Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a huge Ruger fan for many years. Decided to try something new and bought the M&P FS 9 a few weeks ago. I have to say, it's the firearm I'm now most accurate with. Still love the Rugers, but the M&P has fast become my favorite. Kicking my own ass though. Just ordered the M&P FS 40 today. Should have done that in the first place since I can get a 9mm barrel from Midway for about $65 and drop it in the 40 frame. Oh well, doesn't hurt to have more guns. I'm going to get a 357sig barrel for it as well since it uses the same mags as the 40. Anyway, just wondering if there are any M&P fans on here. I'm finding in my research people either love them or hate them. Doesn't seem to be a lot of in between. I for one am sold on it. Keeping the Rugers. But the M&P has bumped them to the safe. Next on the list, M&P 40c. I'll be getting a 9mm barrel for that one as well.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I am on board with Ruger all the way.
That said M&P offers some fine weapons

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am on board with Ruger all the way.
That said M&P offers some fine weapons
Love my P series Rugers. The LC9 is my EDC. Was going to get the SR9 and last minute ended up going with the M&P due to a vastly larger array of aftermarket products. Can't say I'm regretting the decision at all. I may still pick up the SR9 or 40 someday. Depends on the funds, and the wife of course. She doesn't know I ordered the 40 yet. I'm probably going to be sleeping in the dog house for awhile.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Love the M&P's. Have three 9mm and two 45's. My favorite is the 9mm Pro Series, great trigger and the longer slide makes it a very accurate pistol and a soft shooter.

Never really had much time for the Rugers. Had a few and got rid of them. Worst was a LCP 380, couldn't get more than 2-3 rounds before it jammed. Buds Ruger P-85 was the most inaccurate pistol I've seen.

Can't wait for a M&P in 10mm to come out. Then I can ditch the Glock 20's.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I like the M&P's grips better than Glock. But with my Glock I don't need a gunsmith to fix the trigger like the Smiths.

I can actually shoot the Smiths better also.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I like all of the M&P series weapons. They are the only automatics Smith & Wesson have ever built that I feel are reliable enough to carry.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love the M&P's. Have three 9mm and two 45's. My favorite is the 9mm Pro Series, great trigger and the longer slide makes it a very accurate pistol and a soft shooter.

Never really had much time for the Rugers. Had a few and got rid of them. Worst was a LCP 380, couldn't get more than 2-3 rounds before it jammed. Buds Ruger P-85 was the most inaccurate pistol I've seen.

Can't wait for a M&P in 10mm to come out. Then I can ditch the Glock 20's.
After I get the 40c, I've got my eye on a 45. I've read some good and bad reviews on the 45. But I assume by this point the bugs have been worked out. I also read a lot of complaints about the standard trigger but I don't find it to be bad at all. Eventually, I would like to get the 40 Pro version with the better trigger and night sights.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed AGI has a course for 39.95 on how to service your own M&P's. I've never done any gunsmithing. However, I would like to be self reliant in the event that no one is around to fix my firearms for me. Does anyone know anything positive about the courses they offer? Or, are they just a waste of time?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The M&P series of pistols are fine weapons. Better ergonomics than Glock. The 9mm is a very soft shooter. The triggers are not the greatest out of the box but APEX makes some great products that get them fixed right up. The Pro Series have factory worked triggers that are a great improvement over the stock trigger. They are very accurate and trouble free. One of my favorites.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
I'm an M&P fan all the way. Their overall feel suits me real well. Good sights, nice rail under the barrel for a light, accurate and the full size .45 is my main go to weapon. The M&P Shields are slim and very light, great for warm weather CC.

·
Administrator
15,003 Posts
I love Smith & Wesson's Military and Police model. You know, the one they started calling the Model 10 back when they began assigning numbers back in the 1950's.:mrgreen:
For you young guys, the M&P (aka Model 10) was, according to some, the finest revolver S&W ever made. 38 Special was the caliber, mine has a barrel length of 5". The most common was 4", followed by 6".
The S&W custom shop carries new reproductions starting, I believe, around $800.

I'm glad I got to live during the Golden Age of handgunning.
Col Cooper, Elmer Keith, Skeeter, Sherrif Jim Wilson, etc.:D

If you are under, say, 40, do yourself a favor and find a geezer who has and enjoys fine revolvers and give them a try. You might be pleasantly suprised.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought an S&W M&P AR 15 upper. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but seems to be well put together for the price.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would suggest getting the storm lake 9mm conversion barrel for your 40. The barrel hood is sized to fit the wider breech face and it improves lockup and accuracy over using a factory 9mm barrel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I love Smith & Wesson's Military and Police model. You know, the one they started calling the Model 10 back when they began assigning numbers back in the 1950's.:mrgreen:
For you young guys, the M&P (aka Model 10) was, according to some, the finest revolver S&W ever made. 38 Special was the caliber, mine has a barrel length of 5". The most common was 4", followed by 6".
The S&W custom shop carries new reproductions starting, I believe, around $800.

I'm glad I got to live during the Golden Age of handgunning.
Col Cooper, Elmer Keith, Skeeter, Sherrif Jim Wilson, etc.:D

If you are under, say, 40, do yourself a favor and find a geezer who has and enjoys fine revolvers and give them a try. You might be pleasantly suprised.
I have a Model 64. I love S&W K-frames! Dead accurate!
I have been looking for one of the new Model 10 "Classics" as Smith calls them. Not been able to find one locally. I have seen them as low as $610.00 on Gun Broker. I just don't want to deal with that hassle.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Absolutely love my M&P's. I have the full size frame 9mm and I have their PSX AR-15. Both are of the highest quality, and are supremely reliable.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I really like the M&Ps but I have too much money into my glocks to switch now. If I were starting out today, knowing what I know I'd buy M&Ps instead. Sadly they weren't available when I started buying glocks.

Maybe if I one day come into a huge pile of cash that doesnt have a better home I will make the switch.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I really like the M&Ps but I have too much money into my glocks to switch now. If I were starting out today, knowing what I know I'd buy M&Ps instead. Sadly they weren't available when I started buying glocks.

Maybe if I one day come into a huge pile of cash that doesnt have a better home I will make the switch.
It's still too late for me to make the switch also.

·
Administrator
15,003 Posts
I have a Model 64. I love S&W K-frames! Dead accurate!
I have been looking for one of the new Model 10 "Classics" as Smith calls them. Not been able to find one locally. I have seen them as low as $610.00 on Gun Broker. I just don't want to deal with that hassle.
I found my Model 10 in a pawn shop for $250. Holster worn from being carried much, most likely by a cop. The wear on the bluing gives it character. The trigger is as smooth as silk.
For $300 in the same shop I found a 4" Model 15 Combat Masterpiece. One of the sweetest handguns ever made.
What I really, really want is a 1950's 4" N-Frame 44 Special. What John Taffin calls the PPP - Perfect Packin' Pistol.
Glocks are fine for those who like them. I'd rather have a 60 year old S&W revolver myself.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

It's never too late to collect more firearms. Unless you live in California (sorry guys). Then it's never too late to move back to the USA and collect more firearms.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts