Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts
I guess you never know until the chips are down. I have an all new respect for Cabelas going through this time. Generally, when they have ammo they sell it at decent prices, I'm talking $8.99 per 100 .22LR, they limit you to usually one box per customer, which helps get it into as many hands as possible. Other good prices for different sizes too. They don't stay in stock often, so a person has to check often and be patent you can order online and have it shipped to your local store for no S/H or $5.00 shipped to your home.
Everyone has to make their own choice I guess, I personally, refuse to pay inflated prices for ammo. I have an decent stock at home, and will wait them out. It's not like gasoline, something I pretty much have to have. I still go to the gun range not quite as often, and shoot much fewer rounds, but, the shots I now take I pay much more attention to details of my shooting, and don't result to just throwing lead down range after awhile.

Nothing in the Dallas area. I hope that the large price gouges go out of business when everything calms down. One of which is Cheaper than Dirt!!! I would never buy anything from them!
Please don't take this as a defense of cheaper then dirt; I am not fond of them and have not used them. I do have a friend with a gun shop nearby. He's caught the same flak from many shooters / customers for "over" pricing ammunition in recent months. I've worked for John many times as a fill in employee and do so with pleasure and like it very much. The fact is simple. If he does not over price it - its gone. When its all gone he has no need for employees and has to cut hours for his staff - even his store. My God man he closed the week before Christmas and stayed closed thru New Years Day because he had NO inventory worth opening for. He literally had 2 shotguns and 3 single action revolvers in stock for firearms. You can't open the door for gun safes, cases, holsters and cleaning gear. Everything else was gone.

I watch as so called conservative free market libertarians (et al) b & m about a gun shop offering a 1000 rounds of 223 for $899. Its real simple. Its there or its not. If they list it for $799 its gone. Then these people complain they don't have anything. Until the dealers can stock up and put something on their shelves there is nothing to deal. Once they get some inventory built up they can reduce prices - until then its just going to get worse.
I will never buy so much as a bore brush from Cheaper Than Dirt ever again. Right after Sandy Hook they jumped their MagPul prices up to $99 a mag and jumped $650 AR's to $1000, and Colt M4's to $2500. At one point their PMC .223 was at $1.75 a round. I understand Ripon's point, and don't necessarily disagree but the level CTD went to should be near criminal. It's like they lost their mind and turned their back on a large loyal customer base to have a short term price gouging orgy.

Kpharr, if you are close enough to go to the McKinney CTD store (we must be near neighbor's btw) then you should hop on down Hwy 5/Greenville/Plano Rd to Gun Masters. Yea a lot of their ammo is comming from a private consignee and can be a little pricey, but they also put out their own inventory when they get it in at whatcurrently stands for reasonable prices. I've seen the exact same 5.56 boxes next to each other and the store inventory selling for $11 a box while the consigned ammo sells for $23.

They will be upfront about the ammo prices on the shelves, but they are just trying to keep something on the shelf. They do however limit how much one person can buy so no one wipes out all the good deals when they have it.

They also have two of the best gunsmith's in our area to boot!

I have purchases a lot of ammo of the years from cheaper than dirt. I refuse to do business anymore with cheaper than dirt. They are great as long as you don,t mind getting screwed over. Not for me anymore.

Funny thing is I have bought 2 handguns from the Fort Worth store before things got bad. As soon as the rumors started flying they were the 1st to jump on the price jacking bandwagon. Even now they are higher priced still than many.

Just remember who the gougers are when things return to normal (whatever that is).
I will not do business with Cheaper than Dirt, nor will do business with the shops who are screwing the public now
They can make all the excuses for jacked prices they want, truth is they are gouging!!

Ammo shortage=time to prep other in other areas. There is no point in crying foul or stating the obvious. When ammunition comes back resume prepping ammunition. Isn't this part of what prepping is about? Seeing it coming, hunkering down watching the stampede thunder by, and when the dust settles, look left look right before crossing the street.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
You refuse to do businss with the shop that raises his prices beyond belief.

Another refuses to do business with a shop that can't keep anything in stock.

Shop is screwed, goes out of business, and you are left with the "other" guy who just managed
the perception better and raises the prices due to the lack of competition.

Just remember who the gougers are when things return to normal (whatever that is).
I will not do business with Cheaper than Dirt, nor will do business with the shops who are screwing the public now
They can make all the excuses for jacked prices they want, truth is they are gouging!!

Yea, what's the movie line--- Greed is good
Don't care about your customers, just make as much as possible while you can.
Hell, they'll come back when the dust settles, they always came here before---

Yes, its pretty bad here in NM. I hooked up with a local ffl dealer, and got two pistols, but he is honestly thinking about not renewing becouse he can't get any inventory. I completely understand the inventory versus sales, and having to have some product on the shelves. My company that i've invested almost 9 long hard years, is starting to "look shaky", will more than likely have to let some good employees go in a week or three. I hope to keep my job.
Alas, the only way i see out of this mess is short term- people that have access and availability- take orders for friends, and ship them the ammo, cheaper than the guagers, and hope we pull throu this. STICK TOGETHER.
In the long term - we have to vote in some strong gun supporting candidates at every level to battle these snakes..STICK TOGETHER..
I am saving all my brass from the fiance and my 9, for a friend on here, we gotta start with actions..
The journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step..

I guess it's a choice we all have to make. Me, personally, I will not pay inflated prices. My belief is this is still a supply and demand country, and as long as there are enough people willing to shell out twice or three times the worth for ammo, it will never go down. I search the internet at the very least once a day (most days 2 or 3 times) often I might find myself at odd hours 3 or 4am checking prices, in the last couple months, I can honestly say I have found ammo at a decent price for everything I own, EXCEPT 9MM, when I do, I order it. I just today came home with 666 rounds of .22LR at five cents a round, also 22 magnum at 28 cents a round. My advice: Don't pay inflated prices.
I see things simple, if there is a true shortage, then it cannot be bought at any price, simply because it's not there. When it is there, as much as you want, for 3 times the worth, that is not what I call a shortage, but rather someone trying to screw the consumer.

I will not return to stores that stick it to me - period. For every store that is trying to profit by hiking sales pricing there are good ones that are not. I have already dropped three stores and will never return. I just wish others would follow through with this practice as well. I'm not talking about a few bucks here but by raising the price of anything by 100% or more - they will never see me in their stores again.

1895gunner

Discussion starter · #32 ·
So do you equate "sticking it to you" to them just wanting to find a price point where they can keep something in stock and keep their employees employed?

I will not return to stores that stick it to me - period. For every store that is trying to profit by hiking sales pricing there are good ones that are not. I have already dropped three stores and will never return. I just wish others would follow through with this practice as well. I'm not talking about a few bucks here but by raising the price of anything by 100% or more - they will never see me in their stores again.

1895gunner

I think the higher prices are a good thing, even if it is a PITA first of all it cuts out the flipping, ensures there is some ammo available.

When supply comes back competition kicks in and prices come down. I'm not going to throw any vendor under the bus for high prices...I will watch and when their prices come back down out of the stratosphere, and all things (but price) being equal and their price beats the other guys price I will buy from them...pretty simple

Imagine if this was a for real crisis...for the caught with your pants down whiners...think of it as training for the real thing...because this will pass and you will get a second chance to get it right...lol

I think the higher prices are a good thing, even if it is a PITA first of all it cuts out the flipping, ensures there is some ammo available.

When supply comes back competition kicks in and prices come down. I'm not going to throw any vendor under the bus for high prices...I will watch and when their prices come back down out of the stratosphere, and all things (but price) being equal and their price beats the other guys price I will buy from them...pretty simple...
But if the store is charging double, triple of quadruple the normal price, doesn't that make them just as bad as the flippers?

So do you equate "sticking it to you" to them just wanting to find a price point where they can keep something in stock and keep their employees employed?
So, if the owner takes $5,000 of ammo his price and sells it for $30,000 instead of $7,500 by selling it at old prices, its just because hes a nice guy?
If there is an ammo shortage, why is it there is plenty if you are willing to shell out the price? One would think none means none no matter the price.

Well, I can't argue with the logic of people willing to shell out big bucks. I've been lucky and stocked up when I had the chance of the years.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
I can only speak for what I have seen in a gun shop and because I've worked there and know the owner. Right now if he prices 223 1000 round cases at $699 they are
gone in 72 hours maximum with no chance of restocking for 4 days period. He gets this delivery on Tuesday and if he prices it at 699 its gone by Friday and he has
no reason to employ his people over the weekend (at least several of the part timers). If he prices it at $799 it will likely still sell but most likely sell during the weekend
and he can at least tell people there is ammo in stock - the price is high. He actually priced some at $899 three weeks ago and told several people he needed to keep
it in stock if he could he had a large order of firearms coming in from Colt and wanted to have ammo there when the rifles arrived. At $899 he sold 2 cases and he
only gets 5 each Tuesday.

The only way the prices will ever return to normal is if they DON'T sell. The only way they DON'T sell it to raise the price.

So, if the owner takes $5,000 of ammo his price and sells it for $30,000 instead of $7,500 by selling it at old prices, its just because hes a nice guy?
If there is an ammo shortage, why is it there is plenty if you are willing to shell out the price? One would think none means none no matter the price.

Well, I can't argue with the logic of people willing to shell out big bucks. I've been lucky and stocked up when I had the chance of the years.
I just went to CTD website, they were willing to sell me 100 boxes (10,000 rounds) of 9mm Luger (one of the hardest to find) if I was willing to shell out almost $9,000, there are many more sites just like them, I ask again, what ammo shortage?

The only way the prices will ever return to normal is if they DON'T sell. The only way they DON'T sell it to raise the price.
Ripon, I will agree with this, people need just to say "NO, I won't pay that price", as long as enough people are buying ammo at any price it won't go back down.
It's not like gasoline, I have to have gas to make it back and forth to work, and other places I need to go. Sadly, whatever the price of gasoline, I pretty much have to pay. Ammo, is a different story,I have enough, I can sit them out. I pick and choose, and when a good deal comes along (and deals do come along) I buy it.
Only the consumers can fix this problem, I am convinced of that.

I can only speak for what I have seen in a gun shop and because I've worked there and know the owner. Right now if he prices 223 1000 round cases at $699 they are
gone in 72 hours maximum with no chance of restocking for 4 days period. He gets this delivery on Tuesday and if he prices it at 699 its gone by Friday and he has
no reason to employ his people over the weekend (at least several of the part timers). If he prices it at $799 it will likely still sell but most likely sell during the weekend
and he can at least tell people there is ammo in stock - the price is high. He actually priced some at $899 three weeks ago and told several people he needed to keep
it in stock if he could he had a large order of firearms coming in from Colt and wanted to have ammo there when the rifles arrived. At $899 he sold 2 cases and he
only gets 5 each Tuesday.

My favorite LGS deals with this by not selling all 5 1000 rd lots as 1000 rd lots. Rather they break them up and sell 20 rds with a reasonable limit on how many an individual can buy. Many more people can buy 60 to 100 rounds than can 1000 rds, and the customer traffic is maintained. They still make money with a price that reflects the current norm, but is still fair considering the current norm.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.