Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was watching doomsday preppers and this lady oiled some eggs and they soposed to last up to six months.I'm not sure i wanna try that i rather go with powder eggs.was wondering if anyone had techniques they wanted to share.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
If you have ever enjoyed eating powdered eggs you are in the minority. If you have the ability it would be best to raise chickens for your eggs. That way you get fresh eggs and as the layers stop producing you have chicken to eat and more chickens to lay.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm stuck in the minority then i live in an apartment i doubt manager ok with chickens :) he's ok with my veggies but pets not allowed

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
You might have some co-ops in your area - check and see if there is a place where you can expand your garden and maybe keep some chickens in a penned area. Maybe a local farm if there are any you could approach them about having a chicken pen that you maintain and allow them to use the manure for their garden. You would have to care for them - feed them once or twice a day and clean up the pen - but it would give you the experience and make a friend who might be of more help in the future.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I posted this before but I mix my own chicken food.

2 parts corn
2 parts red wheat
1 Part soy beans
1 part alfalfa
1 part oats

I keep galvanized lined garbage cans in my garage and grind them coarse on my "country living grain mill" every couple of days

The advantages are you have about 800lbs of grain stored in rodent proof cans on site and you can feed your chickens and yourself as you go.

Plus your chickens get fresh ground food which makes their tail feathers wiggle.

Plus the feed is 30% cheaper than store bought mixed rations.

Add some free choice oyster shells for calcium and you have some really happy pecker heads and eggs you don't have to store for 6 months though the
original post is correct, eggs keep for months.

FYI a 33 Gallon Garbage can will hold 200lbs of grain.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm about a year away from starting to raise chickens. Which means my kids are about a year away from being old enough to care for them! I have not seen the chicken feed mix you posted about Montana. Thanks, I'm going to save it in my chicken file for future use.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I too, will save the recipe. Thank you Montana Rancher.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
In my youth I had 5 children at home (my last one graduated this year from HS 3.93 GPA, did I mention private Christian school?)

Anyway when the kids were all home we raised 100 Cornish cross chickens (meat) and EVERYONE helped butcher them. Back in the day they made faces and bitched and moaned about it but every year from then on they reminisce about the memories. Same thing with bucking 120 tons of hay by hand onto a flat bed trailers. I drove them hard but anymore it is their fondest memories and we still get great family reunions unless one of them is deployed.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Like my kids tell me.... you're a good dad!

It seems strange that kids remember their worst times with fondness once they realize that they needed the discipline along with the love to grow up to be real people.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I have used "waterglass" to preserve eggs - that is the common name for Sodium Silicate. The chemical dries to a hard shell but it is water soluable. You can rinse it off and then crack your eggs. The down side is that Sodium silicate can be poisonous in large enough quantities so using the mineral oil makes it that much better.

Sodium Silicate is also a fire retardent and can be used to make wood or other combustibles "fire resistant". It can be poured into a leaking radiator to seal a pinhole leak (some antifreezes have it as an additive).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I grew up like that too.my parents raised chickens for eggs and meat,pigs and cows.we never ate grocery store keat when i was little i used to help my mom with the chickens to make sure i got the fret and the eggs lol when it comes to shtf living i can thank my parents for my skills.island living pretty much its shtf living with all the hurricanes we get so I'm ready.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The only method I know to preserve eggs is to pickle them after you boil them, and even then, without refrigeration, they are only safe to eat for a couple of weeks.

If you want to buy food to store, I recommend Mountain House backpacking food. A full meal costs under $6.00, they have a lot of variety in choices, they are light and packable, they store for a long time, and they taste good. And I still swear by beef jerky and hard salami.

I also prefer canned foods. Not as easy to pack on your back, though.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
I was out for a walk yesterady and ran across someone out of town on a 4x4 who commented on my intention to store food on my hike this summer. He instisted that bears would get any food I stored. We chatted he suggested hanging it far out away from bear reach, but I though up an alternative, burrying it airtight in shallow water under a foot or so of sediment, as a way of not letting the bear get scent of it.

I actually came within 30 or so feet of a black bear yesterday, and found a bear skeleton, so they are out here, their range is quite wide including parts of the continental US. If you have wild animals, take into account that they might try to get it.. so you need to plan your food storage in mind of that.

Note that he mentioned the bears even managed to tear open steel drums to get the food inside..

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm struggling what to do with eggs we don't use. It's a shame they are hard to preserve long term. If we don't use them or sell them or pawn them off on family members, I donate them to people who need them. I'm nervous about using 'water glass'. I don't hesitate to use eggs that are a month old and been in the frig. I suppose if the SHTF, we will eat those eggs daily and if and when we can't feed the chickens we eat them next. Some one offered me one of those 1000 year eggs the Chinese eat, and I couldn't bring myself to eat the thing. It was totally black and gel like and smelled awfully sulfur like.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I was out for a walk yesterady and ran across someone out of town on a 4x4 who commented on my intention to store food on my hike this summer. He instisted that bears would get any food I stored. We chatted he suggested hanging it far out away from bear reach, but I though up an alternative, burrying it airtight in shallow water under a foot or so of sediment, as a way of not letting the bear get scent of it.

I actually came within 30 or so feet of a black bear yesterday, and found a bear skeleton, so they are out here, their range is quite wide including parts of the continental US. If you have wild animals, take into account that they might try to get it.. so you need to plan your food storage in mind of that.

Note that he mentioned the bears even managed to tear open steel drums to get the food inside..
You might check out commercial bear canisters available.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
You might check out commercial bear canisters available.
A good way to cashe supplies and food in bear country is to put out decoys. Burry your stuff and then close by pour bacon grease over stumps or a rotten log. The bears will tear the wood apart but the strong scent will keep them for discovering our real supplies. I would guess sprinkling black pepper around on tHe ground would sufficiently throw the off the scent as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts