Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes folks in case you wondered, Wally World is still selling ammo! You just have to be there when it comes off the truck to get in on the deal.

I scammed on 400 rounds of 9mm Federal Value Packs of 100 rounds for 21.00 fun dollars last night at a store up in northern Denton Texas! I would have bought more but they were only allowing 2 boxes per a customer and it was just mne and my buddy so that limited my purchase. They had just put the ammo out less than 10 minutes before we arived at the sproting good section. Looks like they had put about a case worth out as there were about 20 boxes or so there. Yes the price was the same as it was on this UPC code before the mad ruch on those Evil Black Rifles and ammo started. Now if they would have just gotten some 45 ACP in instead... which is what I really wanted instead of 9mm, life would have been even more grand.

So contrary to what you may have herd, they are still selling ammo and they are getting it in but its definitely going to be a case of the "Early Bird Gets the Worm"! You just gotta stalk the ammo case like a vulture, thats all.

·
Registered
335 Posts
yeah, my father didnt believe me that there were some shortages/high demand. I told him I was having trouble finding .22 ammo - totally sold out in 5 different stores in my area. I guess he went to two walmarts in his area - totally sold out.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You just have to be there when it comes off the truck to get in on the deal.
Thats EXACTLY it right there . . . I have been to so many wal marts here in Denver than the one in Cheyenne and Casper wyoming and the one in billings and bare shelves every which way unless you want 30/06 .270 or shotgun shells unfortunately !!

Seems like I am almost ALWAYS there right after everyone leaves with all the ammo :(

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I visited Wally on Sunday and they had about 5 boxes of ammo and 3 of them were various shot gun rounds of bird shot.
The place looked like a looting had occured and even though an employee was in the area she didn't look to be loading the
shelves.

I spend a lot of time on calguns.net and the forum there has been wild, but there have been "ammo" sitings at Palmetto,
Midway and a few others. They go fast. Some site called 44mag or something like that posted 29.95 AR magazines
last night - they are sold out now - 30 rnd metal teflon coated types. Nice. I wouldn't have minded getting 10 but
I had a busy weekend of dealings and came out way ahead so I have to go with what I got.

Its starting to look like the natives are getting tired of the high prices and once a proposal like Difies - Dies on the
vine I think a sell off might occur - good times ahead.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I visited two Walmarts this afternoon looking for .22 and .270. One had .270, but said they haven't had .22 in about three weeks. The other one said that someone came in around noon and bought all of the .22 rounds they had... about $800.00. They even bought all of the $3.00, 50-round boxes. Those are about 6 cents per round as apposed to the 550-round Federal boxes at about 3.5 cents per round.

As I was about to leave, the lady I talked to was putting up signs on the ammo case. She said that Walmart just put out a policy this afternoon of a 3-box limit per customer for all ammo.

·
Super Moderator
9,674 Posts
Not to be hard on anyone, but why were any of you not stocking ammo before this ? I would always try to buy at least a box or two every payday and then a case of two when money permitted.....or why so many not reloading ? I would have guessed that preppers would have been more prepared.....
I bought by the case until this happened. I am kinda ok on most things but would like to have more for practice. 9mm is the only thing I am lacking and that's because I bought my sig just before the bs happened and didn't have the money at the time to buy.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I actually did a detailed inventory of my ammo this past weekend. Sometimes the brain doesn't keep up with the facts too well, and I was over stocked in 22,9mm,357,20 ga, 7.62x39 and understocked in 223 dang it. I've been shooting it a little too heavy I guess the past year and probably went through 800/1000 rounds. 223/5.56 was the only caliber I felt short and its not like I'm out - just not at the 3k I'd like to be. Wally just started selling 400 round ammo boxes of 223 before this all started and I was hoping to pick one or two up - oh well. I got a trade for 357 to 223 going through that should even me out.

Not to be hard on anyone, but why were any of you not stocking ammo before this ? I would always try to buy at least a box or two every payday and then a case of two when money permitted.....or why so many not reloading ? I would have guessed that preppers would have been more prepared.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
After the shooting I figured If i couldn't beat the ammo shortage so I would join the panic crowd and wen't out and got lucky enough to get a box of .223 for 500$ per 1,000 that I thought I was being burnt on at the time but later found it it was selling for 1$ a shot at gun shows also since I live close to buds gun shop I was lucky enough to get a surplus of AR mags which im currently selling for nearly triple what I paid for them while keeping a few extra for myself. I do remember CCI 100 round bricks were going for 11.99 and Bulk 500 ammo was going for 35$ and I couldn't get around to paying that much but im re-thinking that at the moment as I was going target shooting every weekend hasn't been going on anymore as im afraid of shooting what I have left.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I stocked up on 9mm and .40cal and was working on getting my rifle ammo stocked, then the shtf and now I'm scrounging, did find a place that still has an ample amount of ak rounds because a lot of the rednecks here don't use aks! So I need to free up cash and go clean them out! Walmart is completely dry of all common calibers.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I was lucky enough to get a surplus of AR mags which im currently selling for nearly triple what I paid for them while keeping a few extra for myself.
Not trying to be mean, but why jack up the prices on things, you are completely adding to the panic. It really burns me up when people take advantage of their own kind out of desperation. We should be banding together and helping eachother, instead of preying on each other...

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
heh. the local range called and offered me 1.00 per round- i paid .25 per round. i dont want money i want the ammo. so i took them 5000 rounds till thier shipment gets here next wed. they wil pay me back 6000 rounds. they are selling theirs 1.50 per round. they just cant get it.

they are selling the 500 brick of 22 for 40.00 bux. heh. not to me they arent. so i paid 20 per brick out the door for 4 bricks. i give 22 away and really barter A whole bunch with the other caliburs. they are only selling one brick per cutomer.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am working nights and get off at 4 am. Thinking about seeing what is there while there are stocking for the day
Bro, thats the way your going to get it if you get any at all!!! You almost have to be there when they put it out to cash in on the getting. If you wait till sun up you will find your self left high and dry! Even with them rationing purchases to 2-6 boxes per a customer, there wont be anything left of the case they stocked last night by mid morning, I promise.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh my friend but I so do. As soon as the ammo shortage of 2008-2009 eased I was snatching up at least a few boxes every payday (I have 3 pay days a month) without fail and I am so glad I did. I also learned my lesson too on reloading components as well. While I had a considerable stash, it was too close a call for me to have a warm and fuzzy so I made a promise to myself that I wouldnt be lacking a thing next time even as a reloader. Right now if your a reloader, I hope that your well stocked becuase that section of the shelves aint looking so great right now and I already have folks wanting to buy Small Pistol Primers off me for 4 times what I paid for them!

Im still buying ammo now even when it is available and I find it for the pre-shortage price, but I am mainly buying what cant be reloaded or just being opertuinistic and grabbing a few boxes of this or that for good measure if nothing else. Not only can I shoot a few rounds at the gun range weekly, but I will have a stash of new once fire brass to reload several times over.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have been watching Dick's and Wal-mart ammo stocks dissappear since Sandy Hook. All they have are 17 HMR, 22 short, and other obscure calibres I don't own.

I thought it was getting better, but it was because Dick's has put out all of there turkey loads.

I have virtually no ammo, and I don't know what I am going to do.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, some of my Homies who didnt listen to my advice and prior warnings and got caught with their pants down are SOL. Its not a hate thing, its just I aint giving up one single round unless SHTF and I need some compadres to help me watch my back. Hopefully after this ammo drought is over they will heed my advice and take it for action and not get themselves caught up in a jam like they did this time. I guess sometimes learning is a slow and lengthy process...

Its hard to say no and not throw them a bone and hook them up with some ammo at cost but man, who knows when the drought will end. I gotta look out for big number one here as hard as that sometimes is to do. But man there are sure some desperate folks out there willing to sell their soul for a box of ammo right now and its criminal to see what some of them are paying!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
the very first thing i learned to prep on purpose was ammo. not just enough for my self, but for my group, me with ammo is meh okay- but agroup with ammo could sustain a lot easier.

im not for really worried short term, but for the right price i am buying.
i will be looking into learning reloading.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
A guy on another forum ordered me a G19 mag from Midway to do a trade on some Remington Golden 22 lr 525 rd value pack.

The mag is $24.99, same price as on the box from Dunhams. I have seen both the mags and 22's go for $50 or more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good point, I have a good amount(5K+) stashed but, I go to the range once sometimes twice a week this time of year. So I have a choice, use my lower cost ammo till the pricing stabilizes, or buy as I go along keeping my reserve. Have been buying as I went. Alot of ammo available is higher cost match grade or personal protection rounds like Hornaday.it has increased a range trip double if not more. Wait till Obama and Feinstien gets done, only the wealthy will be able to afford ammo.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts