Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week I may be picking up a new rifle. Most likely it will be an AK. I don't know much about the different brands and what to avoid. I will also be ordering online for the first time. Looking for suggestions on where to buy and what some decent brands are. Thanks.

· Registered
5,453 Posts
There are many. many to choose from. In my experience with the AK platform IO inc. is a brand to avoid. They don't care much for their customers. The cream of the crop is generally considered to be Arsenal with their Bulgarian builds. They run 1100.00-1300.00. As for a reliable, solid entry level AK the WASR 10's out of Romania are currently being built very well and run between 500-600.00. I am a huge fan of the Yugoslavian Pap rifles. My Npap has been wonderful. The barrels are not chrome lined like the WASR and others, but I don't shoot corrosive ammo. The Yugo M-70 variants like the M70 AB2 and the paps run in the 6-700.00 range. They are getting some bad press after a bad torture test. Mine has been great.

· Registered
2,743 Posts
How about the century international arms? They seem to be the most popular brand for sale online.
I have an Arsenal SGL21-66 AK and it has been flawless! I also have a Saiga and it too has been flawless. I have heard very good things about the new
made in USA Century C-39 V2 or version 2. I have been looking into this and like what I see so far! A guy I work with picked a Century C39V2 up a few weeks ago and
he had nothing but good things to say.

· Registered
2,817 Posts
I have an Arsenal SGL21-66 AK and it has been flawless! I also have a Saiga and it too has been flawless. I have heard very good things about the new
made in USA Century C-39 V2 or version 2. I have been looking into this and like what I see so far! A guy I work with picked a Century C39V2 up a few weeks ago and
he had nothing but good things to say.
I've shot one of those C-39 V2's, I really liked it. Accurate, great feel, seems to be well made. Came apart nicely when I cleaned it. I wouldn't be a bit afraid of one of them.

I bought a couple of WASR's the day after Sandy Hook (before they went up in price) as a "hedge", and I've been shooting one of them pretty much bone stock (I did add a pad to the back, the com-block lenghth stocks don't do it for me) and the darned thing is 1MOA accurate, most accurate AK I've ever shot and not a jam in over 2,000 rounds. Right now the dumb thing is probably my go-to semi-auto.

WASR's, at one time, were total junk but the new ones are fine from what I have seen. Not a huge fan of the G2 trigger group but I can live with it.

· Registered
5,453 Posts
There is a reason Century had to build a "Version 2" C-39. Those issues were fixed and they probably listened to James Yeager too much on that one, but in point of fact he was right regarding the sights. The Century C-39 V2 would be my top choice for an American made AK variant. The Tapco G2 trigger is the industry standard. Not the best, but I like it. I can't afford any of the Arsenals so I bought the N Pap because, at the time, they were by far the best budget oriented AK. If I were to buy my first AK today, it would probably be an O Pap with the crest. Overbuilt, inexpensive, cool looking and reliable.

· Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fellas! Century may be the winner.

Next question: ammo availability. Out here we still have the sealed cans of bulk ammo. It's really cheap. This is part of the reason I'm looking at the AK. An extremely reliable rifle supplemented by inexpensive ammo equals a great prep.

Are any of you AK guys having trouble finding ammo?

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Next week I may be picking up a new rifle. Most likely it will be an AK. I don't know much about the different brands and what to avoid. I will also be ordering online for the first time. Looking for suggestions on where to buy and what some decent brands are. Thanks.
It would make it easier to advise you if I knew what price range are you in. If you are around the 1000 to 1300 range it's hard to beat an Arsenal SLR-107FR. Saiga's are good too but I don't like the way the new imports look. Too much sporterising for my taste. If I didn't already have too many AKs in my safe and I could make room for one more it would be a RUSSIAN RAK AK47 RIFLE RED CLASSIC Only to look at to pretty so shoot. :joyous:

· Registered
21,643 Posts
Price does come into play. if you could find a true Russian issue in great shape that is the best but it would be way over priced. The newer Century ones are ok they may be a bit picking on mags some times. If you come across an older Norinco they were one of the best buys for cash spent ever.
Enjoy your AK know what it is and what to expect and you will have a fine weapon

· Registered
5,453 Posts
Regarding ammo, you may have just missed out on a great opportunity where Golden Tiger is concerned. Sam Gabbert at SG ammo just got in a huge shipment of this primo ammo that sold out in 3 days. 7.62X39 is still plentiful on line. If you want a good local price look at Romanian Hotshot at Academy Sports, Monarch at Academy and Herter's at Cabelas. All run good and should be in the $5.00 per 20 round box range. If GT hits our shores again I will let everyone know. Tulammo is usually the cheapest but renowned for being dirty with occasional squibs and primer issues.

· Registered
5,453 Posts
Like Smitty said, if you can find a Norinco MAK-90 or a Polytech legend you should grab it. A great price for a MAK would be the 600.00-700.00 range, the Polytech legend is widely considered the holy grail of AK 47s and sell for $2000.00 or more, if you find one for less, grab it.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
How about the century international arms? They seem to be the most popular brand for sale online.
My son got one of the Century c-39 v2 a few months ago. He is more of a AK fanboy the me. So I wouldn't think he would have got it if he didn't think it wasn't worth the money. When we took it to the range and we didn't have any trouble sighting it in; no canted sights. No jams; action was smooth and it shot well. The only negative for me was that the barrel wasn't chrome lined and it didn't have a bayonet lug (not that I ever would need to use a bayonet.). Other then that very nice looking AK for the money.

I think you will enjoy it!

FYI I just got back from Academy Sports and the have their 7.62x39 for 5.19/box.

· Registered
12,501 Posts
If ordering sight unseen, I wouild look for a couiple days worth of an inspection period. That way if the sights are canted or other problems, you have a chance to rectify it. (additional postage invovled). I have had good luck with FEG, vector, Mac 90, NMH 91. I would love to see a range report on your new AK Arklatex.

Reactions: Arklatex

· Registered
1,463 Posts
I Have an Arsenal SLR 95, But I finished up an AR 15 that shoots 7.62x39 its a SUB MOA. The Ak is Great But My AR that shoots 7.62x 39 is more accurate. My Pick would be the AR Platform

· Registered
3,604 Posts
well there is one other option a ruger mini 30-but mags are hard to find and expensive-as for the AR, drop t in the mud then oil the fudge out of it then pour a bucket of wet rock and sand on it and shoot the hell out of it let it sit for a week and tell me how it works-an ak will laugh at the abuse an ask for more- sure it's not as accurate but I layed my AR down and never looked back after picking up an AK- don't want to start a panzy foo thrown match if the AR works for you then full steam ahead for yah.

· Registered
598 Posts
I have an N-pap and its a tank, good ammo cheap ammo and it just keeps shooting, and shooting straight. It uses a RPK sized receiver so some aftermarket accessories don't fit correct but I love the wood look on the gun so...

· Registered
21,643 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.