Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
Hi, y'all. I just wanted to ask if the ALICE pack is really "all that" for survivalists? I know it's sort of synonymous with the community. You think of survivalists and the first things that come to mind are dudes with a shed full of fruit preserves who wear ALICE packs and carry other Vietnam era gear. But, I've heard a lot of bad things about ALICE. Mainly that it works well enough for very light loads and it's grrrrrrrr-eat for organization, but heavy loads bear down on you, and that bulky loads pull you back. Also, the frame is uncomfortable with any sort of weight. However, there must be some reason that people still use ALICE. Nostalgia maybe? Cost?

Did I just find the most sour, bitter people to talk about the system? After all, most people don't want to hear about how great and awesome something is, they want to hear complaining about something. And, therefore, most people produce content badmouthing more than they talk positively or constructively.

Let's hear y'all's opinion.
I have an Alice pack and a huge Belgian one. Both have pros and cons. The nice thing about Alice is it has a shelf to move things like ammo cans. I certainly would not turn my nose up at either. The Belgian one holds more and is more comfortable. The Alice with the external feam gives yoj additional options. Just my personal observation.

Reactions: Darth Musturd

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
Is this an internal shelf in the actual bag or is this a shelf on your frame? I thought that Alice frames didn't have a shelf.
It is an extra attachment that can be purchased. It fastens on to the frame after removing the pack. You can find them on eBay. At least I did. Then strap the heavy awkward item in place. It leaves your hands free for what ever you need. Be your own pack horse. I have not used it but think of two ammo cans and relocating up a steep hillL. Hands are free to help with the climb.

Reactions: Darth Musturd
1 - 2 of 2 Posts