Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, recent interest caused me to wanna jot down these simple insrtuctions for the alcohol stoves..
materials needed- 2 same sized aluminum cans, 1 razor knife, thumbtack. denatured alcohol, penny.
I have seen lots of mods and videos, but I can whip out one of these in about 5 minutes. Simple, fun.
space knife about 3/4 inch off work platform somehow. I use a large roll of tape, to hold knife flat and flush. rotate can to scribe and score with tip of razor knife.
seperate the bottom half. using second can, try to stretch the aluminum slightly, by inserting the can into smaller cut peice, and twisting.
now trim second can to same 3/4 inch section, you will have two half's.
carefully, slowly, work the second peice into the first piece, it is a pain sometimes, sometimes it will just go right together.
before trying to close completely, use thumbtack to punch a center hole in one half.
Now just slowly tap and squeeze both halfs together until it is closed.
For the "jet holes", I start at 3,6,9, 12 oclock position, poking holes, then split that up until it has 12 or 16 holes.
DONE.
for first lighting, I was timid, not using enough alcohol. Pour in about 3 tablespoons of alco.
put penny on top to cover filling hole, add another tablespoon of alco on top.
Light, after initial flareup, i usually hold my lighter against the side of can to increase the pressure building.
Pretty simple, VERY FUN. Im a pyro. I have an added one to my gear, and have one in the truck. I carry the alco in "shooter" bottles, that way noone mistakes it for water or anything.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Wow Nice... Thanks For the information and post..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Gives me a reason to buy canned beer for once instead of bottles. :roll:

Has anyone tried some sort of wicking material inside like cotton balls or something? I wonder how that would effect the burn rate?
Speaking of, how long does that baby burn?

Reactions: Zed

·
Registered
634 Posts

Has anyone tried some sort of wicking material inside like cotton balls or something? I wonder how that would effect the burn rate?
I made a few of these last year, I did not add any cotton or anything but they burned for about 12 to 15 minutes on average.

·
Registered
320 Posts
add petroleum jelly to cotton

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haven't tried anything but Denatured alcohol. It creates a pressure inside the can, wich makes it sound like propane stove. I haven't timed a burn cycle yet, but I promise, it puts out some serious heat.
Another "trick" i liked was to put some "wooden skewers", which looked like dowell rods to me, in your storage bottles of alcohol, they are like small super fire starters.
Bieng a certifed PYRO, i also have some "hobo candles", and tea light candles, along with steel wool, ducttape, and superglue.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Deebo, with just a couple more ingredients you have the makings of some real mayhem.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mr Paul, I have a very troubled background.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Glad to hear that it is in your background....;)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
That's a good idea. I suppose you can put a can of chili or soup on top?

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes ma'am, I have little surrounds, that cans sit on, and keep the wind down.
Don't think I forgot about you Lady

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
They work real good for heating up water, but heating cans of food is tricky because they get so hot. Maybe with a big can to hold water and put the smaller can in like a double boiler.

Reactions: paraquack

·
Registered
643 Posts

My Granddad and his his friends had coffee can heaters that we used in deer blinds. The top of the can was used as a throttle we would put a role of toilet paper in the coffee can then fill with grain alcohol. That thing put off some serious heat and would last for a morning and afternoon hunt before you needed to refill it. Man that was a long time ago thanks for jogging back some great memories.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Deebo, glad you bumped the thread. I was checking it out earlier so my son and I made one when he got home from school. I see now that you have 16 holes in yours but we ended up making it with only 8. I already had the alcohol. I've got an alcohol stove in my boat so I just grabbed some of that stock.

The hardest part was getting the two halves together but I found that it was easier to take the one that was going to go on the inside and use my thumbnail to put very slight dents at the lip where it first meets the other one where you put them together, and go all around it, making about 20 of them or so. This made it easier for me to put them together without ripping the aluminum.

We ended up setting it up at ground level and creating sort of a gravel volcano all around it for a bit of a wind break and my son heated up his dinner on it. LOL It put out some great heat and the burn time was about 12 minutes. The flames were a bit long but not too bad. I think that's where the 16 holes would probably do better, giving it a more efficient flame like the one in your picture.

Fun to do! And it officially holds the record for my lightest stove. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kool that you are teaching him.
Yes, I haven't made one in quite awhile, but after you do one, it gets easier every time.

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
I love these stoves and have one that works great.

A friend of mine built his with a fiberglass wick ( there are no jets) because he claims that the stoves that have jets will not pressurize if they are sitting on ice or snow.

I still use this style but it is something to consider.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.