Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that I live in a rural area on 12 acres. We have a small farm/ ranch and also have timber. I understand have a bug out plan living in a city, and have a bug out bag. Now for my family we plan to stay on our place. Now that does not mean that I haven’t made up bug out bags in a last resort. My question is over the last few years of watch some of the Doomsday prepper TV series and I understand it TV, these preppers who plan to travel 800, 1,400 miles to get to their location. Am I missing the point? I can’t believe that in a doomsday situation you would be able to travel this far. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
887 Posts
You arent missing anything. My long term I mean TEOTWATI is 800 miles away but it would take that to displace me from my 2 1/2 acres I have currently. And even then its a wait and see scenario.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Doomsday Preppers reality is hollywood hooey anyway. I think we all are set for personal defense and that is really the easy part. Concealling what you have. Not drawing unwanted attention and just making common sense preps like food, water, power, transpo, hunting/fishing, woodsman/waterman skills will give you longevity and survivability. Anyone patterning their plans after the extreme examples on reality TV may last the first two days, but after that they will become part of the nomadic hoards as well. They'll just be a little better armed. Just my $.02

punch

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Traveling that far would be extremely optimistic even with wide open and clear roads unless you got a tour bus for a BOV and its got a generous fuel tank. I am thinking if you have to refuel your probably screwed and stuck right where your at when you run out of fuel. But hey, maybe I am missing something?

I dont think there are going to be too many vehicles out there where you can salvage fuel from them. They are most likely heading for the hills too until they ran out of gas which is why the vehicle is abondoned on the side of the road. I think that by the time you get 400 miles down the road unless you had a lot of foresight and left way early ahead of the masses, gas at the pumps will likely be out. Then what are you going to do? Inquiring minds wanna know!

I will tell you though, that when I was stationed in Washington I was going to try and drive down to Texas and meet up with all the family. To do this I had to rent 3 storage units that were budgetly priced and store 35 gallons of fuel at each one along with some other supplies. In my mind that was the only way to make sure that I could have enough fuel to make it to my destination.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Nice thing about having land is you always keep gas around for power tools. Oil too. So when it comes to the drive. Which aint on my first or plan B.....I do have the gas to get there and a little extra to make sure everything there fires up allright. And I keep a spare propane. Thats just part of the Big Out plan. For those inquiring minds ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think that anything outside of a few hours travel time is completely unrealistic. I still think that for the most part in more isolated areas your best bet is staying put. If you are within 20 miles of a major city, I think you need to have a bug out plan. But it is not 100% necessary that you execute it. Just have it worked out.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand have a plan. I have many. But most scenario's cut off our oil supply and even if you have gas will the roads be useable with other people block highways to take what you have. Or how about the miltary if they need what you have they will take what they need also. I just do not see the 800+ miles traveled. Now if you get a big start on the rest of everyone I believe some may make the plans of 800 miles to work with extra gas. I believe what every you have will be it. If that is extra 5 gallons or 1,000 gallons. Same with ever thing else you have. I believe as the days pass it will even be more harder to travel. I wish anyone who is trying this the very best of luck.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think that TV show's purpose is to make us look like radicals,buffoons and jackasses. Yes,in a SHTF scenario I think it may be difficult to travel a long distance. Seems to me that anyone could find a place within 50-100 miles of their home

Several months ago, before i joined this forum, when I first saw "DDPs" I laughed and thought I was watching a remake of the Three Stooges. I will give it credit for it making me take a look at myself and realize that I had started years ago, just didn't have a good plan. Now I work on the plan continually.

Reactions: oswegoscott

·
Registered
492 Posts
Traveling that far would be extremely optimistic even with wide open and clear roads unless you got a tour bus for a BOV and its got a generous fuel tank. I am thinking if you have to refuel your probably screwed and stuck right where your at when you run out of fuel. But hey, maybe I am missing something?

I dont think there are going to be too many vehicles out there where you can salvage fuel from them. They are most likely heading for the hills too until they ran out of gas which is why the vehicle is abondoned on the side of the road. I think that by the time you get 400 miles down the road unless you had a lot of foresight and left way early ahead of the masses, gas at the pumps will likely be out. Then what are you going to do? Inquiring minds wanna know!

I will tell you though, that when I was stationed in Washington I was going to try and drive down to Texas and meet up with all the family. To do this I had to rent 3 storage units that were budgetly priced and store 35 gallons of fuel at each one along with some other supplies. In my mind that was the only way to make sure that I could have enough fuel to make it to my destination.
Well, if you're like me (and I know I am) you won't be waiting for a glowing radiation cloud or the unwashed masses to come beat down your door. I'll be happily motoring along to my lake property. If the emergency/natural disaster turns out to be a false alarm big deal cause I don't go up there near enough and I enjoy talking and catching up with my neighbors. In the past few scenarios, I sent the family out ahead while I secured what was to left behind. Oh, dont forget to park whatever vehicle that gets left behind right smack in front of your door so if they manage to break in they would be limited in what they could take out. I think most of us will see tell tale signs of pending doom.

Take Sandy Hook, the second they(the media) tried to convince the public that it was the little black rifles fault, I stepped up my adopt a case of ammo program. I went nuts in Walmart, Academy and few online places. I'm sorry to say that while I did not get it all, I got enough LOL. If you wait till the media says there is rioting looting and the like, then your are too late and you had better have planned to bug in, which you should have done anyway. Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none. You'll see that a lot in this forum and thats because its true. Think of your neighbor wanting to borrow your wheel barrow, cause he likely won't return in until you remind him, but what if you need it and he's off borrowing someone's shovel or lawn mower?. Hey punch can I borrow one of your wheel barrows? Answer: Nope, cause then I'll only have one... What are you trying to do there? Maybe I'll help you haul it to the curb.

Regarding gasoline, make sure to have fuel stabilier in everything even your vehicles.(Stabil is the one I use. its pretty cheap and it goes a long ways, but there are other brands I'm sure is just as good.) It keeps for a year and it makes for easy starts. Kerosene lanterns, generators, nows the time to get a conversion kit to have the option or running your genny on propane or natural gas or both. Look for tri-fuel conversion kits. Some preppers intentional plan their BOL to be more than a tankful of gas away so they carry jerry cans of fuel so they can make it to said destination while anyone following will be, well screwed. Hell I might just drive back after I'm settled and cherry pick the gear in any vehicle that was following me. (hey, he started it.) But I'd rather be labled crazy eating dinty moores and listening to my shortwave then standing around the Superdome for three weeks waiting for Barack Hussein Bouvier Obama to send over a case of ozarka water and some MRE's no thank you. But thats just me...I funny that way. I'm just sayin...

punch

·
Registered
887 Posts
Sounds like a city folk issue tbh. I like to hear what there plans are for getting out of the cities if SHTF. Rural folk are more worried about that then Bugging Out.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes sir! Thank God I'm a country boy! We got more common sense anyways...
City folks think were dumb and I like that just fine, it actually works in my favor.
"I no speek inguish"

punch (aww shucks is just part of my endearing charm)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I think that TV show's purpose is to make us look like radicals,buffoons and jackasses.
Yes,in a SHTF scenario I think it may be difficult to travel a long distance. Seems to me that anyone could find a place within 50-100 miles of their home
I whole heartedly agree. Anything coming out of hollywood cant really be taken all that serious anyways. Like Old Man says when the SHTF, I think your pretty much stuck with what you got unless you can be one of the first to top off before the pumps run dry or run out of power. I agree to that you should be able to find something with in a 100 miles or so that will provide you safe refuge. Now that might not be the case for some given their location but I think for the Majority it is.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I can't imagine you will be able to travel on freeways. If it is a pandemic and the government decides to quarantine, it won't be easy to get out of Dodge. We have big gates on the freeway entrances. They can be closed. People would be clogging the freeways and I don't think traffic will be moving at all. If you try to travel on state highways, you will have to pass thru small cities and towns. Many of those may have their own militias set up. You won't just be able to cruise down Main Street like it was a Sunday afternoon. Small town people know each other and they won't take to strangers. You will have to negotiate your way thru town. If it is a pandemic situation, no one wants exposure to germs. You won't be welcome. You can resort to town roads, but, many of those don't have bridges to cross major rivers and at some point, you will still hit small towns. Rural people are armed. They have always had guns.

I live 50 miles from a midsize city. Before any one from that city gets out to me, they have to drive thru the most conservative, probably best armed, populated area in the country. I am figuring, a lot of them are not going to get thru to me.

The other thing, being a rural person, I can tell you that people with cottages or second homes are robbed a lot. In some counties, you see second homes with bars on windows. Often times the cottages have their woodstoves stolen! It's possible that some one will appropriate your bug out location and when you get there, they may be all settled in.

I think this 'bug out' thing on Doomsday Preppers is way oversold. I think that show is really dumb, and they make reasonable preppers look really stupid.

The farther away from a city you live, the better off you are if the SHTF. But once the SHTF good luck getting to a remote location. Living in a remote location full time has downsides, like no jobs, crappier schools, crappier medical care etc. I know, I have done it. I ended up settling for small acreage, with a semi-sustainable lifestyle, 50 miles from a major city and 30 miles from a smaller city, 4 miles out of a small town, where I know a lot of folks. The downside, is land like this is expensive. It's not quite remote enough for me, but, we are getting older, and as you age, it's harder to live remotely. I also like to see grandchildren now and then as well. I don't want to be so far away, that I miss my family. Where I live now, my adult kids and grandkids can get here, and be safer than in the city. They can access my area by a statewide bicycle trail system, not a highway. It may not be the best place to ride this out, but, I am raising a young child, and I feel he needs what civilization has to offer, as long as there is civilization. There are good schools and jobs around here. If it all goes to hell in a handbasket, well, we are fairly safe here. Nothing is guaranteed. I don't think driving 1400 miles to a missle silo in Kansas is the answer.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yeah my BOL family had to move out of there far away homestead in there 80's . They had lived up there off grid since WW2.

We still have the HAMM radio to prove it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm the same way, I'll stay on my lil piece of land unless its time to un-ass the AO. Then my family will head to a local decent size creek, where i have an alternate spot to hold up. The seriousness of the event really dictates all scenarios, I could what if it to death, having a small plan is better then none at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts