Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a nut shell, more people are buying guns while ammunition makers are treating it like a bubble phenomena. Ammunition production is at max capacity and producers are not going to invest in new equipment and facilities until they feel comfortable that the growth they are seeing is real and not a bubble.

Has nothing to do with the government buying ammo. That's a drop in the bucket compared to civilian demand. I'd look for an easing in 2014 when ammo producers come to the conclusion probably based on sustained gun sales that there is in fact a greater demand and respond by increasing their production capabilities.

I would expect the cost of metals to influence the cost of ammunition for some time to come yet the availability should easy as ammunition producers invest in new plants and equipment to meet demand.

That explanation makes a lot more sense than the conspiracy theories we've been treated to over the past year or so.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
People also need to stop paying the price gougers. Immediately. Had they stopped months ago, .22lr would be easy to find for just one example. The problem is there's still a market for the lazy bums with no work schedule to show up at all the stores at exactly the right time to buy it as it comes in... they then sell it to y'all for three times the price. Stop paying three times the price, and they'll have to go back to their jobs at McDonalds.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
People also need to stop paying the price gougers. Immediately. Had they stopped months ago, .22lr would be easy to find for just one example. The problem is there's still a market for the lazy bums with no work schedule to show up at all the stores at exactly the right time to buy it as it comes in... they then sell it to y'all for three times the price. Stop paying three times the price, and they'll have to go back to their jobs at McDonalds.
Lazy bums? How about people who work swing and night shifts? Are they lazy bums? How about me, I have retired from two different careers. Am I a lazy bum because I am waiting at the door when the store opens? Doesn't it seem logical that if someone was "lazy" they would be sleeping in when the store first opens? As for someone selling that ammo to other people for 3 times the price, I wasn't aware of anyone doing that, but if they are and someone is paying to, more power to them.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
After dropping the Dogs of in the pond I've come to the conclusion it's the wimmens fault.

There's now 5 million wimmen in shooting sports, up 46.5 % since 2001, according to the NSSF and American Rifleman where these statistics were gleaned while dropping off the dogs.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Many people are buying ammo for their first time. They have not been informed that the current prices are "high", they think that is just what it costs. They have not been educated nor have they done their due diligence to find this information.

Another potential problem is that a lot of "10%'ers" [those with incomes in the top 10%] are starting to buy guns and/or buying more guns Based on the many executives I know with six figure salaries they feel its cheaper [how they determine cheaper is a mix bag] but they find it cheaper to buy wherever they can in less than 5 minutes unless the costs is significantly more expensive [keep in mind they are six figure wage earners, so to many of them $50 and even $75 for a brick of 500 .22lr is not expensive].

Many of whom I speak of are executives at companies where it would be looked down upon them sharing this info (or at least they feel that way), so they are closet gun lovers as far as the company know and their coworkers know. This means they feel they cannot walk to the walmart and get ammo cheaply nor the lgs (unless they want to drive hours away from their homes fearing that they will be seen by co-workers, bosses, etc), that leaves them with buying over the internet (which many, if not all, of us know is hit or miss with mostly miss or buying from gunbroker or similar where its open, browse for 3 minutes to find what they want, click buy, etc. and it only takes minutes for them to get what they want.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Maybe it is a combination of events that are all adding up to the shortage. Like raw materials are not being mined in the us. Manufacturers are being pressured by the epa which is causing added financial stress on production. Maybe the introduction of 400 thousand additional semi auto rifles into the market place every year that encourage rapid fire. Maybe an administration threatening our rights caused a panic ripple. Maybe that ripple caused more of a demand because people started hording. All these things if they were to happen at the same time could cause huge demand that could not be met. Maybe.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Lazy bums? How about people who work swing and night shifts? Are they lazy bums? How about me, I have retired from two different careers. Am I a lazy bum because I am waiting at the door when the store opens? Doesn't it seem logical that if someone was "lazy" they would be sleeping in when the store first opens? As for someone selling that ammo to other people for 3 times the price, I wasn't aware of anyone doing that, but if they are and someone is paying to, more power to them.
Hit a nerve did I? I work swings and nights and all kinds of shifts too. I obviously wasn't talking about myself. You aren't in the group I was referring to either, but if you want to be offended just to be offended, be my guest.

If you haven't seen anyone selling it for three times the price, take a gander at armslist, or any local firearms classifieds where it's being sold at ridiculous markups. Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it's not happening.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Many people are buying ammo for their first time. They have not been informed that the current prices are "high", they think that is just what it costs. They have not been educated nor have they done their due diligence to find this information.
Sure, that's part of the problem. I don't believe it's the sole reason or even the biggest part of it though. I'm sure there are a lot of other 'valid' reasons too, a lot of parents who just want to take their kids out plinking for example. The problem is that if all of these people stopped paying the gougers for a little bit, things would switch back a heck of a lot quicker.

If everybody stopped flying for a week, you think the TSA would be getting away with their shit? People can make their voices heard through their actions, but everybody wants to believe they can just vote every four years and that's good enough. A little off topic, but the former is a microcosm of the same mentality found in the latter.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have seen ammo flippers in action both in Nevada and in Arizona in a Surprise Walmart one guy had used an app that told him 15 bulk pack .22 lr were coming in he gathered 4 family members and they camped out at the counter from 3am till 7am when it opened so they could buy all 15 boxes. The guy says sells it at a mark up he didn't say how much.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
one of my biggest worries for moving is not having the abundant cheap ammo supply that I enjoy. and having a nice gun club. I need that too.
If you move to Scottsdale, AZ you will have the nicest gun range in the country and you will soon see that not only is everything else overpriced in California, so is the ammo.

http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
I'm not a lazy bum. I lived and learned the last time there was a gun ban , mag ban etc. I sold all my cheap ammo/guns and reloading supplies and got a Chevy Volt. Silly people stocking up on guns and ammo.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are opportunists who will gouge on prices, yet that's an occurrence that coincides with scarcity. If there was a shortage on Kiwi fruit there would be somebody selling them for three times the price they would normally go for. That's just part of the landscape.

In 2008 there was a run on guns and ammunition which resulted in a shortage. It was somewhat like a bubble in that availability came back, yet not to the extent it was prior to 2008. Fast forward to 2012 and the push for bans and universal background checks. Which prompted another run on guns and ammunition. This time we're coming back sort of yet it's anemic. Why? I believe that there are folks that don't buy that much ammunition who are stocking up, there are no doubt new shooter with new guns wanting ammunition.

The bubble of 2008 along with the 2012 run on guns and ammunition has basically created enough market demand for ammunition that even if the demand tapers off some what there is still going to be enough demand to warrant investing in the equipment and people to increase production.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Flippers,and some of us who would pay the price at any cost.people new to the shooting sports.and the silly crap on tv.oh, and whats going on in the world today and with the current president and his minions.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Several manufacturers are already adding machines to step up supply. Bullet makers, cartridge manufacturers, and the ammo manufacturers are all stepping up but I haven't heard anything from the powder makers. It has been a tear since I have seen the six powders that I use for sale. I am not low yet but it is down to the point where I am seriously looking at a $900 purchase when it becomes available.

Reactions: Seneca
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.