Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm a student studying cultural anthropology, and I've chosen the prepper culture to research and learn more about. I'm very interested in why individuals choose to become preppers, what different people do to prepare (that you're comfortable sharing, of course), and how the reality of prepping might differ from the popular portrayal of preppers in media and pop culture. I find this last one particularly interesting because I'm coming into this without any first-hand experience with prepping, and everything I've learned I've probably gotten from news or movies. Because of that, I'm sure I (and most people) have some incorrect assumptions and preconceptions about who survivalists are.

If nobody objects (or has a better suggestion), I plan on posting a few general questions in the main forum which anyone can respond to in whatever depth they feel is comfortable or convenient. If anyone has other info they want to share, I'd love to hear that too. If anyone wants more privacy, they can send me a private message.

If anyone's at all curious about what I'm doing and why, please ask.

To be honest, I've seen a few of these "researcher" posts across different survivalist forums, so I hope you all aren't too tired of curious students. If you are, feel free to ignore me. If not, I'd love if anyone here were interested in helping me out, answering some questions, and clearing up some preconceptions.

Thanks for your time,
Aaron :smile:

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm not technically in charge here (thank God!) but the mods may have some questions for you. I'm not sure what their SOP is with this sort of thing.

I don't mind answering questions depending on the subject.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Anthropology or sociology? Rather than observing, you seem to be surveying.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm a student studying cultural anthropology, and I've chosen the prepper culture to research and learn more about. I'm very interested in why individuals choose to become preppers, what different people do to prepare (that you're comfortable sharing, of course), and how the reality of prepping might differ from the popular portrayal of preppers in media and pop culture. I find this last one particularly interesting because I'm coming into this without any first-hand experience with prepping, and everything I've learned I've probably gotten from news or movies. Because of that, I'm sure I (and most people) have some incorrect assumptions and preconceptions about who survivalists are.

If nobody objects (or has a better suggestion), I plan on posting a few general questions in the main forum which anyone can respond to in whatever depth they feel is comfortable or convenient. If anyone has other info they want to share, I'd love to hear that too. If anyone wants more privacy, they can send me a private message.

If anyone's at all curious about what I'm doing and why, please ask.

To be honest, I've seen a few of these "researcher" posts across different survivalist forums, so I hope you all aren't too tired of curious students. If you are, feel free to ignore me. If not, I'd love if anyone here were interested in helping me out, answering some questions, and clearing up some preconceptions.

Thanks for your time,
Aaron :smile:
I think we should talk before you post anything. PM me pls.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome from Florida!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts