Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped by Sportsmans Warehouse today just to browse shelves...I'm used to seeing the powder shelf empty...Primer Shelf Empty.....308 Caliber bullet shelves empty... .22 (.224) bullet shelves empty. I just needed some small reloading tools. Not expecting anything to be there as their deliveries are Sunday only so you have to be there when they open Monday morning to get a chance to grab any of these Items.

Today is Wednesday ...So definatley not a chance! Been looking at their website and everything says temporarily sold out for weeks.

Walked into the Powder / Bullet / Primer Aisle and there was boxes of Large Rifle primers....I threw one in the cart! .308 bullets were plentiful so I threw a couple boxes in the cart....And low and behold....POWDER!....Rows and rows of beautiful powder...Winchester....Hodgden....IMR...So I threw a couple of 8 pounders in the cart.

They were out of plastic reloading boxes! (CRAP!)

Stopped by the ammo counter in front and bought a couple boxes of Federal .22 Ammo (550 Box)

Everything regular price.

Could it be the end is in sight? I mean they didnt have ALL my powders but they had 20 different varieties!...People were shopping....buying here and there. I talked to one girl that works there and she had stocked the powder aisle Sunday evening and everyone in the store was suprised there was so much left!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I just got my newest Cheaper Than Dirt catalog and on page 4 they show 223's in bulk boxes of 1000 and says to check computer for price. I check their site and Lake City xm855 is $999.79 per 1000.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've noticed even at my Walmart that there's been more ammo on the shelves in the past month. Heck, they had .308's in stock for almost a full week, while before they seemed to sell out within a couple days. I've heard rumors that manufacturers are making more ammo to meet the increased demand, I have no idea if that's really true and I don't want to mislead anyone, but there has been more ammo on my Walmart's shelves lately.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not in my area. I talked to the manager in walmart and he said there is nothing in any stores in the area and nothing in their warehouse. Im good, i have a place online that is very reliable.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath, component bullets are still completely sold out with the on-line distributors. Loaded ammo selection is still poor in my neck of the woods unless you shoot a less popular cartridge. When the shelves are full I'll declare it over. I'm stuck over paying for components bullets with the only local source that has them in stock, he's not gouging his prices were too high before the panic buying started.

By the way I'm green with envy that you guys have Sportsman's Warehouses. All we've got here is a Gander Mountain and a couple of small shops. The local Gander Mtn doesn't carry any reloading components.

-Infidel

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
In Nm and the parts of Texas I have connections, bullets are still gold. There are some out there, but alot of hoarding and guaging going on. Just purchased 1500 9mm shells, and dont even have a 9, but I do have a hammer, and thats basically what a friend had, when he purchased a nice barretta 9, only to have to pay $79 for 40 bullets. I told him to save those for self defense, and he is part of why i pruchased the 1500. I dont need my fiance having a gun she cant shoot. now, that I have some 9's, she will go purchase herself a FNX 9, hopefully tommorrow.
Where she is purchasing gun, they only have enough 9mm in back to "sell you one box with the new pistol purchase".
i dont know anything about bullet production, but to me, It would seem that somebody is getting them all, trickling the rest of the supply to a slow stream, and I bet you they are proffitting from it.
Thank goodness for a few honorable members here, and Jason's Guns, now I am set for my fiance to qualify for her yearly evals.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Ammo is still in shortage until the prices come back to normal.
PMC .223 case was $399 on Election Day, lake city was about $500 for 1000 rounds.
Ammo is still short but the market as adjusted by doubling the price which results in less demand. Once the supply catches up the prices will fall from the absolute gouging that is going on now.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
A buddy of mine that I've bartered with in the past put a post on our gun forum offering 500 rnds of PMC for $499. I scolded him. He laughed and said he sold it for $475.

Ammo is still in shortage until the prices come back to normal.
PMC .223 case was $399 on Election Day, lake city was about $500 for 1000 rounds.
Ammo is still short but the market as adjusted by doubling the price which results in less demand. Once the supply catches up the prices will fall from the absolute gouging that is going on now.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
A buddy of mine that I've bartered with in the past put a post on our gun forum offering 500 rnds of PMC for $499. I scolded him. He laughed and said he sold it for $475.
A fool and his ammo are soon parted

I should be nice, I spent a large part of my life selling retail, not everyone has the skills to barter effectively. If he had taken it to a gun show he could have gotten $750 in the parking lot.

I read recently that the USA produces about 1 billion rounds of ammo a month, even with the huge purchases by DHS and IRS it is a drop in the bucket against total production. Unless they find a way to tax the component manufacturers out of business I see this settling down in 6 months and normal in a year.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Story I read on ammo manufacturing was a billion a week?

$750 for 500 rounds of PMC 223? Really? Its on our forums here in CA
for a good deal less. He thought he was fooling around when he put it
up for $499 and was surprised to sell within a few hours. I've seen
similar even better qualities going for less - his location was just right
with no one else selling.

I don't see things easing up on 223, 22LR or 9mm just yet. Others are
not too bad. 7.62x39 got to .50 a round here - silly.

A fool and his ammo are soon parted

I should be nice, I spent a large part of my life selling retail, not everyone has the skills to barter effectively. If he had taken it to a gun show he could have gotten $750 in the parking lot.

I read recently that the USA produces about 1 billion rounds of ammo a month, even with the huge purchases by DHS and IRS it is a drop in the bucket against total production. Unless they find a way to tax the component manufacturers out of business I see this settling down in 6 months and normal in a year.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well may be you guys have a better buyer in your area as here in Lexington, they have very little in powder and primers. Bullets I buy else where but even that is running 4 - 6 weeks to make the bullets. Luckily I am well stocked but did order 2000 bullets on 2/6 which haven't arrived as of yet. As for reloading equipment they all seem to be pretty much out also.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I've heard from 2 different ammo wholesalers and basically was told that they are looking at the end of the summer / fall time before it starts to return some semblance of normal. I'm sure it will be a new higher priced normal. No tellin though.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think the problem is accentuated in rural areas at the end of the distribution chain. I will get to test this out when I go down to Phoenix this week.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JoeC I was talking about Sportsmans Warehouse in Lexington Kentucky! Had lots of powder yesterday H380 H4198 H4350 Several IMR's...Red dot Green Dot Tons of shotgun powders..pretty much powder for anything? Not lots of it mind you but had maybe 80 of the one pounders....several 8 pounders(March 6th)....picked some up!...bought bullets...primers and all. Got a notification this evening of more bullets being shipped by them to store for me and even ordered more tonight. No Problems! Strange thing was they stocked it Sunday night and there was still quite a bit there on Wed. afternoon

There was a couple guys standing in the powder row with me looking up and we were all laughing.....We arent used to seeing powder in that place!

·
Registered
598 Posts
In my part of California it pretty bad. Big 5 which is a local sport chain is pretty picked though every time you go to one. Yes sometimes there are some .38's or 243's but for the most part its empty. While even a month ago I could find hunting loads those do seem to be vanishing. Maybe it has to do with how Cali wants to ban internet ammo orders, and the fact that our state already has some pretty stupid laws. However on line I am seeing a better selection of ammo in stock. Maybe the people who had to have ammo asap have it and it needs to trickle back to normal.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
We have the fury of a Democratic Legislature (2/3rds control of both houses) and a Democratic "moonbeam" governor. You realize we have two chances. Slim - the courts and none - the governor.
I do think this is impacting CA in terms of ammo in a bad way. Even various city councils are getting in on the act - SF is passing legislation requiring retailers to notify the police of any purchases over 500 rounds,
and banning certain ammo they deem "dangerous." CA's issues are so ugly the ammo craze here is probably worse than in most any other state. We got one idiot in Sacramento that thinks you need a license
to buy ammo, and that we all should be paying 10 cents a round in taxes.

In my part of California it pretty bad. Big 5 which is a local sport chain is pretty picked though every time you go to one. Yes sometimes there are some .38's or 243's but for the most part its empty. While even a month ago I could find hunting loads those do seem to be vanishing. Maybe it has to do with how Cali wants to ban internet ammo orders, and the fact that our state already has some pretty stupid laws. However on line I am seeing a better selection of ammo in stock. Maybe the people who had to have ammo asap have it and it needs to trickle back to normal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im in so cal and cant get shit.... on line is the only hope... Just went in with a buddy for 1000 rounds of PMC 9mm from Natchez.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
CA Guys/Gals
Calguns.net

They have a very active "market place" which is a craigslist of guns and ammo.
Hence you get a lot of ridiculous asking prices because there is no cost to use
it, but I've made deals there and been very happy with them over the past few
years.

If you do sign up let em know Ripon83 sent ya. I don't get anything for it but
i noticed they keep the stat.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts