Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a nothing fancy AR-15 M4 1/7 twist 16" barrel. Sort of a bear bones AR-15
I have never fired it yet and I was wondering if there is a break in procedure?

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Clean-Shoot-Clean-Shoot repeat. Do that for the life of the weapon.

Seriously, I don't buy into the "break in period" for a weapon but I do believe that some magazines need to be used to help the springs adjust etc. A few years ago I was in the gun store looking at all the stuff that I couldn't afford and asked the clerk (Marine retired, firearm instructor) and the store owner ( also firearm instructor and retired LEO). One said he believes in a break in procedure the other told me to Clean- Shoot a bunch, Clean-Shoot some more-repeat for the life of the weapon. I figured that covered it.

Earlier this summer my buddy brought over an SKS that had never been shot. Chinese piece of junk or so it appeared. Came in a wood box with Chinese writing on it. Box looked old as hell. Anyway, we cleaned it and after 3 shots and some adjustment of the sights it was dead on. So maybe 3 is the answer like the lollipop?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I like the clean - shoot rule... The only other thing is learn how to fully disassemble the firearm and reassemble it with out having to look at the directions. Then Clean-shoot-clean-shoot...

Reactions: Slippy

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Shooter,
You are so right on the disassemble/reassemble!. After our Thanksgiving shoot my sons were cleaning all of the guns so being the know it all that I am I started to reassemble one of the bolt assemblies that my son was cleaning. I stared at it for about 10 minutes then slowly got up to peak at You Tube inconspicuously. My son asks me where was I going and I said I needed my glasses (which were perched upon my nose) so he walks over takes the pieces from me and gets it done. I said, "you pass the test, good job"... I asked Mrs. Slippy why does everyone roll their eyes at me?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
As stated, clean, lube, shoot.
AR's generally like to run a little on the wet side, so don't be afraid of the lube.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Initial cleaning doesn't need to be anything more than running the barrel if it's a new AR-15. The factory likely only shot 3 t 5 rounds to make sure the rifle went bang and didn't group a foot apart. If they shot it at all. You need for safety sake to run the barrel to make sure it's free of obstructions, excess oil or grease. Overall the rifle should be clean, unless it's used. Than doing a complete cleaning could be necessary if it is used. Otherwise if new you should learn and do a basic field disassembly and reassembly to inspect the parts and make sure everythings fine with them. There are tons of videos on You tube. While reassembling you want to do a solid job of lubing the action. Than you simply load the bastard and shoot when you get to somewhere you can or decide your sick of your neighbors.

Direct impingement AR's are shitting where they eat machines feeding the hot gas and carbon from the fired round back into the upper receiver and BCG to cycle the action, so they are more relube dependant rifles than other rifles since they burn it off and gunk it up faster. Simply give a good squirt of whatever lube your using (Hopefully something like CLP and not WD40) through the open dustcover of the upper receiver when it looks to be drying out and mucking up. Then shoot some more while screaming "Get sum". If it's jamming like a 1911 regardless of lube and you've tried different mags, than take the shit munching bastard home and clean it and relube. Either way clean it and relube when you get home from the range so it's in as good running condition as possible and not living on a prayer.

::redsnipe::

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Clean it and shoot it.
AR DI systems like a wet bolt.
IMO nothing fancy needed plain old CLP and enjoy

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I guess some of you guys haven't seen Montana Rancher's break in process. It's a doozy, and bit more than I would go through for an AR, but for a serious long range reach out and touch someone when you care to send the very best hallmark moment of 165 grain public display of affection, I have a similar process.

If you have ever done a run in on a new/rebuilt engine it's sort of the same thing with heating up the barrel and letting it cool, rinse repeat at varying levels of heat and duration of firing and then cooling periods. So ya, clean and shoot, clean and shoot, but there is a madness to the method if you're seriously OCD enough.

·
Super Moderator
9,178 Posts
My first AR came with instructions for break in. Seemed weird but I did it. Run the barrel. Fire off one round, and clean the barrel. Fire off the remaining 9 and clean. Fire off 2, clean and then fire off the remaining 8 and clean again. Fire off 3, and clean, etc., etc. and etc. for 100 rounds. Use the rounds to sight in, out to 200 yards.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Since the factory can't predict the time frame between manufacture and end user they apply a rust inhibitor (protective oil) to the firearm before it leaves the factory. My break in is to clean the firearm as I normally would, this removes the factory preservative and starts me off with my preferred firearm lubricant. This may or may not be necessary, I think I do it out of habit more than anything else. Yet it seems to get me off to a proper start.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My first AR came with instructions for break in. Seemed weird but I did it. Run the barrel. Fire off one round, and clean the barrel. Fire off the remaining 9 and clean. Fire off 2, clean and then fire off the remaining 8 and clean again. Fire off 3, and clean, etc., etc. and etc. for 100 rounds. Use the rounds to sight in, out to 200 yards.
Yep. Bring lot's of patches.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Most AR's off the rack are 2-4 MOA and no break or trick is going to change that. The AR is what it is.
Some of us own ones that where designed from the start to shoot sub to 1 moa but break in has nothing to do with.
You will do more damage to your barrel by over cleaning it than shooting it.
Even Colt only recommends cleaning the barrel every 500 rounds unless your using corrosive ammo or putting it away for awhile.

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Carb Cleaner for the bolt get the carbon off nicely clean and shoot Picked up an AR 15 Bull Barrel rig for 500.00 guy said it was broke hell I dont think he ever cleaned it man was that Weapon dirty there was so muck build up that the bolt wouldnt lock up with forward assist .

I do however recommend Flitz polish for the barrel about a 100 strokes with a mop / or brush and follow up with a good and thorough degreaser this will really help your accuracy (one time application only not every cleaning)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts