Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When all of this assault weapons ban talk started up again I decided to buy a Zastava N pap 2nd. Gen. AK 47. I had already just bought a new Bushmaster AR 15/M-4. I took both of them to the range and was pleased with how both ran. No malfunctions whatsoever. I would highly recommend either. Here are some pros and cons:

Bushmaster: Accurate, expensive to shoot, .223 hard to find at the moment, tons of accessories, $950.00 new.

Zastava: accurate, Cheap to shoot, fun to shoot, good luck with accessories, 7.62x39 a better round than .223, $1000.00 new.

I like both rifles but I think the AK 47 is way overpriced these days, the AR 15 is moderately overpriced. In the long run if you shoot alot the AK will be more cost effective. They are both rugged, well designed guns. I don't get what all the controversy is about. I would not want to be downrange of either system and I don't make it a habit of throwing my guns under trucks. I have 15 magazines for each gun and 1000 rds. of ammo stocked.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Well the 7.62X39 maybe be better close up but once you hit 150 yards it all changes. and get to 300 the 7.63X39 is now a rock.
950 for the entry Bushy is high 1000 for an AK unless it is a true Russian version high but that is the world we live in.
Huldra gas piston AR selling for 1000 here now with 6 mags and nice carrying case.
In these times you take what you can get if you are will to pay it and enjoy
Are you shooting .223 55 gr in the 5.56 chamber with 1 in 7 twist? Nothing wrong with doing except the accuracy suffers groups will be expanded.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a Yugoslavian rifle and at 150 it is pretty much a boat anchor. The Bushmaster barrel says 5.56 1/9. But the 55 gr. .223 is what I'm sending downrange. Gun prices are still crazy here. 1,200.00 for an entry AR 15 and the milled AK's are priced at $1,500.00.

·
8,973 Posts
Ah, capitalism is wonderful. Thanks Mr. Pres. for sending prices thru the roof by your babble.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Man,I remember in the late 80's even when living in Kalifornia seeing type 56 sks's nib for $59.00 aks for about $300.00 I believe and spam cans for $49.00 a can,I wished I would have bought about 10 or more of each riffles and 20-30 or so cans now,not to sell but just to keep nearby.the stuff was just stacked everywhere at the lgs.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yep and Mauser 98's were going for $89 each and Mosin Nagants could be had for $50 or so. I can remember picking up a No 4 Mk I* Enfield for $115 around 1993 or so, try that now and I'm still kicking myself for selling that rifle.

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I picked up 1903 Springfield for $55 at Kmart(I was 18) my SKS in 87 for $75 I can think now what I wish I had done but as Mrs Retired Guard says hindsight is 20-20.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought a polytech legend 15 years ago for 900.00 that has the magazine with chrome follower, and cheap oil container. Still in plastic. I still have it. Guess what it's worth now?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
any one in so cal? the gun club is having a sale open to the public
their reg pricce right now for m&p ar is about 1199.00
m&p ar 223/556 is on sale for $719.00

im going to hit one for my younger son.

i love my sks. over paid at 800.00 but im not mad! i really enjoy it i think more than my sig and colt ars:D. Im glad i got it. its freaking heavy though. wouldnt change it for nothing.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
My dad had an M1-Garand that he used for deer hunting. It was all Springfield parts and looked like brand new. He sold it when Clinton did the first ban - I think for around $400. I wish he were still around just so I could cuss him out for that one. :-D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Shotlady I wouldn't worry about paying a panic price. Something or someone will eventually send them right back up again.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Not far off the subject but I lube my ARs and AKs with synthetic 20 or 30 weight motor oil, what do you use?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I use the same mixture for all my guns. 1/2 kerosine and 1/2 ATF (automatic transmission fluid)
It doesn't get gummy at very low temps and it doesn't collect dust and dirt like a lot of oils. It is a good match of ionic and non-ionic oils and I use a syringe (I made it) to apply a very small amount exactly where it is needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts