Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
can't speak for Canada but in Mexico you cant have anything more than a .38 pistol, so i don't think they even sell .223, 5.56, 7.62, .308 etc, I live on the border and by conversations I have had with clerks at Academy, there are people paid to pick up ammo for the cartels and ship it into Mexico, that is the suspicion of course, you cant assume a lady who speaks little to no English with a list of calibers and wad of cash is not just a fellow gun enthusiast.:-D

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I believe it is affecting our neighbors to the north as well.I have seen posts in the forums from my state and others of Canadians asking us (yanks) if ammo in the USA can be brought across the border,either they don't want to ask their govt if its legal or,the gougers want to make more money up north in my opinion.and Mexico is totally off limits to ammo like another OP said I saw a series on the border situation and there were a lot of Mexican nationals trying to get everything from .22lr to .50bmg across, who knows what really gets over there?.gotta be for the cartels,who else would want .50bmg?to shoot Iguanas?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I thought I read Mexico didn't even have gun stores and that firearms for private citizens were pretty much banned? I know my dad went hunting there once and found it easier to use the Remington Shotguns the hunting lodge had available then to bring their own, and of course we all heard on the news about the American they locked up last year for bringing a gun across the border - even with paper work.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was at Walmart today to pick up a few items for an upcoming fishing trip and ask the guy at the gun display if he had any bullets. He checked and said he had a box of 357. I ask about deliveries and he said they weren't getting any. I walked into the next aisle and heard his coworker ask him to put back some 9.s for his brother when the shipment comes in tomorrow. Limited supply and the clerks are hoarding it for friends and relatives.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Then I need to make some friends at WalMart. We haven't had a shipment (that I know of) for over a month and a half. I've been going almost every other day, so as not to miss it. I have been buying up 2, 4 and 6 shot for my 12 gauge. Anything is better than nothing. And I would like to know where the heck all the ammo is going.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I am on good terms with the clerks at Walmart and Academy. It pays to ask when the shipments are and show up early when you do drop by. I've been picking up 223/556, 38/357 but no .22lr as of yet. Its nice to be nice. Remember, these same clerks prolly get hammered with complaints and questions all day so it pays to be considerate. Just my $.02

punch

·
Registered
324 Posts
What is the availability of 9mm. Hubby wants a 9mm pistol and I am not convinced on agreeing to buy it, if there is no ammo. We have had a bit of luck getting .243 win. in small amounts. Usually at our Walmart, there is a box or two. It's doubled in price since this all began. There is very little .22lr around. We got a few little boxes at a gun store in a small town. The place we went to look at 9mm pistols sold us some 22lr. We have a relative who has extra 9mm ammo. I feel OK about the amount of ammo we have, but we only have a 22lr Colt M4 and a .243 rifle. Hubs says we should have another .22 rifle in case mine jams. That makes sense. We have the most .22lr ammo. I was thinking just an inexpensive ruger 10-22 would do for that. I am just not sure about a pistol or about stepping up to a bigger rifle like a ruger mini 30? I have given up on .223 ammo, even tho, an AR would be my gun of choice because I really like my Colt M4 22lr. Any suggestions? Is it even worth buying guns right now?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Aqua is right. The gun market has leveled off nicely. About the only thing I notice a premium on right now is the AR upper receiver. I saw stripped lowers for $99 this week. 1911's seem to be in short supply.

You could buy a nice 9mm right now and though expensive you can find a few boxes of decent ammo around $20 per 50 which bites but at least you'd have a few emergency boxes. It may take a while but ammo will eventually correct and then you can stock up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks. I do hate investing in a firearm that I am not all that happy with. I honestly bought the 22lr colt with the thought of graduating up to the AR15, but then all hell broke loose.

Handguns still scare me a bit. I am a rookie with guns. The place we were looking at buying the 9mm from does train you in the use of it when you buy it. They have a small firing range. That makes me feel better. I am just more of a rifle person. Hubby wants the handgun.

I am reluctant to buy a gun with so much recoil that I get knocked over. I have fired some of my son's big guns, and, I don't feel very accurate with them. I can barely lift them to aim them.

I have fired an AR15 and I really liked it.

These are big purchases. I just don't want to waste money. I feel like we are a bit 'underpowered' if we ever had to fend off intruders. That said, nothing spells intimidation like a shotgun being cocked.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
IngaLisa you guys may also want to consider an SKS or an AK instead of a Mini 30. I have the Mini 30 and the SKS. The SKS is cheaper and operates better with a variety of 7.62 x39mm ammo. The AK is currently pricey but should come back down. There are more add ons stocks sights etc available for AK's and SKS's than are available for the Mini 30. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Letter posted on the Federal website:

We are currently experiencing high demand for our products. We appreciate your patience and support and remain committed to serving all of our customers, from hunters and sport shooters to those who protect our country and our streets.

Why is ammunition in certain calibers so hard to find?
The current market and environment is causing stronger than usual demand for products in our industry.

Why are you selling all of your ammunition to the DHS?
The Department of Homeland Security contract makes up a very small percentage of our total ammunition output. This contract is not taking ammunition away from civilians. The current increase in demand is attributed to the civilian market. Our production volumes on government contracts have been stable since the mid-2000s.

Are certain contracts taking ammunition away from civilians?
No. We remain committed to serving all channels of our business. The majority of our product serves the commercial market.

Why can't you just make more ammunition?
Our facilities operate 24-hours a day. We are continually making process improvements to increase our efficiency and investing in capital and personnel where we have sustained demand. We are bringing additional capacity online again this year.

What is your stance on the current gun legislation?
We support the second amendment and responsible gun ownership. We remain fully engaged in the legislative and regulatory process to provide the most accurate and comprehensive information to decision makers. Like most major manufacturers in our industry, we are also members of the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF). This organization helps represent our industry and our customers before federal, state and local government entities. More information about legislation and our industry's positions can be found at NSSF - National Shooting Sports Foundation.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Lisa I'd also consider a shotgun ahead of a long rifle in the 7. caliber size. If you are unsure about recoil
and power you might look at a Mossy 510 which is the 20 gauge version of their 500. Its less expensive
and the ammo is far more readily available in today's market then others. Recoil is less significant
and the power is there at close range just like it is for a larger size hand gun. Just harder to conceal.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Look into 38/357 for both handguns and rifles. shoot 38's in the rifle to practice/save money. It barely has the kick of a 22. In 357 it makes a great brush gun and you can easily take deer down at 75-100 yards with open sights. Short enough for home defense and accurate. Even cocking it behind a locked door would give anyone pause. More knockdown power than a 9mm and hignly reliable. Just my $.02

punch

·
Super Moderator
9,041 Posts
For what it's worth, my wife went with a Springfield XD in 9mm, she uses the 16" AR and on of the M1 carbines and a Remington youth 1100 semi-auto in 20 gauge. Even as small as she is, she can handle everything well. She can use my .45 ACP but can't pull the slide back under normal circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
9,354 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I will give this all some thought.
If you really want an AR, look around. There are some out there at a reasonable price. A week or 2 ago One Source Tactical had Windhams for just under 1k. I paid 900 for my Windham just before things got ugly. I don't know if you have a Cabela's near you but they still sell firearms at a reasonable price and the last time I was at the one here in the DFW area, they had a decent selection but I did not price any. I went there looking for a 1911.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts