Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have 2 870 - my long barred trap/skeet 870 - that I don't use very often and have multiple cases of 12 ga bird shot, and my "tacticool" version which is my go to, with pistol in hand. I'd love a semi-auto Benelli!! :)

DSC_1389.JPG

It also has a flashlight on the right side with push pad activation.

Peace,
Michael J.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have 2 870 - my long barred trap/skeet 870 - that I don't use very often and have multiple cases of 12 ga bird shot, and my "tacticool" version which is my go to, with pistol in hand. I'd love a semi-auto Benelli!!

View attachment 110385

It also has a flashlight on the right side with push pad activation.

Peace,
Michael J.
Looks good, but why flip half shells up in the side saddle? Cant see using them that way during tac reloads.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
The 870 has long been a go to short gun. Hunting, trap, home and personal defense. before everything went cheap The Wing masters came with great wood and were a work of art. We have 870's here passed on from the last generation that are still good as new. The Wingmasters used by us for trap still great shot guns. there was a time Remington go a few things right.
I never look at cash value of any firearm we own. I can tell in general by what I see going on but just don't care.
One of the few shooting hobbies where pumps and semi autos were seldom seen was at live pigeon shoots. Too much money riding on that second shot to risk a failure. Everybody used over and unders..except a few rookies.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I check the extractor on my 870 every time this comes up here. I cannot see any sort of line on it. I am going to assume it is not an MIM part. I have owned it several decades.
If you have a 870 Wingmaster, rule of thumb it DOES NOT have a MIM extractor.

If you have a 870 express, rule of thumb IT DOES does have one.

That line running through the middle of the extractor can be almost impossible to see if the die cavity was new.

Best to use a magnifier to look at it.

Another quickie reference is if there is a "U" shape cut done in the shell elevator, that is a MIM indicator.

I get on this every so often to advise everyone on here, hate to see someone here get into a firefight and have it break.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts

That line running through the middle of the extractor can be almost impossible to see if the die cavity is new.

Another quickie reference is if there is a "U" shape cut done in the shell elevator, that is a MIM indicator.

I get on this every so often to advise everyone on here, hate to see someone here get into a firefight and have it break.
I'll put a magnifier on mine to be sure.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

That line running through the middle of the extractor can be almost impossible to see if the die cavity was new.

mine is an old wingmaster..... dad got it for me used at a pawn shop 25 years ago... but it needed a new one.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Good point...never tried with full tac reload...I should do that :)

thank you,
Michael J.
Here's what I can offer as words of wisdom:
1. Point all the shells down. When you're doing tac reloads under stress you will not want to mess with the up or down position of the shots hells
2. Consider carefully mixing up shells in the side saddle. When things get interesting you want consistency and not wonder if it's a slug or shotshell.

Regarding futuristic look ;) kinda... Though knox stocks have been around for a while. I think I built this out about 15 years ago at least.

·
Super Moderator
8,592 Posts
mine is an old wingmaster..... dad got it for me used at a pawn shop 25 years ago... but it needed a new one.
Yeah, mine is 40+ years old, well the 12 is anyhow. The 20 is only about 6 or 7 years old and hasn't been fired once. I got a good deal and it's what caused me to get my CCL. THAT'S a long story. :vs_laugh:

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
My 870 is just the way it came from the factory in 1999.
It is actually loaded with #5 shot turkey loads since it is my barnyard defender against varmints after the chickens.
I have other shotguns loaded with buck.
My big brother from CA an avid old ex duck hunter bequeathed me multiple boxes of SS #4 Duck loads. I figured those would work pretty good on humans and angry pit bulls for a good way off but just guessing.

·
Administrator
14,686 Posts
My big brother from CA an avid old ex duck hunter bequeathed me multiple boxes of SS #4 Duck loads. I figured those would work pretty good on humans and angry pit bulls for a good way off but just guessing.
Only time I had to kill a pit bull was when I was attacked and managed to get a down the throat shot from a range of 5 feet. Had literally no warning, no time for even thinking. The Old Soldier kicked right in and I instantly performed as I was trained.
My wife still talks to this day about how she had never seen anything like that.
Had the Wife's 20 ga and it was loaded with #6 birdshot, but the SOB went straight down with just one whimper.

When we first moved in out here it was practically wilderness, with packs of feral dogs roaming about.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Glad you survived that. Quick thinking. I never did have to get around to shooting a mean dog but had my finger on the trigger a few times. A pop from the ASP could usually make em act right. Only blood brought was from a crazy weenie dog on his own front porch..lol. Ran up an nipped my calf from behind on a 911 hang up call. The residents were a holes and by the the time they paid the room and board on the mutt it got expensive. Back in the good old days you just mailed the dogs head off to Austin for a hydrophobia test. If if come back negative that was good news for the victim who didnt have to take the shots in the stomach.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I first moved in, the neighbor's used to cut across my back 10 acres to access public land. I really didn’t mind this. The first time they met me, they came out across the property with their 4 dogs as I was walking my 4 dogs, 3 on E-collars.
Their jaw dropped to the ground because I was open carrying on my own property. While we were exchanging pleasantries, their male Sheppard tried to mount my female Boxer. Voice commands only got my 1 dog without the Ecollar back at heel.
A couple weeks later, 2 of theirs were running on my property, harassing a horse. I went up later in the day and had a talk with them about dogs harassing livestock laws. I also let him know I had his dogs on my trail cams. Quote from him, “Do what you gotta do”.
A couple days later, Their 4 and my 4 got into a long distance barking match. Next thing I know, a pack of 4 is tearing down my back hillside. A well placed shot deterred the dogs. After that, they put up horse fencing around the 3 strand barbed the dogs used to run past.
They say fences make good neighbors, sometimes well placed shots do.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts