Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I've read a bit and watched a couple of YouTube vids on Aquaponics but it mostly makes my brain cell hurt. In theory it should just about be the best thing since sliced bread once it was up and running. It's the building of an entire mini eco system that is intimidating.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Where I live I would need a structure to house a system because the temps outdoors range from triple digits in the summer to almost zero in the winter.
The building would require lighting and heat (and good insulation) to keep it working. It really isn't practical right now.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I was intrigued because while I have more than enough gardening space I get one growth a year - that's it. Aquaponics could feasibly make 2 growths a year feasible. It is labor intensive, day in an day out, unless you spend a small fortune on automation you have to attend to it far more than a back yard garden. It is prudent though for those with limited space and adequate time.

As for the advertiser if you sign up they'll send you constant emails (dialy) which are actually quite informative. Eventually you got to stop but I was impressed with the amount of material he shipped out - just for my spam email.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
It seems like it would be really great, but I'm not sure if its just a scam.
My first concern is that the reviews this system has are own its site and are written like a sales pitch. That usually tells you something. I think aquaponics are viable, but I think you have to be somewhere that has some stable weather, which are very few places in our country. But it seems like a lot of work followed with even more intensive maintenance and monitoring. Not sure the work in vs. product out would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I thought it was interesting from watching a video, but thought good ole fashion crop growing was more time tested and reliable.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you take a deep look into this system you will see that there are plenty of pros and cons. The system as stated is an entirely man made ecosystem set up and control by its human creator... Now if done right it will produce year round as someone has stated and correctly stated as well with it producing several crops per year...

To make this system effective I will tell you what I did....

I took the schematics for an average square back yard pool... the pool is 3.5 feet deep in the shallow down to 10 feet in the deep end. It measures roughly 20' X 55' which is more than enough. Once that was done I filled the deep end up with water, stopping level with the shallow end. with the deep end taking up 20 of the 55 feet of length that left me with 35 feet of dry space.

above the deep end you build a chicken house with mesh wide enough to allow the droppings to fall into the water but at the same time small enough to allow the chickens to walk unaltered and unpained... this is a key to this particular system.

the chicken waste reacts with bacteria in the water producing this green algae like plant.. Now if you can keep the temp in the water right then this will be perfect for Telapia. The telapia eat the veggies and almost anything else you throw in there... not to mention the chickens will eat it as well....

So what do we have so far... a pool, a chicken coop, water hole for fish and now a full circle system of food...

The chickens eat whatever it is that you feed them. They waste.. the waste drops to the water... The fish eat the droppings and or the bi product of it which is the veggie growth on the surface of the water....

Then you run a water system that pumps water from the fish area to the hanging garden you placed in the dry spot of the pool...

cover it all up with a couple walls and roofing like that of a green house and boom your set....

if you want to know anything else just ask... I got the idea from doomsday preppers in the event you all were wondering and made it work for myself....

take care hope that helped... There is so much to it I could do a long version of this but thought I was long winded enough here. Take care

-Gotta Stand For Something Or you'll Fall for Anything-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts