Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a S&W M&P9 and have been reading about a lot of people dropping an Apex trigger in to improve it. I've found a couple different ones at Midway and am not sure if I need the whole kit or the part without the actual trigger. I don't want to spend $170 on a trigger job if I don't have too. Anyone ever drop an Apex trigger in their gun?

whole kit: Apex Tacticalward Set Sear Trigger Kit Smith Wesson M&P $164.95

or do I just need the action enhancement kit: Apex Tactical Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit (AEK) S&W M&P 9mm $93

Any help would be appreciated. I'm a little confused here as to what I actually need to improve the trigger pull. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The primary things that effect trigger pull are how "clean" the edges of the trigger and sear are and the strength of the hammer spring. There are several other factors such as over travel, and under travel limits. Which are how far the trigger moves before it "breaks", and how far it moves after it breaks. How much slop there is in the fit of the parts themselves, and even the tolerances of the receiver their sitting in. Smaller factors even go on and on from there.

Factory triggers are heavy, gritty and terrible for legal reasons. Nobody can sue the manufacture saying "It just went off and I barely even touched it!", and heavy triggers reduce the chance of an accidental discharge if the weapon is dropped with the safety off (more law suits).

I'm SURE both of the kits you provided links to each improve trigger pull. And typically the more parts you replace the better the result due to improved tolerances and softer springs used. But I noticed neither of the two kits say anything about adjustability! To REALLY get a good, proper trigger pull either the parts have to be adjustable, or custom "tuned" to fit each particular gun by a gunsmith.

If your willing to spend between $150-$200 on a trigger, most local gunsmiths should be able to give you much better results than you'll get from drop in pieces. Just don't let internet hype talk you into going to less than a 4lbs. pull weight on any kind of defense weapon would be my advise! More important than pull weight is a clean break and travel limits. Which Apex makes no claims on. And "anodized aluminum"?!? Is a seriously CRAP material to build trigger components out of! WOW!

I say take it to a gunsmith and tell him exactly what your intended use is, and exactly what your looking for out of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts