Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if we have any preppers who are into aquaponics here?

I remember seeing a guy on season 1 of Doomsday Preppers who had an aquaponic setup with tilapia and plants. At the time I thought it was a really neat idea. Up until tonight, I didn't realize there was a whole subculture of people doing this. I am just so impressed by the whole thing. I am going to start looking out for a cheap fish tank to try and tinker around with an inside growing system of my own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello, new to the site and just sent out a thread to anyone who maybe into the aquaponics systems, and saw your post after I posted. Sorry for the repeat!! Im just beginning my system, its not a large system but we are rural midwest and wanted something for indoors so I had veggies and fish all thru the year. Especially for winter months when prices sky rocket and veggies choices are crap at the grocery. Ive read, youtubed, googled anything I could on this and am completely infatuated with it. We are avid gardeners and fish keepers so I said hey why not at least give it a shot! We have a teacup potbelly family member who eats mainly veggies and some protien (fish) and thought this would at least give some relief to out of pocket at the grocery and what they offer anymore is questionable. We will see how this goes, I will keep you posted and get some pics going and will send them thru if you are still interested!!!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Its on my radar to study right now and even invest in - a little.

The thing is my wife and I have a nice home in California. There is a lot to like here including friends,
church, and even family. My wife was on board with moving to very rural Nevada next year where I've
been building (by myself) our new home. The cool thing about moving to Nevada is we will be self
sustaining about 90% (meds, TP, insurance about all we can't produce). I was really looking forward
to it because at our home in California our lot would never produce enough. Then my wife reads one
of the web sites I was scanning about aquaponics, and it says you can literally grow all of the
veggies you need in 25 square feet per person. Wow. She's like - we got more than that in the
back yard - not too mention we filled our back yard with 4 fruit and 2 nutt trees and still have
ample space for 150/300 square feet of vegetable ponds. She's convinced we can build this and
stay in California and just use the Nevada property for trips, hunting and bug out needs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is some incredible stuff... I haven't looked into anything like this. I agree with lae712, being from the midwest everything you can't get (or don't want to pay an arm and a leg for) during the winter months would be nice to have stockpiled to some degree. Great ideas. Hope to hear more on this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is one of the most invaluable books I have. Small pieces of info are offered here and there but this book is packed with every possible aspect of aquaponics; planning, hardware, plumbing, plants, fish, and the bacteria they all create.. Its a Great Book!!!!!

Aquaponic Gardening by: Sylvia Bernstein.
A Step-By-Step Guide To Raising Vegetables and Fish Together

·
Registered
496 Posts
I like the whole concept from hot house growing to the aquaponics, Just no room to do it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My system is a metal 5 shelf shelving unit with a 55 gallon tank underneath and is against one wall of my living room. I will send pics as i move along but check out pics on google and see how small of units people actually have! Check it out! You'll get addicted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is my system finally running!! Took some trial and error to get water flow adjusted. Next step will be grow bed media then fish to get the bio going. P1010331.JPG

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Here is one of the most invaluable books I have. Small pieces of info are offered here and there but this book is packed with every possible aspect of aquaponics; planning, hardware, plumbing, plants, fish, and the bacteria they all create.. Its a Great Book!!!!!

Aquaponic Gardening by: Sylvia Bernstein.
A Step-By-Step Guide To Raising Vegetables and Fish Together[/QUOTE

I'm definitely interested and will be getting the book. I have enough space and would like to give this a try. I'm thinking this would be great because it would be two birds with one stone and wouldn't take as much room as a traditional approach.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have posted another pic and more info in the canning and long term food storage forum. Thats originally where i posted before I found preppermama's post here. Got it going and plants in!!! Working great!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts