Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not even remember the companies name but it sounded international. Anyway this Easter was at a friends house and some guests were there the man worked at this company that owns a bunch of the real-estate corps (Coldwell, Remax to name a few). Bill Gates owns 1/3 of global farmland. Pharma is a monopoly. Amazon is getting there. We think we have choices but we really don't.

·
Registered
474 Posts
What choice did a family in 1950 have that lived in rural Mississippi ?

What choices do they have today in rural Mississippi ?

What generation had more choices today’s or yesterday’s ?

So I’m not sure when the monopoly started but it wasn’t in the past couple years.

There have been business tycoons in America for a very long time.

Morgan, Carnegie , Rockefeller, etc.

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
What choice did a family in 1950 have that lived in rural Mississippi ?

What choices do they have today in rural Mississippi ?

What generation had more choices today’s or yesterday’s ?

So I’m not sure when the monopoly started but it wasn’t in the past couple years.

There have been business tycoons in America for a very long time.

Morgan, Carnegie , Rockefeller, etc.
You forgot Ranger710Tango ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I used to work for Ma Bell as a long distance operator. They treated their employee's wonderful. But it was decided they were a monopoly so had to go. There has been no such thing as affordable phone service since then, at least as cheap as they were. Only my tracfone is close.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get your point @Ranger710Tango . But there were more small businesses at more affordable prices. More locality, less centrality. Farmland was owned in smaller parcels and certainly not by a tech God psychopath. Remax owned itself. Coldwell owned itself. Whole Foods owned itself. Now with Covid closing down whole private owned businesses (I see it you don't, fine, that's not the point) monopolies become easier and we have fewer and fewer options of who to support.

But you have a fair point. I don't want to argue this one out, as soon you will monopolize this board with the disputes. ;) ;)

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Heck all the farm land around here is being put into housing developments. 1-2 acre lots with great big fancy houses. All with their wells and septic right next or on top of each other. This is to accommodate the hordes of out of state liberals fleeing their utopia's.

Not much a small 200-300 acre farmer can do. When his new 75 neighbors go vote and change decades of local farm friendly policy's. Like complaining about manure being spend on the fields. Handicapping the guy that's trying to feed the idiots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts