Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This, from Tirednurse in another thread:

Azithromycin -used for respiratory infections, sinus infection, some ear infections
Adult -500mg x 1 day, followed by 250mg x 4 days
Child 10mg/kg x 1 day, followed by 5mg/kg x 4 days

Amoxicillin- Urinary, ear, anthrax, pneumonia, sinus, skin, respiratory
Adult 500mg 2-3 times a day for 5-7 days
Child 20-30mg/kg per day divided into 2 doses per day

Ciprofloxacin- urinary, sinus
Adult 250mg twice a day for 7 days
Child ≥1 year : 10-20 mg/kg q12hr; individual dose not to exceed 750 mg q12hr for 10-21 days

Keflex -skin wounds, urinary, ear, respiratory
Adult 250 mg every 6 hours, ort a dose of 500 mg every 12 hours for 7 to 14 days
Child 25-50mg/kg divided doses for 7 days

Remember these are common antiboitics and the common dosage. I can not prescribe and advise you that you will have to use any of this information at your own risk. If you have an allergy to any antibiotic make sure you do not use any in the same class. For example, allergic to penicillin- don't use any antibiotic that ends with "illin" because it is a penicillin. example above is amoxicillin

As to your question on signs and symptoms I think this thread could become very long. there was a post a while back that suggested some good medical books. All infections can turn deadly if not cared for properly. However in a SHTF situation treating the most common infections would probably be skin infections due to cuts and injuries we don't think about now. An infection in a cut finger not cared for properly could turn into a major infection that could enter the blood stream ( sepsis) and easily kill you.
Pneumonia is pretty common and fairly easy to treat if you have the medications, but also can make you pretty miserable and weak as a kitten. Untreated it can kill.

·
Registered
900 Posts
More information.

The antibiotics labeled for fish or aquarium use are the exact same medication you would buy for yourselves at the pharmacy. I have checked everything I have ever boughten on pill identification sites for the size, shape, color, and distinguishing writing. Every pill comes up with the correct medication names along with name of the pharmaceutical company it was manufactured at.

I will also suggest buying only from a US source. you may have to pay a little more for it but it is safe this way. Other countries do not have the same regulations on selling of expired or damaged medication.

do your homework. If you have ever been sick and gotten an antibiotic find out what it was. If you did ok on this one the rest in the same class are probably OK for you also. the same applies to the ones you may have had a reaction to.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Is there a reliable website for expiration dates, or how long past the stamped date you can go? I know some will turn poisonous. I want to get some, but I never get sick enough to need antibiotics. I haven't had to take any since August of '02, had walking pneumonia in boot camp. Since then, nothing. I'd still like to, just in case.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well I had a hacking cough and felt like bronchitis coming on. Took the dog's antibiotics, wife used to be a pharmacy tech, can't tell you what type but it worked good. This is what I call a little known provision of the "Affordable Care Act".

It's cheaper to go see the vet. WOOF WOOF

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well I had a hacking cough and felt like bronchitis coming on. Took the dog's antibiotics, wife used to be a pharmacy tech, can't tell you what type but it worked good. This is what I call a little known provision of the "Affordable Care Act".

It's cheaper to go see the vet. WOOF WOOF

·
Banned
4,010 Posts
More information.

The antibiotics labeled for fish or aquarium use are the exact same medication you would buy for yourselves at the pharmacy. I have checked everything I have ever boughten on pill identification sites for the size, shape, color, and distinguishing writing. Every pill comes up with the correct medication names along with name of the pharmaceutical company it was manufactured at. .
I have ordered from this company Free Shipping on Fish Antibiotics- Fish Mox, Fish Flex, & More! in the past and was satisfied with their products.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
My local pet store told me that the Peoples Republic of Oregon has told them as soon as their stock runs out, they can't sell any more. So I bought all they had and put them in the freezer. So watch your state.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If anyone sees a source for Azithromycin please let me know. preferably a PM so I will get a notification email. I have been unable to find any in about 4 months and I am getting a little worried that I will not be able to replace.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know with cattle the penicillin works just as good on humans, we always keep a few bottles on hand, and the blood clot stuff I've been using for years, it looks like oxidized copper flake, but it works fantastically and in my opinion works better than the stuff you can buy for human use. It says on there not for human use, but at $10 for a pound of it vs 20+ for a small packet of human approved stuff you can't go wrong.

·
Banned
4,010 Posts
If anyone sees a source for Azithromycin please let me know. preferably a PM so I will get a notification email. I have been unable to find any in about 4 months and I am getting a little worried that I will not be able to replace.
To the best of my knowledge the FDA made Azithromycin impossible to get online few years ago. I still keep looking for it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If anyone does find Azithromycin as tirednurse asked, post it here too, or pm me, as I'm sure others would like to find it as well. It's one that is most often prescribed for my wife with sinus infections since she is allergic to penicillin.

Also, for anyone else that has an allergic reaction to penicillin, I found this list of alternative antibiotics and a list of what they are typically used for. Obviously not all these can be found without a prescription, but its good info to have.

Allergy to penicillin and alternative antibiotics

1 - 20 of 90 Posts