Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Computer is dying, bless its little hard drive.

Any suggestions for a decent but very cheap laptop? I do nothing but read the news and blather on a couple boards. This thing has gotten to where it isn't worth the trouble to come to the board and I've been using my tablet for reading the news.

Any ideas? All are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Toshiba satellite laptops are okay. BestBuy bundles them with a soft case and mouse for less than 4 bills...370 something...enjoy window 8...lol

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I'm on a first year iPad still and though it's battery collapses more quickly today then in the beginning I'm still good with it. Since I took the teaching gig I found out I get a discount at apple plus they have a good collection of refurbished computers so if this gig continues I may go with a Mac book. Otherwise based on what you wrote why not the $249 chrome book? I'm thinking that's a possibility too. My notebook is 7 years old and I use it in dire circumstances only today.

Computer is dying, bless its little hard drive.

Any suggestions for a decent but very cheap laptop? I do nothing but read the news and blather on a couple boards. This thing has gotten to where it isn't worth the trouble to come to the board and I've been using my tablet for reading the news.

Any ideas? All are appreciated.

·
Registered
24,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chromebook! OK, that looks like an idea!

See, this is why I always hang out with people who are smarter than me.

I'll be getting one of those after I recuperate from my son's college bill for this semester.

Until then, I'll see y'all whenever I have the patience for this tired thing or for knucklepounding the virtual keyboard of the Tablet.

Thanks again for the ideas, y'all!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I'm trying to find the down side to the Chromebook. I see they offer an ACER too for $199 but that company never has had a good reputation. The one down side I'm seeing to the chromebook is no hard drive - they pretty much give you a cloud like drive free for 2 years and then make you start paying a subscription for it - IDK - how much that might be - but its 2 years down the road too.

Still at $249 for a Chromebook vs $1200 for a Macbook I'm reconsidering the Mac even wtih the edu discount or a refurbished model.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I know a lit of folks are on board with the apple thing but I continue to wonder why! Costs are higher, performance us nothing to write home about and most if the hardware is shared these days. If a Mac can do it so can a PC.

Then there is software availability, which is like 1000 times as much for PC as for Mac. Virus protection used to be a selling point but that is no longer the case.

I find that most if the apple/Mac selling points stem way back to win 3.0 days, but sheesh, that was what, a century ago? Wow, you can click on stuff and macs are "cool." Really? I even get wanting to swim against the current, but not for an extra $1000.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Its a good point. My iPad was a gift from my brother and my wife has been shocked how much I use it. I wish it tracked hours of use because I got hundreds on it - actually thousands. I had an iPhone before it came out and have always enjoyed what the iPhone could do, but I am annoyed at the high cost of the iPhone (monthly). Even when you get one with a contract the monthly is killer. I tried to get away from AT&T once and go TMobile with a 30 dollar a month plan and limits - couldn't do it. They had horrible coverage and my wife travels in some areas where I NEED her to be able to call out. So we go free 4s' phones after the 5 came out and are on contract again at $127 a month for the two of us. (after her discount through an employer). I have had some sales jobs where the phones are useful and its that, the iPhone, which makes me look at apple.com products. It works, it always works, it works good, does everything I want, and so its natural to look at their computers. But you are right - the cost just isn't worth it.

I know a lit of folks are on board with the apple thing but I continue to wonder why! Costs are higher, performance us nothing to write home about and most if the hardware is shared these days. If a Mac can do it so can a PC.

Then there is software availability, which is like 1000 times as much for PC as for Mac. Virus protection used to be a selling point but that is no longer the case.

I find that most if the apple/Mac selling points stem way back to win 3.0 days, but sheesh, that was what, a century ago? Wow, you can click on stuff and macs are "cool." Really? I even get wanting to swim against the current, but not for an extra $1000.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
A couple of months a go I was in the same boat my desktop died, it was old and would have been expensive to rebuild. Time to get something new, I went with a laptop, I thought about a tablet and even looked at a few, yet I wanted a reasonably good sized screen and a keyboard. I was surprised that a lot of laptops were relatively inexpensive. Windows 8 kind of threw me at first and now I'm liking it. It's different and very fast.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Denton, if you are planning to scrap the one you have, why not try a massive cleanup first? Uninstall and remove anything you don't need, then run a registry cleanup program such as WinASO Registry Optimizer, and then defrag your drive. You could find it runs as good as new.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I sell Technology products for a living, my suggestion is to stay way from Chromebooks, they are cloud based. Clould basised technology + no internet = door stop. Don't be afraid to look at refubrished product now adays I will sell refurbished PC's 5 to1 to new PC's. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I work in the IT industry - programming and some training. I have been using Dell Latitudes for the last 10 or so years because they always had the reputation of being pretty much indestructible. Up until my current one, I think that was a reputation that was well deserved. (I travel about 40 weeks per year so my laptop is constantly being banged around in airplanes.)

That being said, I too have started shopping for the next one and I am thinking about going back to Dell (even though I have sworn for the last two years that I would not). Lenovo is a non-starter because it a Chinese company, HP/Compaq eh, I do not like the keyboard layout on Mrs Inor's Toshiba. Plus, it does look like they have fixed a lot of the problems that I have with my current Dell, and they have the added benefit of still offering Windoze 7 instead of 8.

And just to properly offend the Mac users on the board:

Q. Do you know the one thing a PC user can do that a Mac user cannot?

A. Shut the hell up!!!! :razz:

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
You could do what I did. I recycled my old desktop and loaded Linux on it.
I downloaded Linux (Lubuntu) for older and slower machines - the current version 12.10) and never looked back.
The only problem I had with it was double clicking which opens two of whatever you double click.

It forces you to use a password logon but I always did that anyway.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Tiger Direct always has some fair deals on new and refurbs. If that's all you use it for than you don't really need much. Most people don't really need the biggest, baddest computer out there today for their needs. Simply running the net and needed apps doesn't take that much for a modern computer. If your not taking the computer around and it's simply a stay home computer, than a desktop with a separate monitor can be a much better, longer lasting home computer. Laptops have a shorter shelf life normally as there not as robust and you're combining the two together with a less robust wiring connection. If the monitor goes out on the laptop your in trouble too and monitors in my experience go before the computer if you keep your computer healthy by running good cleaning software like CCleaner, anti-virus software and reformat from the operating and driver disks when things get sticky over time. I have to have a copy of the operating system and drivers disks with a computer or I don't want it. You save what you need to backups like usb sticks or another drive and reformat taking the system back to fresh again. Every new computer is so loaded with marketing and app crap, I prefer to reformat it from the start and only load what I want on it, but that's not for everyone of course. It's out of fashion to some, but I still like Dell's. They've got good deals most of the time and you can get the reformat and driver disks for your system from tech support. The day the stop giving them is the day I won't buy one from them anymore.

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Laptops & Notebooks at TigerDirect.com

Desktop Computers & All-In-One Computers ? Home & Home Office | Dell

·
Registered
425 Posts
Also shop Amazon and Newegg. Newegg beats Tiger in most things and has been my go-to resource since the late 1990s.

I build my own desktop units and my current build is now 7 years old, but incrementally improved piece by piece. I now score 7.4 on Windows experience with an old machine. I could bump that to close to 9 if I went SSM, but probably save that for a new updated motherboard. Just swapped CPU for an e9550 over clocked to 3.4.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It's worth mentioning again that Dell is still selling computers with Windows 7. A friend of mine just bought a new computer running Windows 8 and hates it. I always hated Macs operating system and that's why I stuck with Windows PC's. Helping him with the new one going through Windows 8 made me think about buying a new desktop with Windows 7 before you can't get them anymore, even though I don't a 100% need one right now. Man, whoever thought that was a good idea should be lined up with Bill and hit in the balls with a wiffle bat 5 or 6 times. Talk about a plate full of fried suck. I learned to use it, but hate it and don't want a computer with it. The rep said a person can switch it to a traditional Windows running format, but I don't want to jump through hoops. Windows 7 is a solid, smart system to me and I'm running it right now and happy doing so.

windows-8-start-screen.png

·
Registered
922 Posts
+1 on the Toshiba Satellite mentioned above. (C55-A5285) I picked one up last weekend after my old XP machine started showing signs of going to that big computer graveyard in the sky.
I haven't been on here for a month because of that. I do have a lot of catching up to do.
I'm still learning Windows 8. Can't say I like it very much, but...
The biggest complaint is the speakers. They sound like something out of a 10 cent toy.
750Gb memory. I'll probably never fill it up

Reactions: Seneca
1 - 20 of 37 Posts