Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So did anyone happen to watch America's gun The rise of the AR15 on CNBC?
James Yeager...admits he is a prepper...and later walks out on an interview.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I would not do CNBC the honor of watching there propaganda

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
America's gun is not an AR15. Maybe a .22 The 30-30 lever was for a long time number one. The 12 G shot gun maybe but not the AR15

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
My AR 15 is great and all but if America has a gun I think it would be John Browning's venerable Colt .45 ACP model 1911.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I think the next article they should do is "America's Ammo,Where is it?".........naw,, they wouldn't do anything like that would they?.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I watched it. A buddy e-mailed me it was coming on.

It was interesting to see the different brands and a few guys had SBRs.

The segment on the X-rays of shooting victims at the Aurora, CO movie theater was a little over the top. Showing how a high velocity .223 round was designed to yaw and tumble in human tissue and the shattered bones were deliberately dramatized. Stating that such injuries cannot be repaired surgically and result in amputation was excessively skewed. If they had shown what other bullets do it would have been even more graphic. But they had an anti-assault-weapon bias on their agenda.

The gun store owner saying an M1A would not be banned and would do more damage than an AR would was completely ignored by the producer and reporter (thankfully). The part about LGSs doing a million dollars a month in business was stunning, for such a small shop. Hope they had a decent margin on guns for their sake....

It was not a complete smear show, but it was not balanced in its approach or perspective.

The part on Yeager was an embarrassment. That guy has some serious anger management problems, and a short fuse in a hot head with a big mouth is a bad combination. The reporter intentionally provoked him and he refused to speak on camera after that. Not the kind of spokesperson gun owners really need. His training classes were covered in a way that was almost comical - targets at 10 yards for carbines....

It was not that good of a program, not surprising considering the network. Trying to make gun owners look like angry scared people. Coverage of women shooters was not as biased, but I felt they were mocking the women as using guns like fashion accessories....

It will be re-run to death I am sure....

·
9,020 Posts
I watched it. A buddy e-mailed me it was coming on.

It was interesting to see the different brands and a few guys had SBRs.

The segment on the X-rays of shooting victims at the Aurora, CO movie theater was a little over the top. Showing how a high velocity .223 round was designed to yaw and tumble in human tissue and the shattered bones were deliberately dramatized. Stating that such injuries cannot be repaired surgically and result in amputation was excessively skewed. If they had shown what other bullets do it would have been even more graphic. But they had an anti-assault-weapon bias on their agenda.

The gun store owner saying an M1A would not be banned and would do more damage than an AR would was completely ignored by the producer and reporter (thankfully). The part about LGSs doing a million dollars a month in business was stunning, for such a small shop. Hope they had a decent margin on guns for their sake....

It was not a complete smear show, but it was not balanced in its approach or perspective.

The part on Yeager was an embarrassment. That guy has some serious anger management problems, and a short fuse in a hot head with a big mouth is a bad combination. The reporter intentionally provoked him and he refused to speak on camera after that. Not the kind of spokesperson gun owners really need. His training classes were covered in a way that was almost comical - targets at 10 yards for carbines....

It was not that good of a program, not surprising considering the network. Trying to make gun owners look like angry scared people. Coverage of women shooters was not as biased, but I felt they were mocking the women as using guns like fashion accessories....

It will be re-run to death I am sure....
To be honest with, When My buddy had his wife at a gun shop pick out a gun, she had a Walther .380 with a laser in silver over black and asked, (now wait for it)_
"Does it come in any other colors?"

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
For longevity I agree the 1911 .45APC is the hands down winner now still in service 100 years later. The AR15/M4 is easily second as we are now over 50 years I use and no plans to change anytime soon.

It could be argued the M1903/M1 in 30.06 was number 2 but obvious sales numbers currently make this #3 IMO

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have an AR-10 variant - in .308. Weighs over ten pounds loaded with optics and bipod. Soaks up the recoil though.

I use it for hunting and range work. Free floated 20" fluted barrel, shoots sub-MOA with match ammo.

One of the best guns in my safe. No AR-15s though - I prefer gas piston guns to direct impingement guns - run much cleaner and cooler.

I don't mind cleaning one DI gun, since I only shoot it around 100 rounds or so at a time, but cleaning all that baked on carbon sucks. It will outshoot my gas piston guns, though (which are not truly free floated) and it almost rivals my bolt action guns for accuracy.

But cleaning and brushing the chamber and scraping the bolt carrier group is very laborious. Plus carbon buildup and excessive heat can cause a DI gun to malfunction unless you lube the gun often and run it wet. Worth it for one gun, but piston guns are my preferred semi-auto design. They just run and gun for thousands of rounds....

·
Administrator
14,872 Posts
I guess we, as a nation, have fallen farther that I had thought. For a long, long time America's caliber was .30, and America's rifle was a bolt action 30-06. American made, of course.
You can go to any continent on the planet and find 30-06 ammo for sale. Except maybe Antartica.
If I was limited to just one rifle it would be an iron sighted, bolt action, 30-06.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since the money I would normally spend on ammo is available for other things...I've thought about getting one of these...

AR-15/M16/AR-STYLE .308 CAT TOOL | Brownells

Sometimes gadgets are a good thing...I currently use DIY bronze scrapers made from bar stock, they work and are easy to make and mine have evolved over time. Yet an all in one tool could be a boon to keep in a compact kit...

America's rifle? if the AR isn't then it is rapidly becoming. I believe the program was slanted towards a certian demographic that is currently stinging from being rejected by the senate. No new AWB, no new cap on magazined and no expanded background checks. All things they desperately wanted...

Sure, the program was filled with innacuracies and misinformation, my opinion is that the media plays to this particular demographic in that fashion because thats how gullible low information types understand and relate. I certainly wasn't suggesting the more rational among us should agree with it. On the otherhand they have just been handed a stunning defeat and are looking to recoup, to James credit he didn't give them what the wanted...instead of taking the bait he walked away. There is hope...lol

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I guess we, as a nation, have fallen farther that I had thought. For a long, long time America's caliber was .30, and America's rifle was a bolt action 30-06. American made, of course.
You can go to any continent on the planet and find 30-06 ammo for sale. Except maybe Antartica.
If I was limited to just one rifle it would be an iron sighted, bolt action, 30-06.
My favorite caliber is .308/7.62x51. It is heavy enough to bring down a buck and small enough that Mrs. Inor can manage it. She will point out that she did just fine when she shot a Garand in 30-06 (and she did - she has been on me to buy a Garand ever since). But I am also sure she would be really pissed at ME if SHE chose to carry one all day while deer hunting. :grin:

·
9,020 Posts
Since the money I would normally spend on ammo is available for other things...I've thought about getting one of these...

AR-15/M16/AR-STYLE .308 CAT TOOL | Brownells

Sometimes gadgets are a good thing...I currently use DIY bronze scrapers made from bar stock, they work and are easy to make and mine have evolved over time. Yet an all in one tool could be a boon to keep in a compact kit...

America's rifle? if the AR isn't then it is rapidly becoming. I believe the program was slanted towards a certian demographic that is currently stinging from being rejected by the senate. No new AWB, no new cap on magazined and no expanded background checks. All things they desperately wanted...

Sure, the program was filled with innacuracies and misinformation, my opinion is that the media plays to this particular demographic in that fashion because thats how gullible low information types understand and relate. I certainly wasn't suggesting the more rational among us should agree with it. On the otherhand they have just been handed a stunning defeat and are looking to recoup, to James credit he didn't give them what the wanted...instead of taking the bait he walked away. There is hope...lol
Interesting tool, will have to put them on my want one list. Thanks for link

1 - 17 of 17 Posts