Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you can tell in my Avatar and Profile, I am an ATVer. My favorite places to go riding is the Colorado Mountians and Utah. They are open trails going for miles and miles to some of the best places in the USA.

I also keep my ATVs ready for bugin out and for scouting vehicles incase of SHTF. Most ATVs get around 18-25mpg and can carry alot fast over rough terrain. I have two and both can make it to my BOL (160 miles direct routes, 200 indirect routes) on 2 tanks of fuel at a moderate pace on paved/gravel surface and 3 tanks off road. A 4x4 jeep or truck can carry alot more but will go slower over rough terrain due to their suspension. Which can be rememdied by aftermarket setups but still they are big. What I am thinking is clogged roads to get out of dodge and the smarts ones will be taking the back roads that will eventually clog up. Thats when the ATVs become handy.

UTVs are becoming more and more popular and are on the same principle, lots of suspensions, low pressure tires and move fast.

Most ATVs and UTVs average 45-50mph with the smaller CCs, ie 250cc/300cc/400cc/500cc. But with the larger bore CCs we are talking 55-60mph and now there are models that go upto 70mph. However on the trail, offroad the average speed is around 20-35mph. In colorado we have taken trails at 55mph at 12,000ft above sea level.

I could go on and on about this subject, so if there is any interest let me know.

for now, some pics.

the following is from West virgina, Hatfield and McCoy trail system.

WV 2011 033.jpg

WV 2011 072.jpg

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Not all of me, same place.

WV 2011 013.jpg

WV 2011 079.jpg

WV 2011 093.jpg

ok, that last two are me on my two quads.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are of Colorado;

2010-09-13 10.28.52.jpg

2010-09-13 10.23.39.jpg

2010-09-13 10.35.59.jpg

2010-09-13 10.43.41.jpg

·
Registered
296 Posts
Bro I go wheeling ALL THE TIME!! Not to often on quads or side by sides couple times though but mainly my rigs. . . Check out this thread I just posted my rigs there this morning and dont want to mess with photobucket anymore. http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/strictly-bug-out-vehicles/137-photos-your-bov-3.html

You should check out wyoming sometime too they dont have the "Stay the Trail" Program so you can go off trail or anywhere you want really free range if you will. Some AWESOME locations around rock springs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know, My group is heading to the bighorn mountains next week for a week. I started a new job about this time last yr so I have gained enough Vaca time to go. If they waited another 2 weeks I would've been able to go.

Bro I go wheeling ALL THE TIME!! Not to often on quads or side by sides couple times though but mainly my rigs. . . Check out this thread I just posted my rigs there this morning and dont want to mess with photobucket anymore. http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/strictly-bug-out-vehicles/137-photos-your-bov-3.html

You should check out wyoming sometime too they dont have the "Stay the Trail" Program so you can go off trail or anywhere you want really free range if you will. Some AWESOME locations around rock springs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Love the jumps, but you don't jump the Ute ATVs. I found out the hard way, broke too many parts in the diffs too many times before I learned. If you saw what terrain I was jumping back then, you'd understand what I mean.

I never got into the racing side of ATVs, got started with mudding at the local ride area (mostly mud holes). Then I bought a new ATV in 2004 and went to Montana, stopped along the way in Utah and was hooked on open area riding. Never really touched the mud stuff again, However my quad has a steering problem I need to look in to, as it keeps steering into them :p

My wife is not happy as I intend, within the next 2yrs, to make my next offroad Vehicle a SxS (side x side) the kind I want is in the 16k+ range. More then I want to spend and hopefully I can find a good unabused used one for about half that. wish me luck.

I was into ATVs years ago, now I'm into offroading with Jeeps. I had my AMA numbers and started to race, but a bad wreck stopped that real fast.

View attachment 328

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually have not been riding since the West Virgina trip last Oct. I started my new job the day I got back from that trip and have not ridin my Quad since. I just got the batts all replaced (went bad due to sitting unused too long and the trickle charger got unplugged by some little boy,, aka my son) tires aired up and cob webs blowed out in prep for winter riding and hopefully snow removal. I have a plow on my big 800cc and I plow my cul-de-suc and some elderly neighbors drives and others if they ask, just for fun. Any excuse to ride is a good one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2011-06-04 10.17.09.jpg

2011-06-04 10.17.52.jpg

2011-06-04 11.51.11.jpg

My 8yr last summer in montana
2011-07-13 11.54.10.jpg

family riding in montana
2011-07-13 14.55.50.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts