. I'm glad to see this project really coming together and am interested to hear of how the final product performs.

Reactions: Kauboy

·
Super Moderator
9,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By golly, it worked!

The barrel now slips into the receiver, and once torqued even a few pounds, there is zero play in the fit.
The upper is now fully reassembled.
I could probably get away with installing the DOLOS without the little lady knowing about it, but I promised, so I'll keep my promise to wait until my b-day.
At least now I know it will work as intended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts