Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed in the last few years an major increase in people looking for handouts. Back in the not too distance past we seen very few around here, and the ones that was, were older street people, someone with mental problems, probably somebody who really did need a few bucks. Now though, I'm seeing younger people mid-20s or so. Most always have a story: "forgot my credit card, just enough money for gas back home...." "My car broke down had to spend all my money to get it fixed now needs money to go home....". A few don't even bother with an excuse, just give me money. Most will, after you give them money or not, jump in a pretty nice car or meet up with his/her partner.
Anyone else notice anything like this, or is it just the "the world owes me a living" people just made around here?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Perhaps the unemployment and lower pay due to it those that have jobs get might just account for it. I've seen my delinquency of rent payments go up 100%, more actions of peoples stuff over past years and less occupancy. Oh and I have a self storage facility.

·
Registered
11 Posts
a friend of mine had this happen to him, the guy actually had the balls to say "Gee thanks" (sarcastically) from what my friend said he handed him like $3, and lately here theirs been a lot of those "donate to a cause" but just a printed out piece of paper on a coffee can nothing official just some guy printing out like "help the red cross" with no red cross symbol im not saying they are not affiliated with anything but its just suspicious to me

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's because most people are lazy these days. I blame a lot of our problems on the hippies. From what I have noticed through out recent history (big into history) is that many of our problems today started around the time of the hippies.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
There was a news story on some of these folks in Seattle when I was living there. Some of these folks make more than $500 a day.
My own experience with folks asking for money is sad. I was stopped coming out of the grocery store by a woman who told me she needed $10 to feed her three kids. I never give cash but I invited her to go with me into the store and I would buy her some groceries to feed herself and her kids. She got mad and swore at me saying all she wanted was 10 F'ing dollars.
I don't know what she was going to spend the money on or even if she had three kids but I kept my cool and told her I don't give cash but I would be happy to feed her and her kids. She didn't take me up on it so I can only assume that her reason for the money was not food for her kids. I have also stopped and given canned food to the beggars on the corner - they acted like I had personally attacked them. So I can only assume the the "anything helps" sign was not accurate.

I guess when you make over $500 a day extra canned food is kind of out of place.

·
Registered
855 Posts
A lot of it may be due to an increase in drug use also. Heroin use is on the increase and Methamphetamine use is still very high. Some of it probably is just due to laziness, I do not as a habit hand out money to people begging on the street. I would sooner pick up one of the guys with the sign will work for food, at least they're trying (not that I do that either). I might throw some change in a guitar case if someone is playing on the street and I have some lose change but people just pan handling get the standard "Sorry, can't help you" from me.

-Infidel

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the sad things for me is, I really wouldn't mind helping someone who found themselves in a bind, but what can you do when 97% are just lying, and perhaps make as much money begging as we do working?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Its happening here...rural community and 2 gas stations, one in which I worked in for a long time. We'd either get the law dropping off hitchhikers early in the morning who'd beg for coffee and a smoke, and the use of your cell phone...(gee thanks) to people running up on gas pumps coming in breathless and begging for gas to get to the next town. I had to learn to harden my heart against it.

My husband would travel between this state and Alabama every 3 or 4 weeks a few years ago with a job, and he'd be panhandled everytime he stopped in Montgomery or Birmingham. One man tried to get in the truck with him...and pleading for change for food. My husband who didn't carry cash would offer to buy food and when he didn't get the change...he dismissed him and panhandle the next one.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Which also makes me think of the time my husband called me in a panic. Now mind you, he's almost 200 miles from home with a dead battery after a pit stop potty break. What was I suppose to do to help with him 200 miles from home?

He asked one after the other if they'd give him a jump start and all refused, ignored him or cussed him and then drove off and left him feeling horrible. (My husband is a nice man...but they didn't know that) I had to call the Sheriff's department and explain to them what was going on and asked them to please help him, they did..and I am so appreciative of it.

But with people doing bad things, who could blame them for not helping him while stranded?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Just got home from a cross country drive from Florida to New Mexico and yes I totally agree. It seemed that just about every time I stopped for gas, a young person would approach asking for gas or money.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Entitlement is a disease in this country. Folks are led to believe that because they are born they automatically 'deserve' a life of easy living and wonderful possessions. It's not just panhandlers. I stress to my kids almost daily that nothing in life is free. Of course, all the folks receiving free stuff from the government might disagree with this philosophy. However, all that 'free stuff' actually comes from the hard work of somebody.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Entitlement is a disease in this country. Folks are led to believe that because they are born they automatically 'deserve' a life of easy living and wonderful possessions. It's not just panhandlers. I stress to my kids almost daily that nothing in life is free. Of course, all the folks receiving free stuff from the government might disagree with this philosophy. However, all that 'free stuff' actually comes from the hard work of somebody.
I agree that the message needs to get to the youth about entitlements and how there is no free lunch. It takes good parents like yourself to change the direction this country is going with it's future generations.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I want a hand getting out from under this government BS. If the government would stop trying to fix everything, maybe those that can do something to help will be able to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know in okc off I -40 and mcarther there is a rise in hand outs they have this island all warm down from walking back and forth . It seems every couple of hours it's some one new every time, wanting money not from me I look at them see how they react. I do carry extra lunch and small ziplock bags of dog food . I only give to those that are old and have dogs . I'm a sucker for dogs starving and give bottle water for them . 90 percent of the travelers with dogs ill give to if I recognize more then 3 times . I just go one . Try to do the right thing by giving the dogs flea and tick collars and heart worm pills . They animals are innocent in the situation but then again if cant afford to feed ur self how can you feed and take care of the dogs?

·
Registered
277 Posts
When I was stationed in Maryland from 92-97, I went to Baltimore almost every weekend. Before I even got out of the car there would be some one standing there asking for "money for food". I would always offer to follow me to the McDonalds around the corner I'd buy him what he wanted. In those 5 years only one person took me up on it.

Now living here in North Carolina, the local news came out and said the pan handlers are actually being run by a business. The business teaches them how to look poor, drives them to their corner and picks them up when there shift is over. Most of them are standing there listening to Ipods, and all of them have a cardboard sign written with fat black magic marker, like that's some kind of identifying mark or something.

It's sad because Jesus said for what you do for the least man, you do for me. Today you can't tell who is lying anymore.

I remember back in the late 70's my sister was giving money to that Sally Strothers feed the children. Good cause right? well the problem with it is now we are having to feed the children of the children we fed. Now I'm not saying we should have left them starve but Sam Kinisen had it right, "they live in the desert, food doesn't grow in the desert, don't send them food, send them U-hauls".

Now check out this website http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/, it explains the problem the government created, prepare to be infuriated.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Yes I have noticed an increase in both people wanting and expecting hand outs,

It began around November of 2007 and has increased substantially every passing day of the Obama administration.

The Government has suck seeded.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
I work a very rough part of the city of Richmond. Around 1130 every week day about forty to fifty folks with kids line up at the localchurch's soup kitchen (no they don't serve soup, just sack lunches). I felt sad for them, until around three when I was headed back to the office and passed the local stop and rob and guess what. Quite a few were standing there or on the corner next to it all with a brown bagand a 40 in it. Guess who feels sorry for the church for being scammed. But you never knw just who is doing what

·
Registered
938 Posts
I never give money to panhandlers, hustlers, or street scammers. If they can walk they can work.

If someone is disabled I will help them out.

I see a lot more people downtown near the gospel missions. And cardboard sign beggars near the local shopping malls. People always try and bum money at gas stations. I tell them I can't help you.

I feed the song birds in my yard. They appreciate the food, they sing me songs in exchange, show me their beautiful colors, and entertain me with their antics. But when flocks of starlings or crows show up, they won't leave until the food supply dries up. They hang around, bully the other birds, leave droppings everywhere, and become lazy freeloading nuisances. Even my wife's cat is afraid of the "bird gangsters."

You can learn a lot from feeding songbirds.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts