Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

So far, most of my food is single ingredients like rice, noodles, etc. I also have some military instant meals (you have to add water), but most of my food is "standard" food. As those ready-to-eat meals in aluminum shells are super cheap for what you get (USD 1.40), I am wondering if there are any reasons not to buy them. Me and the kids actually like the taste and they are already cooked. You can even eat them cold if necessary and they last more than a year.

Food Recipe Ingredient Rectangle Cuisine

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,866 Posts
Your only concern will be durability and longevity.
If you can pack them well, protect them from abrasion, keep them out of extreme heat or freezing cold, and avoid high humidity, they should last and be perfectly safe for consumption months or years passed their "best by" date, if Germany has such dates on your food. They'll lose nutritional value, but should be safe to eat. Their flavor will degrade too.
If you open anything that smells bad, trust your instincts and throw it away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your only concern will be durability and longevity.
If you can pack them well, protect them from abrasion, keep them out of extreme heat or freezing cold, and avoid high humidity, they should last and be perfectly safe for consumption months or years passed their "best by" date, if Germany has such dates on your food. They'll lose nutritional value, but should be safe to eat. Their flavor will degrade too.
If you open anything that smells bad, trust your instincts and throw it away.
Yes we have. In Germany every eatable item has the "best before" date. Also supermarktes always have a small separated spot where they sell those items that are close to that date. In general the put some stickers on those items. Like "30% off due to short..".

Font Material property Publication Gas Signage

So if you are on a budget and you wanna eat it soon, you can get food cheaper that will only last like 2 or 3 more days. Well,, "last". A lot of people here think that it will get bad after that day. But actually it just says "best before" and not "poisoning after".

·
Registered
10,219 Posts
Don't stock in columns.

This means once you find out what you like to eat, you choose one then start stocking up on that one exclusively. Find 10-12 different meals (at a minimum) then start buying those. Yeah, you may like Happy Jacks' Bugs n Worms entree, but if that's all you have purchased up to that point when SHTF, you're gonna get sick of it after a while.

So instead of buying 200 of them before you start stocking up on any others, buy 20 packages of 10 or 12 different meals at a time.

Don't forget to stock up on side dishes, treats, snacks and drink mixes as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for your helpful answers. Like I said, I do like the taste and so do my kids. So that's not a problem. I was just wondering if there are reasons not to buy these that I didn't know about.

The picture shows exactly that meal I am talking about, but also its just an example. They have different tastes. So one comes with rice, another with noddles, etc, etc

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Thanks to all for your helpful answers. Like I said, I do like the taste and so do my kids. So that's not a problem. I was just wondering if there are reasons not to buy these that I didn't know about.

The picture shows exactly that meal I am talking about, but also its just an example. They have different tastes. So one comes with rice, another with noddles, etc, etc
I haven't tried those that comes like a salad, though I'd seen them. I think I have a couple here with tuna that I meant to try. They'd be handy for sure.
You'd reminded me of them! Will have to visit that aisle again. :)

Some ready-to-eat meals like Campbell's chunky soup (a complete meal by itself), can be used as a stew to eat with mashed potatoes or rice. You can be creative with them.
I have a lot of ready-to-eat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some ready-to-eat meals like Campbell's chunky soup (a complete meal by itself), can be used as a stew to eat with mashed potatoes or rice. You can be creative with them.
I have a lot of ready-to-eat.
They are not really available here. You can get them in some wannabe "US-Shops", but they are super expensive. But there are many german brands and I am pretty sure they will offer almost the same. Will dig into it. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Since you know that you like them I would store as many as you feel is reasonable and that you will be able to keep rotated.

I'm not sure what your choices are there but here it's chicken, tuna, and salmon for the stand alone meats and they come in many flavors. There are also meals that include things like barley and rice. I keep a couple dozen on hand and we like them well enough that they are easy to rotate. Car trips, fishing trips, just had a busy day and there's not a lot of time to fix dinner, they come in handy.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Since you know that you like them I would store as many as you feel is reasonable and that you will be able to keep rotated.

I'm not sure what your choices are there but here it's chicken, tuna, and salmon for the stand alone meats and they come in many flavors. There are also meals that include things like barley and rice. I keep a couple dozen on hand and we like them well enough that they are easy to rotate. Car trips, fishing trips, just had a busy day and there's not a lot of time to fix dinner, they come in handy.

You guys are lucky to have so many choices with stand-alone meat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They are expensive, and the packaging is large, with all the colors, etc. these would be a dead giveaway to those who are desperate in need, that you have supplies. (In a SHTF situation, a dead giveaway means DEAD)
I focus on items such as bag rice, bag beans, and dry goods like noodles, and canned items. The idea is to minimize packaging and maximize the food component.
BUT, they are surely tastier than my bagged beans and bagged rice.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
They are expensive, and the packaging is large, with all the colors, etc. these would be a dead giveaway to those who are desperate in need, that you have supplies. (In a SHTF situation, a dead giveaway means DEAD)
I focus on items such as bag rice, bag beans, and dry goods like noodles, and canned items. The idea is to minimize packaging and maximize the food component.
These products are usually canned items too, and preppers know enough not to display them out in the open.

Ready-to-eat food (which means, open the can and eat from it) is a must in preparedness, imho - since it can fulfill a particular need or scenario.
For a lot of folks who are bugging in - camouflaging and hiding their stash in what space they have, is the only option.

Anyone desperate for food who gets in your house, and had gained the upper hand, and have the time....................... will rummage through everything.
They won't be fooled by packagings......... especially, if they know anything about prepping.

Some don't even need any knowledge about preppers. Bad guys who'd come could be anyone!
Career thieves and those involved with drugs as examples, know the usual places people hide their valuables.
Those who'd had experience with law enforcement (searches, comes to mind), will know where to look, too. They can easily apply their expertise in a SHTF situation.

That's just the sad reality of it.

·
Registered
10,219 Posts
Like, what... you have shelves of supplies sitting out in the picture window of your living room?

The biggest 'trick' to prepping is to simply not advertise. NONE of my neighbors know what I have. Very few in my family do either. And there's a gazillion ways to keep said supplies out of sight.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Big bags of rice and beans sounds great, but tend to get old real fast. Just ask any inmate that's done 10 years. 5000 Thursday pancakes breakfast is boring as all get out. The lad that said find 20 items you like is a good start, but you might want to boot it up to ssy 40-50 to get a good variety.

Also 2200 calories is a bare minimum. For active field duty the army sets 3 full mre's per day or close to 6000 calories.

So good luck with your planning

1 - 18 of 18 Posts