Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Financial antifragility
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course, I should prep. Duh!

But, not living in America, where I’m from, how seriously do I need to take all these dire events unfolding that I hear about on podcasts?

I’ve got about a months’ supply of food in storage, but my prepping is mostly focused on financial antifragility since I’m worried about inflation. I’ve got a portfolio of crypto and some gold. I work online for myself and business has slowed down some since all this COVID nonsense, but unless civilization totally descends into anarchy I think I’ll have work for the foreseeable future.

For the time being, I’m putting my “prepping” budget into crypto so I can survive and profit from the downfall of the US Dollar. I also do a lot of “biohacking” - fortifying my immune system so I can hopefully survive whatever microscopic nastiness comes my way.
Am I being naive not worrying that we’ll have catastrophic food shortages here? Is there reason to worry that inflation of the US dollar will dramatically affect the economy of a small European country?

I can’t get a gun here, but I live in a pretty safe country. The government is not great here but they haven’t gone full-1984 with COVID lockdowns or importing the third world. My wife has a property in the countryside with a sizable garden where I’ve thought about getting my thumbs green.

I feel like I’m prepped about as much as I need to be having placed an ocean between myself and all of America’s craziness or am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,747 Posts
If you need a reason to prep, and you're in eastern Europe, perhaps a history book would do the trick to motivate you.
You are in, or near, the geographical location of some of the worst atrocities ever committed by man against man. The blood upon which you walk cries out to you to never forget what happened there.
America might be crazy right now, and getting worse... but we don't yet have a history of slaughtering tens of millions of innocent people for the sake of "Utopia".
You need a reason to prep?
Here it is: The Gulag Archipelago

May we never become so complacent as to EVER let that happen again.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
If I were you (and I have enough trouble here in 'the States) I'd carry something that was recognized as "legal" in their twisted land, and then learn how to refine edges.

I don't like Europeans, and why should I? Every time I saw one of them post on one of my entries there was always someone who made some crack about the USA and all of us cowboys. Yikes, had I known this years ago I would have tried to seek our President's office and made sure that America resides for the Americans first and foremost.

Thankfully, none of my uncles died killing Nazis as the Europeans ran and hid in their own country. Right now I'm looking into that "electric car" project on TV. Yes, I know that somewhere under that car hood is a Japanese 'something.' I carry Italian knives and perhaps wear Mexican boots, that's commerce in our modern day and age...

·
Registered
198 Posts
You need a reason to prep?
Here it is: The Gulag Archipelago
It's a good read. But I would warn readers against being fascinated by the personality of Solzhenitsyn.
In his books, he very carefully avoided sensitive topics that could affect the big bosses of the Soviet Communist Party.
Therefore, some people think that the author is not as simple and honest guy as he wanted to appear.
It is strange that he agreed to talk with former employees of the KGB of the USSR, who, together with their clans, still rule Russia, but under new names.
Personally, I cannot justify this behavior for a former prisoner.
This is just my opinion. There are also books on the same topic, but not all have been translated.
This should be in English Kolyma Tales

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Pretty safe country. Wonder what the people thought before they got forced on the train??

Can't have a gun?? Wouldn't be there very long. You at least have a bow or something??

·
Super Moderator
9,608 Posts
Of course, I should prep. Duh!

But, not living in America, where I’m from, how seriously do I need to take all these dire events unfolding that I hear about on podcasts?

I’ve got about a months’ supply of food in storage, but my prepping is mostly focused on financial antifragility since I’m worried about inflation. I’ve got a portfolio of crypto and some gold. I work online for myself and business has slowed down some since all this COVID nonsense, but unless civilization totally descends into anarchy I think I’ll have work for the foreseeable future.

For the time being, I’m putting my “prepping” budget into crypto so I can survive and profit from the downfall of the US Dollar. I also do a lot of “biohacking” - fortifying my immune system so I can hopefully survive whatever microscopic nastiness comes my way.
Am I being naive not worrying that we’ll have catastrophic food shortages here? Is there reason to worry that inflation of the US dollar will dramatically affect the economy of a small European country?

I can’t get a gun here, but I live in a pretty safe country. The government is not great here but they haven’t gone full-1984 with COVID lockdowns or importing the third world. My wife has a property in the countryside with a sizable garden where I’ve thought about getting my thumbs green.

I feel like I’m prepped about as much as I need to be having placed an ocean between myself and all of America’s craziness or am I missing something?
Fortunately nothing bad has ever happened in Europe. Go for your crypto.

·
Administrator
15,266 Posts
With China manipuating the crypto market, and all the various currencies losing big money, one fell 47%, I don't think crypto is where to be.
And for a lot of other reasons besides China.

Bulgaria has been over run by the Russians before. Something to think about.

·
Registered
Financial antifragility
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With China manipuating the crypto market, and all the various currencies losing big money, one fell 47%, I don't think crypto is where to be.
Bulgaria has been over run by the Russians before. Something to think about.
Yeah, but China is certainly manipulating any fiat currency. I'm not going to be able to spend gold on calories anytime soon. Bitcoin is the best performing asset of the past decade.

Russians liberated Bulgaria from the Ottoman Empire, we're pretty far south, there's no Russian minority here so I'm not so I'm really not worried about Putin here.

·
Registered
Financial antifragility
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you need a reason to prep, and you're in eastern Europe, perhaps a history book would do the trick to motivate you.
Yeah, I've read a lot of history, Bulgarians have already had their learning experience with communism. Almost everyone I talk to here is very anti-communist. That history is not going to repeat here anytime soon. The center-right party holds onto power in every election.

·
Registered
Financial antifragility
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't have a gun?? Wouldn't be there very long. You at least have a bow or something??
You actually can own guns here, but there's nothing like a castle doctrine. There have been cases of people being jailed for defending themselves apparently. You actually have to give up some rights to get a gun here, so I don't really see the point of going through an onerous licensing process if I live in a relatively safe area.

I like the cross-bow idea!

·
Registered
Keystone 610
41 Posts
Everyone should should prep for at least some natural and made made disasters.
Let’s say they where evacuating people to get them to safety. A train accident that carrying chems, a fire or a flood. Get into a bug out bag that can keep you going for 72hrs. Try to always keep your gas tank full.
You should consider have at least a 2 week supply of food and water. Some power outages only last a day or two but a bad one can leave with now power for a week or more. Don’t forget about meds and first aid.

By doing this you not only take care of yourself but freeing up the hand out crisis resources that others might need.

For home defense, don’t be an easy target, how is the lighting around your house? Do you have easy access windows that someone could climb through, maybe plant some thorny rose bushes. Burglars want easy score, don’t be an easy score. For a weapon get the best you can legally have and train with it.
If you get to that point then your probably %80 better off then the others out there.

After the 2 week goal is accomplished then take it as far as you like.

I personally like gardening, it gets you outside and it’s good exercise. I germinate seedlings and give them to my neighbors as gifts in hopes of encouraging them. I don’t tell them “you need to grow this Incase of SHTF”. I just hope they get the gardening bug and take up the hobby. I have stocked up on many seeds to hand out Incase things get really shitty.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,747 Posts
And for a lot of other reasons besides China.
Crypto does not answer to any regulating body. There is no way to manipulate it other than the buying/selling/mining of "coins".
Buying coins drives the price up as circulating supply decreases, like any limited resource.
Selling coins drives the price down as circulating supply increases.
Mining new coins has a two fold effect. Mining goes toward verifying the blockchain log of transactions, which is necessary for the blockchain economy to function. It also introduces new supply VERY SLOWLY (depending on the coin), which has a slight downward affect on price as the coins are added to circulation.

This week, China came out and said they would NOT be allowing Bitcoin to be a transactable currency in their country. That's the news that caused the crypto market to panic. It wasn't China "doing" anything, just news of their intent.
What this means on its face is that China will not allow the use of the currency, and likely won't allow large scale mining of the coin due to its energy consumption.
Whether it means the Chinese government will establish itself as the only holder of crypto and mining functions in the country, we don't know. But we know that they won't allow individuals to utilize it. This will have an effect of reducing demand, which will have an affect on price. The extent to which is not know at this time.

In any case, it basically means the whole of China can't work to affect the price anymore; at least not legally.
That won't stop people who use a VPN from getting to their various coin exchanges, but it will likely cause a reduction.

In the end, there should be little worry about China's overall influence, since these blockchain currencies are designed in such as a way as to be decentralized and unconnected from the whims of any government.
The markets will recover and continue. In the future, China might wish it had not taken the position it now has.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's a good read. But I would warn readers against being fascinated by the personality of Solzhenitsyn.
In his books, he very carefully avoided sensitive topics that could affect the big bosses of the Soviet Communist Party.
Therefore, some people think that the author is not as simple and honest guy as he wanted to appear.
It is strange that he agreed to talk with former employees of the KGB of the USSR, who, together with their clans, still rule Russia, but under new names.
Personally, I cannot justify this behavior for a former prisoner.
This is just my opinion. There are also books on the same topic, but not all have been translated.
This should be in English Kolyma Tales
Maybe dying wasn’t on his agenda...
You must not have read The Cancer Ward.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts