Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of getting this ready for a yard sell next weekend. I took a break because I was overwhelmed with all the junk/crap I have in my house. I know it's my fault, but what can I say, I'm a pack rat. I'm working on not being being one. Hence the reason we are having a yard sale next weekend.

Not to get to off track but I started a thread about a BOV, I have since traded that car in on a family car, with the plan to purchase a cheapish true BOV, thinking Chevy 1998-02 range. Thinking tahoe, suburban, silverado, but that a whole other can of worms.

But what really got me thinking is during my break I start watching Dante's Peak. And thought what if i was in that situation, not that there's a volcano near me, but just plug in whatever event you want. Now lets get back on the pack rat topic. Having all the crap I do would be pointless because it would all be gone. All the material things I've held on to would be gone in an instant. You would think I would have learned this in December of 2007 when my apartment burned down and I love a lot of different things. Ok bear with me a little longer.

So here's what I'm thinking. Because we are having a yard sale, I'm consider doing a MASSIVE de-clutter, more so than I was originally planing on doing. In a massive attempt to clear the house out and make some cash. Whatever doesn't sell I thought to take to good will or something and claim it on my taxes. I thought of taking all the money and putting it towards a dedicated BOV, something like the awesome suburban the movie Dante's Peak. It's an awesome rig, and with it being older enough it would be EMP proof. And it would be a nice little project to keep my busy, what can I say I love projects.

I guess what I'm getting at is while I know this makes sense, it might not be that easy to brake the pack rat habit. So has anyone else been through this, and if so how did it work out? Did you feel better that you cleared the house out? I'm guessing having the cash in hand at the end of the day helped?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think it is a Great idea. For me I am a minimalist at home. Only keep what we need and I really don't like little nik nak's all over the place. I get rid of the Junk all the time. Keep what is important and sell the rest.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is kinda what I was thinking. While I don't have many nik nak's all over. I used to collect alot of different things, comics, sports cards, hot wheels, etc. It's all in boxes in the garage and attic due to the fact I just lost my man room to make room for a new addition to the family. So I thought well I've not missed it so why not sell it all and start a more worthy project, in the form of a bad to the bone suburban.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I have to admit I am a bit of a pack rat myself but probably the biggest issue is not keeping things as organized in most cases as I should. Been getting rid of a lot of stuff the last several months and will probably get rid of a little more when I get back from San Diego on the 11th. My biggest goal is to get everything organized into totes and tool chest so I dont have to pull a tornado drill looking for something I need that I know I got...somewheres!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
My basic rule is if I don't use something for 2 years then I sell it.

There are some exceptions such as long terms prep items and irrigation pipe but I keep to it pretty well.

But when I sell something (as in your yard sale) put the money into a prep so it doesn't get wasted on whiskey shooters or 30-30 Winchesters (jab)

As long as you sell crap to get preps you are good, just don't spend the $$ on more crap.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I do the 2 year rule. I've bought a lot of garage sale tools this weekend. I need room, so if I haven't used it in 2 years it's gone.

Instead of having a yard sale where criminals have a chance to check out my property, I donate to LOVE INC. INC doesn't mean incorporated either.

By donating I hope to satisfy my tithing requirements.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My name come from my kids teasing me about "hoarding", they think I keep to much stuff, but I don't get rid of things of sentimental value. Sorry my children, but Grandpa's bookcase that's over 100 years old, and cedar chests, etc...just aren't leaving my home.

But like you, there is a limit to excessive...and I think I've hit it where holding onto butter bowls, clothing not worn in years, and some nick nack items are concerned. I have this 4th bedroom that is fixing to meet it's maker in just a few hours, it's meant to be our "prep" room, and it looks more like a nuke has exploded in there with many items that need donated or trashed.

Not to count, I really don't like my kitchen cabinets running over so much that it's obvious there is some stock-piling going on. Out of sight, out of mind.

So...yall wish me luck on my endeavor this afternoon...I may need it!:eek:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, I by nature, am a packrat. Ask my wife, she'll tell ya. I have been going through my house, grabbing stuff I haven't used in years and getting rid of it, or selling it. Trying to make extra cash to put in my emergency fund.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I'm a packrat, yet I'm a selective packrat. I do understand that certain types of disaster would remove any survival advantage of being a packrat. Though in defense of packrats...Prepper packrats tend to packrat items that further their survivability and avoid those items that don't further their survivability.

A Dante's peak type scenario being the case, A packrat is no better or worse off than his non packrat neighbors. It's the chance one takes packrat or not.

If faced with a slate cleaning catastrophic scenario, hopefully one has at least prepped a bug out bag and takes it with them. Given a sufficiently grave and extreme circumstance even that may not be enough to keep them alive for long.

Myself I'd shed the nonsense items in a yard sale in a heart beat. I'll hang onto the stuff that may come in handy, handy as in keeping me alive and helping me survive a disaster that doesn't clean the slate...

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Yeah, I'll admit, I fall into the pack rat category. I'll also admit I have things I really need to just get rid of. However, I do like to keep odds and ends around to come up with things I need, or repair things I have, that may break,in the future. Here's an example, at work I was given two small vacuum pumps, which also can work as a compressor. One I have in the shed as a small compressor. For airing up lawnmower, wheel barrel tires and such. The other I just mounted behind my work bench in my shop I use it to vacuum seal jars, ect.
The point is when I took home these vacuum pumps/compressors, I didn't even know what vacuum sealing was, nor prepping for that matter. So my advice is to get rid of the stuff you don't need, but beware of getting rid of the stuff that might come in handy in the future. Pipe fittings, nuts bolts, pieces of metal......ect. Might not be that easy to run down to the old hardware store and replace them in the future.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
im a minimalist, 6 month or damaged rule.growing up super poor i always saved things for the day that it wasnt so good anymore. Im talking i had big boxes of panties just in casae i couldnt afford to do laundry one day. i had a bunch of ran down stuff a round me. just to have. now i have very little and get over crowded easily when the boys move their stuff in on me. they have more "stuff" furniture and housing goods than i do. They are young and are new at "having" so i get the psychology of it all. only thing i really have excess of is guns. and i use them all. oh and tevas. i just love tevas. each pair have their landscape. other than that i dont have anything i havent worn in 6months or that is damaged or stained or waiting for a part. Im happy this way. very happy. my preps are organized and have clear purpose. having a project BOV doesnt sound like a good idea to me. have something that is in good repair and reliable, ready to rock and roll. does you no good if its on the lift.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Haha Shotlady

I actually do have the old underwear I replaced sitting in a tote somewhere.

A. I believe that the S is going to hit the Fan and so I figure my old underwear will be better than NO underwear. I consider this a prep.

B. I also have 3 totes full of old newspapers, we only get the Sunday paper so it took a while, I topped the totes off with old phone books (and the new ones the neighbors left on the ground near the mailbox).

C. Let me think.... I save my chicken food bags, seed bags, grain bags as they can be filled with sand for ballistic protection. I take and hoard all the soap and lotion and shampoo every time I stay at a hotel, I have casings and bullets and gun powder I don't use anymore but could be good in the future. I have lots of 1 1/4" black plastic pipe from the previous owners to my property, I don't use it currently but what the heck, some black plastic pipe could be useful in the future, I even went as far as to buy some fittings so I can have lots of options on how to use the pipe.

My point is, I will throw out useless stuff and sell the less than useless to buy more preps, but there are some things I will hoard until it happens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for all the feedback, it's good stuff. I wish I could say my pack rat stuff was prepper related, but it's not. It's all crap from my child hood, mostly toy collections, etc. If I went with the 2 year rule my house would have a lot less stuff, the 6 month rule, and probably close to empty with the exception of the kitchen.

Once I have my yard sale I'm going to try and put most of the money into preps, just not sure what yet. My original plan was to put it towards a BOV, but now I'm thinking start with a BOT(bug out trailer,lol). Reason is I currently have a 4dr car that will more than handle a 2K pound trailer. I'm thinking a small utility trailer something like the link below. But the reason going this route is it will be cheaper and give me extra storage for the car. Then once completed and I get the rest of my preps in order I could looking into a bigger vehicle, and still use the trailer if need be.

Shop Carry-On Trailer 5-ft x 8-ft Wire Mesh Utility Trailer with Ramp Gate at Lowes.com

Shop Carry-On Trailer 3-ft 6-in x 5-ft Wire Mesh Utility Trailer at Lowes.com

I like the smaller one better because it's cheaper, and small enough I can move it around loaded while not connected. I will also be forced to keep the weight down. I'm thinking stack it a little higher than the rails. Then adding my roof mount basket off centered and adding bicycle mounts, maybe a canoe mount. The intent is to not take the kitchen sink, but just a few extra supplies.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I only throw metal away after it has holes put in it from a high speed piece of spinning metal

I save scraps of wood, metal and plastic, nut's ,bolts,nails, and screws

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i have to bug out. my buildings are super prepped and stocked with things to use. i have 5 maint shops to hoard contruction things... im lucky that way. but in my house... naw. now hotel shampoos... im the worst and have a lot of that but its organized nicely :) and i can use that for barter. if im lucky enough to make it out with my car... its all on wheeled carts and will be 1 to 2 trips to the car. i cant miss my window when people are in shock. the window is more valuable to me than an extra trip of prepps.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Bug out? WTF is that, you can have my deed when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Until then I will have hot running water, lights, roasts and fresh eggs.

Based upon my sand bag supply it will take some determination to depose me.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Montana Rancher,
How many feet thick are your sand bags? I am trying to decide what my next gun will be.... JK ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts