Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, y'all. I just wanted to ask if the ALICE pack is really "all that" for survivalists? I know it's sort of synonymous with the community. You think of survivalists and the first things that come to mind are dudes with a shed full of fruit preserves who wear ALICE packs and carry other Vietnam era gear. But, I've heard a lot of bad things about ALICE. Mainly that it works well enough for very light loads and it's grrrrrrrr-eat for organization, but heavy loads bear down on you, and that bulky loads pull you back. Also, the frame is uncomfortable with any sort of weight. However, there must be some reason that people still use ALICE. Nostalgia maybe? Cost?

Did I just find the most sour, bitter people to talk about the system? After all, most people don't want to hear about how great and awesome something is, they want to hear complaining about something. And, therefore, most people produce content badmouthing more than they talk positively or constructively.

Let's hear y'all's opinion.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I only have the Medium Alice pack which isn't rated for over 50 lbs iirc, it does good at organizing items and I had it in my vehicle on my daily commute and used it on some outings. It wasn't like the new packs on comfort but was OK if I needed to walk home it held everything I would need for 3-4 days.

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
Hi, y'all. I just wanted to ask if the ALICE pack is really "all that" for survivalists? I know it's sort of synonymous with the community. You think of survivalists and the first things that come to mind are dudes with a shed full of fruit preserves who wear ALICE packs and carry other Vietnam era gear. But, I've heard a lot of bad things about ALICE. Mainly that it works well enough for very light loads and it's grrrrrrrr-eat for organization, but heavy loads bear down on you, and that bulky loads pull you back. Also, the frame is uncomfortable with any sort of weight. However, there must be some reason that people still use ALICE. Nostalgia maybe? Cost?

Did I just find the most sour, bitter people to talk about the system? After all, most people don't want to hear about how great and awesome something is, they want to hear complaining about something. And, therefore, most people produce content badmouthing more than they talk positively or constructively.

Let's hear y'all's opinion.
I have an Alice pack and a huge Belgian one. Both have pros and cons. The nice thing about Alice is it has a shelf to move things like ammo cans. I certainly would not turn my nose up at either. The Belgian one holds more and is more comfortable. The Alice with the external feam gives yoj additional options. Just my personal observation.

Reactions: Darth Musturd

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
Is this an internal shelf in the actual bag or is this a shelf on your frame? I thought that Alice frames didn't have a shelf.
It is an extra attachment that can be purchased. It fastens on to the frame after removing the pack. You can find them on eBay. At least I did. Then strap the heavy awkward item in place. It leaves your hands free for what ever you need. Be your own pack horse. I have not used it but think of two ammo cans and relocating up a steep hillL. Hands are free to help with the climb.

Reactions: Darth Musturd

·
Registered
12,559 Posts
If you are talking about a U.S. military Alice pack, then the answer is that it is functional, but not great. There are reasons that the military replaced them.
There are better packs to be had that will wear much more comfortably and offer better storage.
If an Alice pack is all that you have, you can get by with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is an extra attachment that can be purchased. It fastens on to the frame after removing the pack....
The technical term for that is a "freighter pack" when the frame has a shelf. That doesn't affect the bag terminology. That's my preferred type of bag. I have one myself, the Bullpac. Wrote a 15 page essay about how great it is somewhere else on this forum.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've used the medium (with and without frame) and the large ALICE pack.
It's possible to put more in them than you can carry.

My opinion: if used within design (mainly weight) limits they're OK.
The most significant mod I did was add a sternum strap. Then I changed out the kidney pad and pack straps for those made by Tactical Tailor ( TT ). MUCH GOODER.

Then I went whole hog and bought a TT Medium MALICE Pack (with all the upgrades) and Frame with upgraded straps and such. That was the last pack I bought. It has served me well.
Malice Pack

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
Utility, function, ease of access, bushcrafting, training, communication
25 Posts
Well, I like the style, but if you're trying to go gray-man, those are the loudest possible bag for that. Otherwise, it fits good, you don't need to pack too much stuff in one, and there's a neat little metal tray hook you can get for one to carry more stuff underneath the pack. My only issue with the bag is the problem with opening the bag quickly... The straps and metal clips are a stress to deal with, especially older surplus ALICE's that have been sitting in storage for God knows how long.

Though, it is quite retro, and there's a few other things that can be added to the pack to increase it's versatility, I think sticking to a truly water resistant/proof bag would suit best - something big enough to hold a few days worth of things to get you to point A to B. Nice, but not something I'd want to be carrying around in SHTF when people are looking for a reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been running ALICE for years, but recently was thinking about getting a cheap-ish backpack just to store an emergency survival kit. So far Beretta Tactical looks decent, pretty low price and looks decent enough. Did anyone have experience with those? Found out about those from this article, but still not sure if I should grab one
Beretta Products Review 2022 - Part 1 - Blog.GritrSports.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts