Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
So do you equate "sticking it to you" to them just wanting to find a price point where they can keep something in stock and keep their employees employed?
Here is where I stand on this. We are not in a crisis: period. The store isn't charged more from their supplier today so why am I charged more? Why would I frequent a store that is willing to treat me like that? BTW, I'm not in a crisis either; I have plenty of supplies because I do prep. It is not my job to keep his employees employed. If they keep the prices too high the item will stay on the shelf and it won't keep anybody employed.

1895gunner

My favorite LGS deals with this by not selling all 5 1000 rd lots as 1000 rd lots. Rather they break them up and sell 20 rds with a reasonable limit on how many an individual can buy. Many more people can buy 60 to 100 rounds than can 1000 rds, and the customer traffic is maintained. They still make money with a price that reflects the current norm, but is still fair considering the current norm.
Absolutely agreed, if they can pay the rent and staff @ $500 for a box of .223 brass 6 months ago how does it change today? how is it necessary to have overpriced ammo sitting on the shelf for the rich folk? If you could pay the rent and staff 6 months ago at normal prices you can do the same today and give them a few days off! I refuse to accept price gouging. I got my a$$ up bright and early 3 days a wek due to purchase limits to get what I needed and now I have everything I need, so much I ran up the credit card near max and had to back off, kinda miss standing in line at 5am chating with fellow patriots but o well, got bills to pay too.

Most econimists actually agree that gouging is a good thing...

The simple law of supply & demand. The more demand (people willing to pay), the harder (paying overtime, rush orders on raw materials, etc)people will work to meet that demand.
But if only the stores or flippers are charging excessive prices on ammo that still comes from the manufactures at the old price, how does that cause the manufactures to work overtime on production lines that already, supposedly, running at full production. Its not like I can start an ammo company over night nor can a manufacturer buy new equipment, more space for production lines, hire trained people, etc. overnight either. Maybe manufactures can do something in a year or 2 but for right now, I don't see any good coming out of gouging. In fact, I saw just the opposite back during the oil embargo that caused the huge lines of cars at the gas stations. The gas stations that gouged, made money at the time. But as soon as gas was plentiful again, they were forced out of business because people remembered who screwed them over, and went to other gas stations to buy gas. I will do the same, as with CTD.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Actually his cost per 1000 rounds is up over $120 per 1000. He was paying under $400 and now just over $500. He usually breaks at least one case down and sells by the box but now does 2 that way and sometimes 3. At these prices the numbers buying 1k round cases are declining.

I'm sorry to say I don't think you have a good view of capitalism and retail sales. You say we are not in crisis, and I would agree since he gets 5000 rounds a week things are good. They have skipped him 4x since January 1 this year however so its not automatic that he gets a shipment each week. To do business the way you view he should he'd be open one day - the day goods arrive - he'd sell them out at a more than reasonable share and enjoy his profit. He'd send everyone home the other 6 days and expect them to feed their families and live off an 8 to 10 hour day. I applaud him taking the steps to find the top of the market, build up supplies for the best time, and keep his staff employed.

Here is where I stand on this. We are not in a crisis: period. The store isn't charged more from their supplier today so why am I charged more? Why would I frequent a store that is willing to treat me like that? BTW, I'm not in a crisis either; I have plenty of supplies because I do prep. It is not my job to keep his employees employed. If they keep the prices too high the item will stay on the shelf and it won't keep anybody employed.

1895gunner

1895gunner
I don't believe your statements are true

1. We are in a crisis, ammunition is critically short, powder is off the shelves, the guvment is sucking up a lot of the production, plus now states are talking about 5 and 10 cents per round taxes. Not Normal circumstances under any measure.

2. Prices ARE higher, bullet, primer, powder manufacturers have jacked up prices, why shouldn't the assembled rounds increase?

3. Smart retailers do not price their goods on the last price paid but the replacement price.

I went to my local shop today. They have dozens of AR 15's, New and used AK 47's and every ammo from .22lr to all the other popular calibers. The WASR ak 47s were listed at $499.00 new. .223 was 14.00 for 20 rounds and they had 4000 rounds or so on the shelves, 9mm was 34.00 for 50 rds. of ball, 7.62x39 was high at 9.99 per 20 and the cheapest AR 15 was a new Bushmaster carbine for $750.00. There were literally hundreds of magazines and some very expensive window P Mags at 21.99 each. I think that people are getting into the summer frame of boating, fishing camping etc.. and focusing less on stockpiling. At my shop anyway, we are back to normal with the exception of high prices on some ammo and magazines. Availability is not an issue at the moment.

But if the store is charging double, triple of quadruple the normal price, doesn't that make them just as bad as the flippers?
Not really...the flippers are buying their ammo from the few vendors who are trying to hold the line on prices and then jacking up the price. If everybody jacks up the price it may just cut the flippers out of the picture.

Eventually competition will come back into the picture, take over and prices should come back down. Until then complaining doesn't help (not you), complaining simply signals to the flippers that their market base is still there and they should continue flipping...

Are painful lessons being learned with this situation?...sure. If somebody comes up with a better way to pry the flippers off retail, and convince the peter panics that the sky is not falling I'd love to hear it. Because we are stuck with this situatuion for the forseable future...Bottom line I don't have to buy their ammo and neither do you if you think about it.

I am not buying ammo at all right now. The prices are way too high. I did buy an AR-10, but at pre-panic prices; and I paid $5 more per brick for some .22LR, but it was there, and so was I....

I am proud to be a prepper, and I had purchased ammo when prices were "normal" because I track events as part of my daily situational awareness routine. When Iraq invaded Kuwait, I heard there would be a shortage of .223 ammo, so I stocked up. When the elections looked like the Republicans would lose the White House and a President who said he favored gun control was running and gaining in popularity, I bought more black rifles and more ammo. If you were tracking events, you could see this coming from a thousand miles away. I have sold some guns, and some ammo, to people I trust, who needed help, and who are also neighbors and are like-minded people, and who are now great friends and future allies.... My kind of politicking....

The ammo shortage is being created the same way all shortages occur - by speculators buying up available supplies to resell to panicky buyers dumb enough to pay inflated prices for goods.

The shortage will end when the newbies, grasshoppers, sheeple, and slumberers have either found what they think they need, or they run out of money or credit, whichever comes first....

And then the ants and preppers will quietly go about their tasks, unnoticed by the stultified, and filling up their larders for the next mass-media-induced panic buying frenzy, or emergencies.

I don't care much for the world gone wild atmosphere of panic buying. It's annoying to say the least. I suspect quite a few people have gotten their fill of it as well. Will this blow over and then happen again? my best guess is...that it will.

My hope is that future shortages induced by panic buying spikes will be less severe than this current one. For that to happen...It will require more people to wise up and be prepared...there is hope...

My philosophy on prepping is...If done correctly it's kind of like watching grass grow...Boring as all get out to do, yet paying huge dividends when everyone else is running in panic circles screaming and shouting...lol

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.