Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have the big idea that I am going to fill two 30 gallon trash cans w lids full of water just for extra water for flushing toliets in case water goes off, not for drinking. I'm in the south and mosquitoes could get in them I assume. What can I do to keep them out without ruining my water? I like to metal ones at home depot. Any tips on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Perhaps add some bleach, then seal lids with duct tape? Also consider placing them on flat rolling furniture moving platforms? Would make it easier to shift them around. Strap them to the platforms using cheap ratchet straps? HF is your friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,949 Posts
This is your first post?
Username checks out.
:p

It's not the ideal way to store water, but it's a creative way, so I'll grant you that. It's a good thing you chose metal. 30 gallons of water weighs 250lbs. That's good to know, because the lower portion of the can will be attempting to contain the pressure of the water pushing outward that is being caused by 200lbs of weight from the water above it. Plastic might struggle to do this for long.
It's also good to know in case you need to move it around. Plan for that weight and how you will manage it, or where you will put it so you won't have to move it later.

To avoid rust, even though the cans will be galvanized (water always wins in the end), I'd line the cans with heavy duty plastic contractor bags. Something in the 3-5 mil range.
If you are filling this from your own house water, then it's already been treated. Assuming you don't contaminate it in the process, additional treating should not be necessary. Some people like the peace of mind that a little bleach gives. It's up to you. 1/2 a teaspoon per 5 gallons of regular Clorox bleach is recommended to sterilize unsafe water. Since this is clean water and you won't be drinking it, you shouldn't need this much, but it won't hurt. It will serve to sterilize anything that might have been inside so you don't open it to find growth later on.

If you're worried about bugs, seal the lids with any tape worth its price tag.

BTW, head over to the New Member Introduction section and drop us a quick intro. We like to get to know folks who join us. Welcome!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If only for flushing, why worry about it getting ruined? Not sure how well metal would last or if it would rust but plastic may be better. Either way, if you fill them right away just put on the lid. If you plan to catch rain water or something similar that would take time to fill, then cover with screen, mesh or even an old sheet to help keep out bugs & debris. May not be perfect, but would lessen the amount of 'additives'

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Interesting idea, but I think the best idea I can give you is... don't. It's a short-term solution. I think it's doomed to failure over the long haul.

Start watching your local Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for large plastic containers. I snagged some 15-gallon containers that held carwash chemicals for $5.00 each.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Interesting idea, but I think the best idea I can give you is... don't. It's a short-term solution. I think it's doomed to failure over the long haul.

Start watching your local Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for large plastic containers. I snagged some 15-gallon containers that held carwash chemicals for $5.00 each.
Totally agree here. It’s great that you are thinking about the hygiene aspect of prepping, but this would only be a short term solution to a long term problem. I would suggest perhaps investing in a rain water catchment system using 50 gal food grade plastic drums. The drums are found pretty easily on Craigslist and other yard sale type outlets. Of course this is provided you live in an area where that is legal.
The metal galvanized trash cans have rolled seams along the bottom which will eventually fail. Most plastic trash cans simply don’t have the strength to hold that much water long term. They will last longer than the metal trash cans, but will also eventually fail.
I hope this helps and don’t get discouraged at the suggestion that your idea won’t work. When I first began prepping, I had little money and lived in a city. My idea to store drinking water was in used milk jugs. I took precaution to remove all the lipid particles left by the milk, but was told the milk jugs would break down and leak over time. I had no money to invest in long term water storage and went forward with my plan. In less than a year, the milk jugs had started leaking and made a huge mess. Often times the advice given by people who have been prepping a long time comes from trial and error experience. We give it to save newer preppers time and money.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Add a few tablespoons of vegetable oil. It will float on the top of the water and kill the mosquito larvae, should any hatch.
If you need to get the water, oil free, just use a siphon hose.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Howdy and welcome
I’m in Georgia, so I get the concern over mosquitoes.
This is my advice to you. Without knowing your situation I am going to assume you live in a house and not a apartment or condo.
You would be surprised how quick 60 gallons of water will get used. Even if it’s only for toilets. Plus the weight issue which has already been brought up.
If you have the space and a extra 100.00 then buy a tote or IBC. These come in 265 and 300 gallon sizes. If you get a used one made sure it was from a food grade setting. They discharge water from the bottom of the container and have a two inch valve.
You can fit the valve with a quick connect coupling that a garden hose can attach too. Most of them are made from dense HPDE plastic that will not rot and can take the weights. Most are also UV (don’t have to worry about algae) so they can be stored outside if needed. The top has a six inch cap with a gasket so it seals tight between fillings. I have had water in one for over 5 years with zero issues. For peace of mind I aerate the tank with a air compressor once a year just to keep it stirred.
BoF

·
Super Moderator
9,189 Posts
Where abouts do you live? Do you get sufficient rain to maintain a supply of water for your needs? I live in southern AZ and I still get enough water for what I predict I'll need. But I do store 250 gallons of water for drinking and cooking. I'd go with Box of Frog's idea of the tote.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Consider any number of 'big box' buckets with lids. Transportable. Each bucket is enough for a flush (can be poured directly into commode), no need to use tank. Lids will keep out bugs, etc. Just my 2¢

Reactions: newtopreppin

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I do live in a house in the deep south, we get lots of rain.
There’s the ticket.
Having a supply of something extra is good.
Having a way to replenish that supply is best.
Think long term, get a bigger container and refill with rain water. If you colllect rain water from gutter downspouts it should be filtered before you add it to your supply. Roofs and gutters are very nasty.
BoF.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Speaking of water, I collect a gallon a day or more just from my dehumidifier i have inside the house. It's a good size one, about the size of a 13 gallon trash can that you have in the kitchen. I bet you could drink it if you keep the coils clean and use a berkey filter.

·
Registered
10,870 Posts
Hi all, I have the big idea that I am going to fill two 30 gallon trash cans w lids full of water just for extra water for flushing toliets in case water goes off, not for drinking. I'm in the south and mosquitoes could get in them I assume. What can I do to keep them out without ruining my water? I like to metal ones at home depot. Any tips on this? Thanks.
Bleach should work to keep the germs out. Lid on it to keep the bugs out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Speaking of water, I collect a gallon a day or more just from my dehumidifier i have inside the house. It's a good size one, about the size of a 13 gallon trash can that you have in the kitchen. I bet you could drink it if you keep the coils clean and use a berkey filter.
Same here. We actually get about two and a half gallons in a 24 hour period from our dehumidifier, but I’m in Georgia where the humidity runs a tad on the high side already (Heck, I had to wear scuba gear to cut my grass last week. Lol). Keep in mind that if/when SHTF, there’s a good chance that power will be sporadic at best so the dehumidifier won’t be a viable option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
it’s a good idea on paper, but as stated that’s more of a short term solution.

we use two 275-gallon caged water containers, caged so that the pressure from the water above doesn’t blow the bottom out over time. they’re gravity fed with a 2-inch valve near the bottom. granted they’ve only been stored for 2 years thus far but we’ve yet to have any problems with them. also made with food grade plastic which prevents any nasty chemicals from the outside world from leaking in.

being down here in florida you’d be amazed how fast water gets used, especially during the “hot months” (8 of them). better to prepare more than you think you’ll need because it will go quickly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went to the hardware store and looked at the metal trash cans but they seem to be made with too many seams and I felt they would leak, so I got a 32 gallon plastic one, I got the heavy built one they had and it came with a lid, then I got some duct tape and a bucket to dip the water out when and If i need it. I think it would work for some extra water to have on hand and I can get rid of the whole thing if it ever starts to look rotten or something and wont be out much money at all. other than that I stocked up on canned soups/meats and new portable gas grill and added a noaa radio that i love. im listening to it now. I got the kaito ka500 but should have got the ka600 to have digital readout. a scanner may be next. thanks for all the comments!!!! U guys rock!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts