Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hope I'm wrong and we are all just a bunch of paranoid nut-jobs but I was thinking that many people don't own their homes or live in apartments. "If" something happens the best they can hope for is a month (actually the remainder of the current month) that they can legally claim residence there. If they BO everything they leave behind will be gone.
OK even those of us fortunate enough to own our homes will risk anything left behind due to looting or theft but something might remain. Important stuff to the owners but not so much for looters such as photographs etc.
That really sucks! With few exceptions everyone I know has worked really hard for what little they have and to lose it all because of crooked politicians makes me want to gag.
I don't know how to prepare for that.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Property taxes shouldn't be an issue. It takes two years beyond the year of default before there can be a tax certificate sale. Then the certificate needs to be foreclosed on in court which is another lengthy process. If the offices are open for sale of tax certificates, courts & so on, it's possible to pay your back taxes.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Retrain you thinking a bit. IF and I do stress IF STHF ownership will be reduced to what you can hold and defend.
There will be no Eviction notice from a court. It may be a armed person kicking you out.
The rule of law, current expectation of right and wrong will be the first to go.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Retrain you thinking a bit. IF and I do stress IF STHF ownership will be reduced to what you can hold and defend.
There will be no Eviction notice from a court. It may be a armed person kicking you out.
The rule of law, current expectation of right and wrong will be the first to go.
Agreed,if all dominos fall,where would I send my mortgage payment?I may be wrong,but if the gov falls so will the banks,and even if they didn't,sending out a debt collecter would/could be a suicide run.My house is not yet payed for all the way,yet in a shtf senario,that is one of the least of my concerns.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I sometimes think about all those who depend on the Colorado river for water--yet live many miles away. What happens when the power goes out and/or pipelines are broken?
Scary , there are so many areas that basically have legally stolen water from other areas and with out massive system the water will never get there.
Southern CA would be out of water in no time.
Look what is going on in GA now in a fight to take TN water.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Yes. TG I have a well and live 100' from a river that's been running since the last Ice Age
Beside the cold keeping people out another advantage to being here this part of the Midwest has a lot of water. Here even a sand point will hit good water.

·
Registered
496 Posts
.... even those of us fortunate enough to own our homes will risk anything left behind due to looting or theft ....
Hate to sound cold, but it's just stuff. Warm bodies, followed by food and ammo are the priority. Should I have to leave here, anything I leave behind is considered written off. As I am aware that for me and DW, leaving means drive and it'll be the RV with the P/U and the twin axel trailer which I'm going to convert from a two ramp auto hauler to a flatbed so survival needs and guns can loaded easily. My Granfmother used to say that her life became better when she learned to determine the difference between wants and needs.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
As
I am aware that for me and DW, leaving means drive and it'll be the RV with the P/U and the twin axel trailer which I'm going to convert from a two ramp auto hauler to a flatbed so survival needs and guns can loaded easily. My Granfmother used to say that her life became better when she learned to determine the difference between wants and needs

I like the way Grandma thinks, smart woman! I think there is a lot to be said for that!

Not a bad idea. At the moment I am a full time RVer and I have thought about this long and hard. A large Cargo Van, small school bus, Cube Van, could actually be quiet accommadating and hold a lot of stuff, be mobile and reasonably cheap to maintain. Unlike a home or other property the tax liability would be minimal. Since its something that would spend most of its time parked fuel consumption should be minimal. Probably lots of places to park them on the down low and you always have the ability to move to "greener pastures". It could also be pretty cheap as well.

I have a large boat (37") too and I have also thought about keeping a good stash aboard it. It could make for a good little getaway and living space should times get really tough. It could always be anchored close to shore in a worse case scenario and you could always "commute to the beach" to work or what ever.

I guess there are a lot of options here that could work. But I do think those that are in apartments would find themselves screwed pretty quickly! I guess thats the big take away here. Maybe one would be better off with a small older home with that Grandmas way of thinking if you can enspouse that and live okay with that mind set.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I recall apartment living. In that day and age I think I could have carried everything I had / needed out with me if I had to bug out. Nothing left behind
would have mattered.

Now after nearly a lifetime I sent much of my most important assets to my bug out property already. They are there, waiting for me, and all I have at
"home" is emergency essentials and "stuff" that can be left behind. Just like when I die - it gets left behind then too.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Water is going to be real tough, the farther you are from the source the more you guarantee it will be unusable. Town or city upstream, you will have raw sewage and probably rotten carcasses in it. If you don't have a well or live near a spring you will be screwed, the amount of disease that will go around from water bore sources will be staggering.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As.

I like the way Grandma thinks, smart woman! I think there is a lot to be said for that!

Not a bad idea. At the moment I am a full time RVer and I have thought about this long and hard. A large Cargo Van, small school bus, Cube Van, could actually be quiet accommadating and hold a lot of stuff, be mobile and reasonably cheap to maintain. Unlike a home or other property the tax liability would be minimal. Since its something that would spend most of its time parked fuel consumption should be minimal. Probably lots of places to park them on the down low and you always have the ability to move to "greener pastures". It could also be pretty cheap as well.

I have a large boat (37") too and I have also thought about keeping a good stash aboard it. It could make for a good little getaway and living space should times get really tough. It could always be anchored close to shore in a worse case scenario and you could always "commute to the beach" to work or what ever.

I guess there are a lot of options here that could work. But I do think those that are in apartments would find themselves screwed pretty quickly! I guess thats the big take away here. Maybe one would be better off with a small older home with that Grandmas way of thinking if you can enspouse that and live okay with that mind set.
The good news is that a moving target is harder to hit. The bad news is that 37 inches worth of boat really isn't much. Now if it were a 37 footer, I'd be impressed. ;^)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It depends on what type of SHTF happens. Many of us believe that it will be an economic collaspe because of all the money that has been printed. In that case if the dollar is greatly devalued then people will easily pay off their loans but not be able to buy a loaf of bread.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Oooops! Good catch JPARIZ. I had just woke up for work and decided to check in real quick before getting the monkey suit on and heading out the door! Looks like the brain wasnt engaged with the fingers pecking at the keyboard...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts