Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

A thought just crossed my mind.
If SHTF and the government took on a role that it shouldn't we could probably expect to see military patrolled streets, phones lines backed up, and the Internet being monitored as a form of communication (as if it isn't already).
But, what are the odds that ham radio could be monitored or controlled? Is it possible?
Just a thought. I don't know much about ham radio yet but I'd like to think that it is a very relieve form of communication.

-Frank

·
Registered
887 Posts
My understanding of Hamm is that anybody can hear similiar to CB but much more powerful. Thats why theres licensing and control of it. SHTF comms is HAMM then CB then Hand Held radios then Carrier pigeons or Playboy Bunnies. That last one was recently debated in another thread.

Theres Hamm pros that will come along and clear up my poor information on Hamm specifics.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You're right Asteroidx, when using voice modes anyone can listen in but there are digital modes that just sound like sqeeks and beeps. I'm sure if the government wanted to monitor digital modes they would have the radios and computor programs needed to decode us and listen in. I have been playing around with a mode called psk31 and it's pretty cool. You can set up macros of info like what radio and antenna you are using and you can just type in the message you want to send. Just looked in my log book and the last psk31 contact I made was to Pisa Italy from my home here in SW Ohio.

Waznyf, you should check into getting your ham license. Not hard to pass the test at all. Try to find a local amatuer radio club and they will be glad to help you with test dates and study materials. Check out qrz.com . There are some practice test there that will at least let you see the type of questions on the test. Also lots of articles and so forth.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right Asteroidx, when using voice modes anyone can listen in but there are digital modes that just sound like sqeeks and beeps. I'm sure if the government wanted to monitor digital modes they would have the radios and computor programs needed to decode us and listen in. I have been playing around with a mode called psk31 and it's pretty cool. You can set up macros of info like what radio and antenna you are using and you can just type in the message you want to send. Just looked in my log book and the last psk31 contact I made was to Pisa Italy from my home here in SW Ohio.

Waznyf, you should check into getting your ham license. Not hard to pass the test at all. Try to find a local amatuer radio club and they will be glad to help you with test dates and study materials. Check out qrz.com . There are some practice test there that will at least let you see the type of questions on the test. Also lots of articles and so forth.
Thanks Hayden I am already looking into it. Found two local clubs and I will check out that website for sure thank you.
Only concern is the money needed to start up. Would you recommend used products with ham?
Also, is it best to get a radio that you could use at any level instead of having to upgrade as you are allowed more power etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,496 Posts
This isn't stopping me. I am an extra class and plan on having my radio's up and running. If nothing else I can monitor what his going on elsewhere. I could be wrong but I think a NVIS antenna (also known as a cloud warmer) will allow closer in comm and be harder to track since the signal goes straight up.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Inceptor it looks like they could do anything they want but I doubt if they would take the ham bands because the rest of the world would still be using them You never know tho. Waznyf, alot of the gear would be the same. Used gear is fine, we tend to take good care of our rigs. I just looked at a chart and it seems the technician ticket limits you to 200 watts on some bands. The higher class license goes to 1500 watts but you don't need that much power. Been a ham for 25 years and my most powerful radio is a Yeasu ft100 that puts out 100 watt max. I use full power on voice but lots less power for the digital modes. There are some operators that work QRP, 5 watts or less. I worked a station in NC years ago that was only running a half watt CW (morse code). As far as cost I think I paid about 500 for my Yeasu but it covers most of the bands and modes. My 2 meter radio runs 5 to 50 watts and new it was 139 I think. Someone on here the other day mentioned a dual band on Amazon for less than 60 bucks. I found that handheld radio on ebay for 47 and free shipping so will see what the quality is. Should be here tomorrow. 2meter and 440mhz 4 or 5 watts also recieves the fm band if you want to listen to some music. Baofeng I think is the brand of radio.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Inceptor it looks like they could do anything they want but I doubt if they would take the ham bands because the rest of the world would still be using them You never know tho. Waznyf, alot of the gear would be the same. Used gear is fine, we tend to take good care of our rigs. I just looked at a chart and it seems the technician ticket limits you to 200 watts on some bands. The higher class license goes to 1500 watts but you don't need that much power. Been a ham for 25 years and my most powerful radio is a Yeasu ft100 that puts out 100 watt max. I use full power on voice but lots less power for the digital modes. There are some operators that work QRP, 5 watts or less. I worked a station in NC years ago that was only running a half watt CW (morse code). As far as cost I think I paid about 500 for my Yeasu but it covers most of the bands and modes. My 2 meter radio runs 5 to 50 watts and new it was 139 I think. Someone on here the other day mentioned a dual band on Amazon for less than 60 bucks. I found that handheld radio on ebay for 47 and free shipping so will see what the quality is. Should be here tomorrow. 2meter and 440mhz 4 or 5 watts also recieves the fm band if you want to listen to some music. Baofeng I think is the brand of radio.
Thanks so much for the info.
So one radio and its equipment can last you a lifetime if you take care of it.
One thing that would appeal to me is purchasing a radio and not needing a new one for a long time if ever.

·
Super Moderator
9,496 Posts
Naw, I don't think they will shut down the bands but I do believe they will monitor them closely.

DHS already has a policy that all employees must have a ham license now. All they seem to be getting though is a tech. I am a VE and have been on a number of sessions for them. DHS also controls all of the emergency volunteer organizations except Red Cross (although I think they have a major hand in this only behind the scenes).

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
DHS will control the airways. No argument about that. They will be able to spread propaganda and disinformation at will. They will have the ability to block out some of it but not all at any given time. There are reasons they forced everyone off analog . It is much harder to control. While I may listen in I will not put much faith in what I hear.
But they know if they transmit a lie often enough people will soon fall in line with it.
Red Cross is up to their neck in dirty. Have been for a long time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I will use whatever the hell is necessary to survive. And if that means getting on a ham radio, fine. In the grand scheme of things - I could give a damn about a ham license/permit.

·
Super Moderator
9,496 Posts
I will use whatever the hell is necessary to survive. And if that means getting on a ham radio, fine. In the grand scheme of things - I could give a damn about a ham license/permit.
In a shtf situation, I don't think anyone will be checking your license. The reason to do it now is to get familiar with your equipment. It will be real tough to learn when you need to focus on other things too. Many hams are also volunteers to local organizations. These are controlled by DHS. Many of us should have the inside track on what is going on. At least more so than the average person. We are also required to take the NIMS courses. How many you take decides where you can land in each organization.

·
Super Moderator
9,496 Posts
The above assumes that the shtf stuff is not a civil war or economic collapse. Either way I should be doing the majority of my work from the house. I do have a wife to take care of.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
If the Internet does not go down there are numerous ways to communicate through it. Look at what Paetraus got away with - it wasn't his Internet connections that got him busted.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
can any one on here recomend a radio that will do CB upper and lowerside band, communicate as a ham radio, pick up weather band and AM FM, is there such a thing????

·
Registered
60 Posts
FYI SPORTSMANS GUIDE HAS SOLAR/CRANK DYNAMO BATTERY Short wave recievers for $60
Also has a jack for USB charging too, plus weather bandand a built in LED light. You can recieve short wave signals on it. am/fm too....
ASee the movie with Robin Williams Yacob the Liar.
My grand pa had his short wave disconnected by the govt. during WWII
He was six whan he came from Sicily and obviously a fith colum deep plant. [joke]

By the way transmitting is trackable but not recieving.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
can any one on here recomend a radio that will do CB upper and lowerside band, communicate as a ham radio, pick up weather band and AM FM, is there such a thing????
Any transceiver that covers the whole HF spectrum "CAN" also operate on CB frequencies.
I think from about 30 to 40 years ago forward, Amateur radios that receive the full HF spectrum have lock outs and will not transmit on non-amateur frequencies. Some units can be modified to do so, but it is illegal for the amateur to transmit on any frequency not allocated to the amateur bands.

A full spectrum radio will cover from about 1.5 Mhz to 30 Mhz (Megahertz). CB frequencies cover from 26.965 to 27.405 Mhz. It is illegal to transmit on CB frequencies with an amateur radio.

You may be able to find a receiver that does everything you asked about but I'm not aware of any transceiver that will. I have seen some CB's that have weather channels on them.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Remember in a SHTF world whether it's Ham, CB, walky-talky or whatever, you give away your position to The Man the instant you hit the transmit button..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts