Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever heard of a small chain grocery called Aldi? I really use this store. They mainly sell off brand food items very cheap. They cut costs where ever they can such as having latches on their shopping carts that will unlatch when you deposit a quarter and when you return the cart you get the quarter back. Also you can just take their empty boxes from around the store instead of using bags. All of this equates into really cheap food. Especially cheap canned and dry food that is perfect for food storage. After my initial purchase of about $500 I can now continue to rotate my one month food storage all for about $100 per year using Aldi!

Does anyone else have an Aldi in their area or a store that is similar?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have one 10 miles from me and use it at least once a week. I think its a German based store. They have specialty foods that I cannot get anywhere else as well. You have to bring your own bags, but that is perfect for me since I hate plastic bag waste. I have about 10 cotton ones in the back of my cars.

I actually think the produce is much better than Kroger for some reason. I know it costs half of what Kroger sells it for.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
We have one in my town. You can buy canned or bulk goods to store for probably half the price of anywhere else.

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
They are all over the place up in this area. I tried buying a box of cereal in there once but it looked like it was going to be two hours to get checked out so I set it down and walked out. A lady who works in one and comes to the watering hole on boys day out with the guys says dont buy the meat.

·
Registered
574 Posts
We have one a few miles from us but it seems to cater to people who tend to pay in food stamps. I went in there once and the clientele alone made me not want to go back. I don't mean that disrespectfully I just didn't get a sense of safety in there. I guess it could just be that particular store in that particular area but it certainly left a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Gotcha on that Salty. Heard the canned goods were excellent as well as the frozen pizza and boxed cereal. The times I have been in there it seemed like most of the customers were seasoned citizens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have one a few miles from us but it seems to cater to people who tend to pay in food stamps. I went in there once and the clientele alone made me not want to go back. I don't mean that disrespectfully I just didn't get a sense of safety in there. I guess it could just be that particular store in that particular area but it certainly left a bad taste in my mouth.
No disrespect what-so-ever. I totally understand. It must be different in my neck of the woods b/c when I go I typically see fair dressed, smart, upper middle class folks there. And when I go to the big expensive chain is when I see the food stamps coming out on Delmonico Ribeyes and boxes of Hostess. Must be nice to eat $16 a lb steak every week for free. Guess it's the new gov't cheese LOL!

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
My grandma got govt. cheese via a senior citizens program… best quality cheese I've ever had.
Well my Mama and Daddy got the free cheese back in the 80's. Not that any young whuppersnappers can recall the time frame but it was when Sir Ronald Reagan Maximus cut all the old folks off of food stamps. Was the very best cheese you ever ate. Had the meltability factor one notch above Velvetter (the national cheese of Texas) and a rich cheddar flavor. All of the very best Mexican Restaurants still use it for all their cheese requirements. Its called Land o Lakes Sharp American Extra Melt. You can still buy it from the wholesale food distributors in 30 pound increments of five pound blocks. I been meaning to buy some but looking for somebody to split a case.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Have you ever heard of a small chain grocery called Aldi? I really use this store. They mainly sell off brand food items very cheap. They cut costs where ever they can such as having latches on their shopping carts that will unlatch when you deposit a quarter and when you return the cart you get the quarter back. Also you can just take their empty boxes from around the store instead of using bags. All of this equates into really cheap food. Especially cheap canned and dry food that is perfect for food storage. After my initial purchase of about $500 I can now continue to rotate my one month food storage all for about $100 per year using Aldi!

Does anyone else have an Aldi in their area or a store that is similar?
They are a slightly larger chain in oz, and are a prepper gold mine around here, 10L drums of water for less than $5

Have electronic specials for cbs, and small old style am/FM radios, cheap hiking gear....

Amongst a series of other random items... A mini gold mine

·
Registered
524 Posts
Aldis is awesome.

Their produce is hit or miss here but everything else is great and quite comparable to national brands.

It's big enough to have a good selection but not huge... so you don't have to do tons of walking around and it's not littered with tons of unnecessary impulse buys.

I do maybe 60-90% of my shopping there, they have nearly everything you need.

And yes, food stamps are probably the preferred payment method there :p But there is a diverse clientele there so it's probably not the same as walking into a food bank. Regardless I'd rather see people using their food stamps on essentials instead of Oreos, Mtn Dew etc

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I like to see people who are spending my tax dollars are doing so wisely. I also must point out that you are judging by appearance... Are you a bigot? I have never really felt unsafe because of the clothes people wear or how they look...

my wife and I shop at Aldi all the time... as mentioned before canned food is great.... we stock their spaghetti stuff, peanut butter, soup, canned veggies, canned fruit...

·
Registered
550 Posts
We don't have any Aldis around these parts, but my daughter has one near her in her home state. She loves it, and shops there all the time. I go along with her when visiting, and the place is always neat and clean. I've never had anything from them that was sub-par. I especially like that $0.25 cart return deal. You don't see shopping carts strewn all over the parking lot that can be blown around in the wind, nor all the carts filling the handicapped spots. Put there by healthy as a horse, but lazy as hell lowlifes.

·
Registered
936 Posts
We do 90% of our shopping at Aldi. They're great.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
574 Posts
I like to see people who are spending my tax dollars are doing so wisely. I also must point out that you are judging by appearance... Are you a bigot? I have never really felt unsafe because of the clothes people wear or how they look...

my wife and I shop at Aldi all the time... as mentioned before canned food is great.... we stock their spaghetti stuff, peanut butter, soup, canned veggies, canned fruit...
I am a simple man and don't know what the definition of a bigot is however I understand statistics and try to heed their warnings. Crime rates in low income communities are sky high and when I see 85% of the people in a store using food stamps to buy groceries a reasonable conclusion can be drawn. If you are afraid of being labeled a bigot by the PC crowd because you are mindful of statistics in my opinion you aren't much of a prepper. You put a lot of time and effort into prepping, evaluating scenarios, recognizing dangerous situations, etc... why would you treat something as simple as a trip to the grocery store any differently? It is akin to the fitness freak who works out 3 times a day and walks out of the gym only to get killed by a bus because he had his headphones in.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts