Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
This subject has been discussed quite a bit.

What do you imagine for a prepper group?
I'm not being snarky, just asking what you had in mind.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,594 Posts
Humans are social creatures. We have a propensity to seek out others and engage in interactions of all sorts.
This is the underlying instinct that drives people to look for like-minded people to "group up" with.

There's a problem with this instinct, however. If followed without caution, it allows for easy predation. This can lead to underhanded people taking advantage of unsuspecting victims.
Before you begin to engage with someone on any level that could pose a direct threat to your safety in the long run, you must really get to know the person. That's why we cherish conversations during social interactions so much.
You need to feel people out, not just first impressions or idle chit chat, but with long term relationships where you get to know the person's background and understand their plans for the future.

Only then should you open yourself up to sharing things such as your stockpiles of food, or your plans for surviving a harsh winter, or your opinions on a pending economic collapse, or your security protocols and defense strategies.
Only when you can truly trust a person should you even consider "grouping" with them to form a prepper community.
Without this relationship, you're risking a lot. You could have all of your preps stolen out from under you. You could entice unwanted visitors to show up and expect to be taken care of. You risk one person telling another person about your plans and preps, and having zero control over how that 3rd party deals with that information.
At the very least, you could end up with a "group" of people who don't really know or trust each other, and that can cause its own issues with internal power struggles or rumors, which can dash any benefits such a group may provide.

The topic of forming a "group" is not something I personally think is a good idea to advertise.
Instead, you need to start your own organic group. This would consist of close friends, family, and neighbors you've had long relationships with who have a shared interest in maintaining security in your local area.
Strength in numbers is always good, but you must be able to trust your numbers, or you'll only have the illusion of strength.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi- So I am from Middletown (Central NJ) and I am new to prepping and would like to surround myself with like minded people. Anyone interested in forming a prepper group? I am willing to search out locations and coordinate!

Thanks, Christine
Kauboy has some very valid points in his excellent response. We are living in some very messed up times. Be careful.

Godspeed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This subject has been discussed quite a bit.

What do you imagine for a prepper group?
I'm not being snarky, just asking what you had in mind.
Hi- Well, I think the basis for any group would be like minded people sharing thoughts, resources, concerns yet, not necessarily divulging personal info, maybe meeting an a public place such as a dinner or when weather is warmer, a park? Talking in general terms of course. I read the post below, and as a new prepper, I get it. Not looking to make myself or anyone else a target. So, to answer you question, I think I am throwing the thought out to like minded people who have ALOT more experience than I, and I am open to all suggestions. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Humans are social creatures. We have a propensity to seek out others and engage in interactions of all sorts.
This is the underlying instinct that drives people to look for like-minded people to "group up" with.

There's a problem with this instinct, however. If followed without caution, it allows for easy predation. This can lead to underhanded people taking advantage of unsuspecting victims.
Before you begin to engage with someone on any level that could pose a direct threat to your safety in the long run, you must really get to know the person. That's why we cherish conversations during social interactions so much.
You need to feel people out, not just first impressions or idle chit chat, but with long term relationships where you get to know the person's background and understand their plans for the future.

Only then should you open yourself up to sharing things such as your stockpiles of food, or your plans for surviving a harsh winter, or your opinions on a pending economic collapse, or your security protocols and defense strategies.
Only when you can truly trust a person should you even consider "grouping" with them to form a prepper community.
Without this relationship, you're risking a lot. You could have all of your preps stolen out from under you. You could entice unwanted visitors to show up and expect to be taken care of. You risk one person telling another person about your plans and preps, and having zero control over how that 3rd party deals with that information.
At the very least, you could end up with a "group" of people who don't really know or trust each other, and that can cause its own issues with internal power struggles or rumors, which can dash any benefits such a group may provide.

The topic of forming a "group" is not something I personally think is a good idea to advertise.
Instead, you need to start your own organic group. This would consist of close friends, family, and neighbors you've had long relationships with who have a shared interest in maintaining security in your local area.
Strength in numbers is always good, but you must be able to trust your numbers, or you'll only have the illusion of strength.
I hear you and thank you. As a single mom with two teenagers, I understand why you are saying this, the world has gone mad! I have begun to talk with family, friends and neighbors and the response I get is alarming to say the least. I feel alone in my search for safety and security. I watch many of the prepper online and it has been immensely helpful but, sorry to say, not enough. I believe we are in critical times and it is only getting worse. I am not the kind of woman to submit so, I read and want to learn. That’s the only intention I have, certainly not wanting to bring trouble to anyone else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Christine, I agree that Kauboy has hit the nail on the head. But since I have some time to kill I'll add my 2 cents. The forum in itself is a great place to start. You're really in a group just by belonging. Knowledge is the key to any successful endeavor so reading up here everyday will eventually get you where you need to be. But don't stop here. There are lots of online places that sell long term food and preps as well as information on what you may need to allow you and your kids to survive in a time of hardship or emergency.

Hording some preps and then sharing that info with only the people you deeply trust may be enough to get them started. If you can get them to join in, then Walla your personal group has begun. It's worked that way for me and I'm sure many others. the items to stock up on and prep with are literally endless.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi- So I am from Middletown (Central NJ) and I am new to prepping and would like to surround myself with like minded people. Anyone interested in forming a prepper group? I am willing to search out locations and coordinate!

Thanks, Christine
My name is Dan. Yes, I am interested in joining a prepper group. I live in an apartment in Bergen County. Perhaps we can start off virtually through Zoom meetings. Then, after gaining some critical mass, we can plan some in-person events. Let me know how you would like to proceed. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts