Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's a theoretical: if you wanted to carry some extra ammo with you how would you do it? I'm sitting here stuck away from some projects (complicated story) so I'm trying to occupy my mind with something ;)

Picture a scenario: you have your rifle, x number of mags and your gear. Supposed you wanted to carry 50... maybe 100 extra rounds. How would you do it? I have started toying with an idea of vacuum sealed small packs ;). That way if you need to stash some ammo someplace you can easily do so.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,855 Posts
I assume this scenario entails a "downtime" where you have the opportunity to repack mags in relative peace.
Personally, if I have a mag fed rifle, the only appropriate way to carry more rounds is loaded into mags.
But if you're going to carry loose ammo, you want something that will protect them, silence them, and keep them accessible.
I'm thinking something like a small sealed container with pick foam to customize your means of storage. You could do small boxes or even individual rounds.
Something like this:

Reactions: Davehb

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 52 micro with rubber insert will hold 50rds 9mm in factory box (such as hornady uses) perfectly.
Or

Test for seal before trusting or get a water proof diving pouch for double security.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
You are correct: the assumption is that I will get time to reload. Altogether I'm being somewhat pragmatic and figure that if I need more then 5 mags worth in a hurry and I'm traveling solo, I'm (removed).

I like the small box idea, though it does add weight (all of the ones posted show fair amount of weight to them) which again makes me think vacuum sealed bags. If I was to pack them 20 at a time for my 308 or 30 at a time for my 5.56 I could use one pack each for reload and it looks like when packed in plastic it's quiet when it hits one pack to another.

Just realized the downside to vacuum sealing though...it's one time use: so once I used it up during travel and I find more I can't repack it the same way.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I reuse the bullet boxes after reloading. Most of the time it's Hornady. Those small little red boxes are very sturdy and hold up nice. Vacum pack the whole box once filled and marked. They are perfect size for 50 or 100 rounds depending on caliber. Put some extra foam in to keep things from rattling.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,855 Posts
I had to try out my idea for this, and happened to be in Harbor Freight this evening. Picked up one of those cheap Pelican knockoff cases, the smallest they had with "pluck foam". It was larger than the one I linked above, had a handle too. Not ideal for small packing, but holds more. Inside were three layers of pluck foam, about 1" thick each. Got it home and stuffed some loose rounds into it.
I securely inserted 40 rounds of .300AAC and 80 rounds of 9mm. I pushed each round into the intersection of the pluck foam pieces without actually removing any foam. They hold securely and the foam "self heals" when you remove them, so it's very reusable. I pushed the .300 rounds through two layers since they're longer, but the 9mm I was able to stack on top of each other, 40 rounds per layer. The whole bottom layer is still unused, but would only work for short handgun rounds due to thickness. As I was typing this, a thought occurred to me, and I went in and tried to fit some longer rounds. I put a whole box of .270WIN in it too, and some loose ones I had lying around. The .270 obviously went through all three layers, so a sacrifice would have to be made for such long rounds, but they do fit.
Took some pics too.
Brown Light Product Black Rectangle

Hand Human body Office equipment Finger Wrist

So the function works.
But is it optimal? Is it long-term safe from corrosion?
I dunno. 🤷‍♂️

But the concept has merit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Okay, here I was thinking you wanted to carry an extra 100 pounds of ammo (whether in magazines or loose doesn't matter--still 100 pounds). I'd be thinking about a backpacker's cart--it's a thing, really. Basically a two wheeled cart you can attach to your pack so it will trail along behind you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, here I was thinking you wanted to carry an extra 100 pounds of ammo (whether in magazines or loose doesn't matter--still 100 pounds). I'd be thinking about a backpacker's cart--it's a thing, really. Basically a two wheeled cart you can attach to your pack so it will trail along behind you.
ROTFLMAO - I can just picture the attack, withdraw, maneuver with that in tow LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts