Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Ammunition - It May Get Worse

9K views 50 replies 25 participants last post by  Seneca 
#1 ·
This is an update on my ammo frenzy thread because this is a slightly different point of view / topic on the ammo frenzy upon us. I was discussing with a friend who follows California's legislature more closely than I this morning regarding gun legislation. Making its way thru the committees and almost certain to PASS is a $.05 per round of ammo tax. In one of the committees this was reduced to .05 from .10 at the governors' bequest. The only real hope CA's had was the governor stopping this - it looks like the legislature is willing to appease him by reducing the tax in half. Now of course that means a brick of 22LR just went up $25.00 in taxes. This may not be a big deal to the .308 users and my lapua but I shoot a lot of 22LR and it bites big time. But wait - there is more.

The last committee update on this act added the SAME tax to reloading components! YES a .05 per primer, .05 per brass and .05 per projectile. Reloading - the savior of high prices - is about to get 3x more expensive then buying factory new ammo. Well that's a spin but you can see the math and how I meant it.

Now for those in FREE America this clearly won't impact you, but I think it will. Once this gets closer to passage this summer the FRENZY in CA is going to become grotesque. You will find CA gun owners (with big budgets and thirst for ammo) soaking it up - out of YOUR markets with every dollar they can muster. The closer this gets to passage - the worse this is going to get for all of us.

See less See more
#2 ·
Black Market ammo! Just like cigarettes in New York City. I'll move bullets in by the pallet from the free United States and make a fortune! Does the Kalifornia regime torture for that?

#6 ·
Cook County in which Chicago is located has or will institute a 5 cent per round tax on ammo + $25 tax on all fire arms. The money is touted to go to medical benefits for the innocent victims of gun violence.

#7 ·
Looks like you'll have to make semi-annual trips into Nevada to buy ammo. Might want to check that bill out and see if it'll make it a crime to bring ammo in from another state. NY SAFE Act says all ammo purchases are now subject to a background check and must be conducted in person (no more internet purchases) but doesn't say anything about purchasing ammo out of state and bringing it back. How's that for stupidity? BTW did they kill the statewide lead ammo ban they were pushing or did that pass? Between those 2 bills you'll see ammo prices skyrocket very quickly if they both pass.

-Infidel

#9 ·
Here in Northern Nevada the Walmarts and volume ammo stores in Carson City and Reno are usually picked clean by ammo flippers or Cali's before most locals can get there. I have my pre panic stash but my shooting habits have changed to preserve it. Only things I have been able to score lately are 7.62x39mm and 12 gauge.

#12 ·
Im afraid that once this stupidity that is california catches on with the rest of the Liberal loving world that life will suck pretty bad for all of us. I guess the second this drought eases up I am going to have to go on a shopping spree and stay on it till I have a life time supply of reloading components. I used to look fear death when my time comes but I have to be honest with you...the last 4 years has actually found me looking forward to that day in coming. But I am sure my government will still find a way to still rob me blind and rape me silly from the grave, its just what Liberals do.

#16 ·
Please don't take this as a defense of cheaper then dirt; I am not fond of them and have not used them. I do have a friend with a gun shop nearby. He's caught the same flak from many shooters / customers for "over" pricing ammunition in recent months. I've worked for John many times as a fill in employee and do so with pleasure and like it very much. The fact is simple. If he does not over price it - its gone. When its all gone he has no need for employees and has to cut hours for his staff - even his store. My God man he closed the week before Christmas and stayed closed thru New Years Day because he had NO inventory worth opening for. He literally had 2 shotguns and 3 single action revolvers in stock for firearms. You can't open the door for gun safes, cases, holsters and cleaning gear. Everything else was gone.

I watch as so called conservative free market libertarians (et al) b & m about a gun shop offering a 1000 rounds of 223 for $899. Its real simple. Its there or its not. If they list it for $799 its gone. Then these people complain they don't have anything. Until the dealers can stock up and put something on their shelves there is nothing to deal. Once they get some inventory built up they can reduce prices - until then its just going to get worse.

#17 ·
I agree that the Ma and Pa stores are the ones getting hurt the most. I make a point to support my local shops by purchasing supples from them. What chaps my butt is the attitude at the cheaper than dirt McKinney store. The flaunt the fact they they have inventory, but we do live in capitalistic country. Law of supply and demand. I am always willing to pay a bit more for the wonderful service the smaller stores offer. Great point, and thanks for making it

#20 ·
Ha ! Found one not gouging and in stock today. To bad customer service really sucked. I am out picking up a buddy at the air port, and so on the way I stop at Bass Pro. I got $50 left to spend and wanted to get something matching any of my guns particularly on the low end. I find a box of 16 gage #2 shot doe $32.99 ugh. I ask the clerk if they have any clay type 7.5s / 8s in 16 ga to which he blows me off with "no" and a grimace walking away. I walk thru other areas of the hunting, camping etc, and decide to pass thru the shelves of shotgun rounds again on the way out. Low and behold for $8.99 a box they got Federal 7.5s sitting right there. I walked my 4 boxes out to the counter and made my mention of the inept loser behind the gun counter. I have an old Model 12 16 Ga from my moms' dad. It's got a terrific history and I had only a few boxes do shells for it. I'm really glad to add the cheap rounds to my storage. They are great for dove / quayle and the like.

#21 · (Edited)
I guess you never know until the chips are down. I have an all new respect for Cabelas going through this time. Generally, when they have ammo they sell it at decent prices, I'm talking $8.99 per 100 .22LR, they limit you to usually one box per customer, which helps get it into as many hands as possible. Other good prices for different sizes too. They don't stay in stock often, so a person has to check often and be patent you can order online and have it shipped to your local store for no S/H or $5.00 shipped to your home.
Everyone has to make their own choice I guess, I personally, refuse to pay inflated prices for ammo. I have an decent stock at home, and will wait them out. It's not like gasoline, something I pretty much have to have. I still go to the gun range not quite as often, and shoot much fewer rounds, but, the shots I now take I pay much more attention to details of my shooting, and don't result to just throwing lead down range after awhile.

#27 ·
You refuse to do businss with the shop that raises his prices beyond belief.

Another refuses to do business with a shop that can't keep anything in stock.

Shop is screwed, goes out of business, and you are left with the "other" guy who just managed
the perception better and raises the prices due to the lack of competition.

#26 ·
Ammo shortage=time to prep other in other areas. There is no point in crying foul or stating the obvious. When ammunition comes back resume prepping ammunition. Isn't this part of what prepping is about? Seeing it coming, hunkering down watching the stampede thunder by, and when the dust settles, look left look right before crossing the street.

#29 ·
Yes, its pretty bad here in NM. I hooked up with a local ffl dealer, and got two pistols, but he is honestly thinking about not renewing becouse he can't get any inventory. I completely understand the inventory versus sales, and having to have some product on the shelves. My company that i've invested almost 9 long hard years, is starting to "look shaky", will more than likely have to let some good employees go in a week or three. I hope to keep my job.
Alas, the only way i see out of this mess is short term- people that have access and availability- take orders for friends, and ship them the ammo, cheaper than the guagers, and hope we pull throu this. STICK TOGETHER.
In the long term - we have to vote in some strong gun supporting candidates at every level to battle these snakes..STICK TOGETHER..
I am saving all my brass from the fiance and my 9, for a friend on here, we gotta start with actions..
The journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step..

#30 ·
I guess it's a choice we all have to make. Me, personally, I will not pay inflated prices. My belief is this is still a supply and demand country, and as long as there are enough people willing to shell out twice or three times the worth for ammo, it will never go down. I search the internet at the very least once a day (most days 2 or 3 times) often I might find myself at odd hours 3 or 4am checking prices, in the last couple months, I can honestly say I have found ammo at a decent price for everything I own, EXCEPT 9MM, when I do, I order it. I just today came home with 666 rounds of .22LR at five cents a round, also 22 magnum at 28 cents a round. My advice: Don't pay inflated prices.
I see things simple, if there is a true shortage, then it cannot be bought at any price, simply because it's not there. When it is there, as much as you want, for 3 times the worth, that is not what I call a shortage, but rather someone trying to screw the consumer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.