Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Not sure I understand what you mean with some of these names. For example, when you say "episode pen" do you mean an EpiPen as in an Epinepherine Autoinjector? Also I'm not sure what "ventolin" means. Is this for asthma? I understand lidocaine and nitro but SOME of this stuff needs to be explained.
Ventolin is a trade name for Salbutamol. It also known as albuterol and marketed as Ventolin among other names;it is a medication that opens up the medium and large airways in the lungs.

Fang

Sent from my iPhone using Technology whilst it still exists.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I don't think it's wise to store your antibiotics in the freezer. Many articles I've read say that destroys their potency. They recommend storing them as cold as you can ABOVE freezing.
Actually,apart from Ampicillin, the molecules are large enough to withstand freeze/thaw cycles without affecting their efficacy.
A classic bit of research describes this back in 1980:

Activity of antibiotic admixtures subjected to different freeze-thaw treatments.
Holmes CJ, et al. Drug Intell Clin Pharm. 1980.
Authors
Holmes CJ, Ausman RK, Walter CW, Kundsin RB.
Citation
Drug Intell Clin Pharm. 1980 May;14(5):353-7

However: you must freeze it to below -30 degree C as the stability decreases rapidly between 0 and -20 but starts to increase between-20 and -30 degrees C, peaking by at -30 and plateauing at that temperature. (Stability of aqueous solutions of amoxicillin sodium in the frozen and liquid states.
Concannon J, et al. Am J Hosp Pharm. 1986.
Authors
Concannon J, Lovitt H, Ramage M, Tai LH, McDonald C, Sunderland VB.
Citation
Am J Hosp Pharm. 1986 Dec;43(12):3027-30.)

Also note: these results are for admixtures (non-powder forms). I'm not up to speed with powders. Have we got any pharmacists on here who can advise?

Fangfarrier

Sent from my iPhone using Technology whilst it still exists.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The use of medicated feeds and medications being sold to farmers without a veterinarian prescription is being restricted. We have had in the past too much fed/given to live stock which is bad for the livestock and humans.

As far back as 1976 a cousin of mine had a problem He bought 5 or 6 bread sows that got sick within days of being moved to his farm. Review of water, food, housing nothing seemed out of place . They were on fresh grass, had small houses to get out of the rain , sun if they wanted, plenty of clean water and lots of sound grain. They were healthy when moved.

Looking at where they came from they were inside on concrete , crowded , fed a ground ration that had a low dose of antibiotics in it. We got some feed from the guy and within a couple days the rest are all healthy and doing well. He had to keep feeding them at least some of the medicated feed . Tried a couple times to wean them off but it just did not work.

Antibiotic resistance is a huge danger . When needed, they are needed and should be used but we use to much, too often in the animals we use for food and to "treat" conditions that do not need treatment or to treat a condition that does not respond to antibiotics.

Not criticizing those that want to have them on hand Just in case. But I am saying let a small wound bleed a little , clean wounds, change dressings give it 24 hours to see if a fever develops then use the meds. Don't use on animals or humans that are not sick.

Get your supply of animal meds now before the rules change . Even now If you went to my local feed store I do not know if they would sell to you. It is a big change I can recall having to ask them to mix me some pig feed special in 2002 as what they had prebagged had a low dose of med in it.

I also think if you can find meats raised on grass or nonmedicated feed you should .

·
Banned
120 Posts
We're 'po folk. Our old dog was sneezing green goo, and I wasn't about to spend hundreds of dollars for a vet visit.

I stored some Amoxicillin that I bought from Tractor Supply Company. It was getting old, and it's time to rotate. I looked it up, and depending on the species of mammal, it was about 7 milligrams per pound dosage. I mixed the antibiotic with some beef broth. It's been a few days, and he's much better already.

That stuff was supposedly for cattle. It worked on my dog. I'm sure it would work on other critters as well :vs_smile:
Someday (soon) we won't have a choice of seeing a vet. Or a doctor. Be ready.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I store several different fish antibiotics as a precaution. (Some of what I store below) I keep them in my spare refrigerator and from what I understand will last years with only some degradation.

Amoxicillin 250mg AND 500mg (FISH-MOX, FISH-MOX FORTE)

Ciprofloxacin 250mg and 500mg (FISH-FLOX, FISH-FLOX FORTE)

Cephalexin 250mg and 500mg (FISH-FLEX, FISH-FLEX FORTE)

Metronidazole 250mg (FISH-ZOLE)

Doxycycline 100mg (BIRD-BIOTIC)

Ampicillin 250mg and 500mg (FISH-CILLIN, FISH-CILLIN FORTE)

Clindamycin 300mg (FISH-CIN)

Sulfamethoxazole 400mg/Trimethoprin 80mg (BIRD-SULFA)

Azithromycin 250mg (AQUATIC AZITHROMYCIN)

·
Banned
120 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone posted this earlier

In the 1980s, the US stockpiles billions of dollars of antibiotics. After all, WWIII was just around the corner. Then, by 1990, it was pretty obvious we weren't going at it with The Soviet Union.
The US Air Force was ordered to study what to do with the tons of antibiotics and general meds that were due to "expire" soon. Their findings? Just use them.
It turns out that most medication only loses 1 to 2 percent effectiveness per year. That means, a 10 year old bottle of ibuprofen is still at least 80% effective. Of course, stuff like insulin and flu vaccine are exceptions. But I'll take any pain killer or antibiotic over none at all. Just up the dosage accordingly (12 mg instead of 10).

Or, you can just throw your stuff out every couple of years. That's what Big Pharma wants.

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Got a fridge full of 'em. But I also have a tank full of fish, so no one is the wiser.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,981 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've ordered items like anti-virals, antibiotics, and prednisone twice from this site with no prescription and good results.

Buy Prednisone 'Prednisone' Online Without Prescriptions. No Prescription Needed. Only $0.33. Order Prednisone 'Prednisone' Online Without Prescriptions. Cheap Prednisone 'Prednisone' Online No Prescription.

Shipping was slow and the meds come in blister packs with hard to read print but they work fine. Most seem to be made in India and shipped from England. I keep them stored in the freezer along with a several page printout about each med stored in a ziplock bag with the med.

Just thought I'd put the link out there because if SHTF ever happens the local pharmacy will be closed.

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Just remember different antibiotics are for different things. It would be a good idea to make yourself a cheat sheet stating which antibiotic is for which ailment. Also the dosage and length you need to take them for them to be effective.

Popping them like tic-tacs and hoping for the best is not a good strategy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just remember different antibiotics are for different things. It would be a good idea to make yourself a cheat sheet stating which antibiotic is for which ailment. Also the dosage and length you need to take them for them to be effective.

Every antibiotic purchase I've made has been after discussing with a nurse and reading up on uses and dosing. That's why I keep a few pages of notes on each choice.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I've ordered items like anti-virals, antibiotics, and prednisone twice from this site with no prescription and good results.

Buy Prednisone 'Prednisone' Online Without Prescriptions. No Prescription Needed. Only $0.33. Order Prednisone 'Prednisone' Online Without Prescriptions. Cheap Prednisone 'Prednisone' Online No Prescription.

Shipping was slow and the meds come in blister packs with hard to read print but they work fine. Most seem to be made in India and shipped from England. I keep them stored in the freezer along with a several page printout about each med stored in a ziplock bag with the med.

Just thought I'd put the link out there because if SHTF ever happens the local pharmacy will be closed.
How do you know that what you bought is the real deal and not a packaged placebo?

·
Registered
853 Posts
How do you know that what you bought is the real deal and not a packaged placebo?
Well, The antibiotics and prednisone work, my wife uses the prednisone when the arthritis gets bad or she steps in a fire ant hive and gets at least 20 bites. The tizanidine relaxes the muscles in my back and gives me a bit of dry mouth just like the tizanidine from my doctor does.

We only use these meds a few times a year between the two of us but when we do they work.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Well, The antibiotics and prednisone work, my wife uses the prednisone when the arthritis gets bad or she steps in a fire ant hive and gets at least 20 bites. The tizanidine relaxes the muscles in my back and gives me a bit of dry mouth just like the tizanidine from my doctor does.

We only use these meds a few times a year between the two of us but when we do they work.
Good to hear. Some foreign vendors do sell fake meds, but it appears that the one that you linked to is selling the real deal. Good to know.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts

These might help. I can't validate things and I'm NOT A DOCTOR. Use at own risk!

You also have to worry about allergic reactions.

That said I got bit by a tick last spring. Got the doctor's script for doxy filled and went home. WTF! Bottle was HUGE!!!!! They gave about 4 months worth of doxy, should have been 2 weeks. Too bad it don't store well.....

P.S. one page did not load but it's fixed now

Attachments

41 - 60 of 90 Posts