Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody planning to use one? Or have experience hunting with them? Seems a good choice for prepping. Light weight, cheap, cheap, cheap ammo (that's actually available!), super quiet, and it seems people have been using them for everything from rabbit, squirrel, coyote, dove, even birds as big as wild turkey.

My very limited experience so far has netted me a few birds, a red squirrel, and a stray cat sized animal at 51 yards (laser range finder).

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I know there's very real world use for air rifles, just as there is with a .22lr - but every time I find myself questioning whether or not the people are right who avail these to be the worlds greatest prepping rounds (not saying that's you, just making a statement), I lay down my various calibers next to each other and ask myself a simple question; If I were down to my last round, which one would I want it to be? It changes on occasion, but it's never been a .177 or .22lr.

That being said, I'm sure it'd be a great backup and they're a lot of fun to go plinking with.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I think they are quite useful for taking small game. I kind of get lost in the selection process between an airgun and a rifle.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Good airrifle ain't cheap. I shoot my FWB 124 more than anything else. Look at Beeman for quality airgun stuff.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Not saying an airgun is even remotely on my list of "I can only carry one weapon, so it'll be THIS.". Not even close for me personally! But leaving an air rifle off a prepping list for that reason is like saying "I've got my AR, I don't need anything else in the whole world.". :? I hope NONE of us is that dumb.

My interest in them is because I might be able to put food on the table with one and NOBODY knows I'm doing it but me. Fire off a round from an AR and every living soul within two miles just heard you ring the dinner bell. Police and military enforcing "No one will have a firearm. NO ONE." to.

·
Administrator
15,106 Posts
We were having problems with large Norway rats in our feed shed all of a sudden. Might have had something to do with some old production chicken barns torn down on a neighbors farm. These suckers were BIG, 22 LR rat shot out of a Single Six at 10 feet and they shrugged it off. I stepped up to the 22 magnum shot rounds and they didn't run so far.
The wife was uncomfortable with using the Ruger herself so we went to Walmart and bought a Crosman Storm, .177 caliber, break barrel, spring action. It was rated at 1,000 fps, cost right around $100. It would drive a pellet clean thru the rat and half way thru the 1/2" plywood shed wall, but she wasn't stong enough to cock it.
So that's how I ended up with an air rifle. I use it for plinking pine cones in the back yard, but if it got down to it a head shot on a rabbit or squirrel would do the deed quite well.
I'm glad I've got it, it fills a niche that was otherwise empty.
And I went back to the Ruger w/magnum shot shells. Plus pelletized poison bait.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Not saying an airgun is even remotely on my list of "I can only carry one weapon, so it'll be THIS.". Not even close for me personally! But leaving an air rifle off a prepping list for that reason is like saying "I've got my AR, I don't need anything else in the whole world.". :? I hope NONE of us is that dumb.
I wouldn't dare suggest anyone carry an AR around yourself. ;) I haven't been here long, but I've been here that long. Myself, if I was down to my last I'd hope it was my Marlin.

Anywho I guess it all depends on the situation. If you're bugging in and within short distance of hunting grounds, it seems feasible. If you're bugging out then I probably wouldn't shoulder the weight.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We were having problems with large Norway rats in our feed shed all of a sudden. Might have had something to do with some old production chicken barns torn down on a neighbors farm. These suckers were BIG, 22 LR rat shot out of a Single Six at 10 feet and they shrugged it off. I stepped up to the 22 magnum shot rounds and they didn't run so far.
The wife was uncomfortable with using the Ruger herself so we went to Walmart and bought a Crosman Storm, .177 caliber, break barrel, spring action. It was rated at 1,000 fps, cost right around $100. It would drive a pellet clean thru the rat and half way thru the 1/2" plywood shed wall, but she wasn't stong enough to cock it.
So that's how I ended up with an air rifle. I use it for plinking pine cones in the back yard, but if it got down to it a head shot on a rabbit or squirrel would do the deed quite well.
I'm glad I've got it, it fills a niche that was otherwise empty.
And I went back to the Ruger w/magnum shot shells. Plus pelletized poison bait.
:shock: Call McDonald's up! You may have a source of income there with those Quarter Pounders on the hoof!

I like the old 5 gallon bucket trick for drowning barn mice. Poison worries me because they wonder off to die and you don't know what might eat them, or what could get contaminated from their rotting bodies. Sounds like a 50 gallon drum half filled might be in order to contain & drown out those monsters!

·
Administrator
15,106 Posts
:shock: Call McDonald's up! You may have a source of income there with those Quarter Pounders on the hoof!

I like the old 5 gallon bucket trick for drowning barn mice. Poison worries me because they wonder off to die and you don't know what might eat them, or what could get contaminated from their rotting bodies. Sounds like a 50 gallon drum half filled might be in order to contain & drown out those monsters!
i was hesitant about the poison at first because we have dogs. But the dogs are prevented by fencing from getting there.
The local snakes were hanging around (I try not to bother the non-poisonous ones) the feed shed drawn by the rodents, but it's connected to the horse stables and the wife got nervous thinking they would spook the horses who in turn might injure themselves. Horses, I love 'em, but they ain't the brightest creatures around, so now I had to shoot a snake yesterday. Cheaper and easier than hiring a back hoe to dig the hole to bury the horse that you had to euthanize because it broke it's leg all over a harmless snake.

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Registered
965 Posts
I think pellet guns are fine for what they are. Just like .22s are fine for what they are. Just like shotguns and ARs. But doesn't Prepping come down to surviving? When it comes right down to it and it's time to go and you only have a certain amount of stuff you can take with you, prioritizing the usefulness of something comes into mind. I will probably get a pellet gun. I would probably take a pellet gun if I had to bug out, IF I HAD THE ROOM. But I wouldn't substitute a pellet gun for a .22 rifle. Pellet gun just doesn't have the range.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Get yourself a plastic 50 gallon drum so the water won't leak out, smear up an old pop or beer can or two with a thin layer of peanut butter... Walla! No more mice or rats ever again. No worry about the poisoned rats wondering into dog territory, or poisoning your livestock's feed. ;)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Back on the subject of air rifles. :D First thing I realized with mine was how much pellet weight effected velocity! My Remington NPSS .22 is rated at 1,000fps. Like all air rifle companies, Remington / Crossman / Gamo / whoever, they do those velocity ratings with special light pellets.

With real world pellets (14.3gr), 1,000fps turns into:
View attachment 2985

True, the rifle is FAR from broken in yet, but from what I hear that number is what should be expected.

Upgraded the scope to a fixed 10X Bushnell with Mil-dots and quick adjustable turrets. Makes for quick accurate hits out to 70 yards so far. More testing needed...
View attachment 2986

View attachment 2987

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think they are quite useful for taking small game. I kind of get lost in the selection process between an airgun and a rifle.
I use a Gamo Big Cat 1250 on squirrels and bunnies out to 30 yards because it's every bit as effective as a .22LR at that range (the depth of my back yard). It is quieter (and much cheaper at $8.00/500) than a .22LR, but I wouldn't consider it a stealth weapon. The shot report isn't as sharp so the sound doesn't carry as far as a 22.

I consider it a minimalist hunting tool… one that can reliably provide food without using up precious firearms ammo, but in no way an honest survival weapon. It's limited, but worth having around.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use a Gamo Big Cat 1250 on squirrels and bunnies out to 30 yards because it's every bit as effective as a .22LR at that range (the depth of my back yard). It is quieter (and much cheaper at $8.00/500) than a .22LR, but I wouldn't consider it a stealth weapon. The shot report isn't as sharp so the sound doesn't carry as far as a 22.

I consider it a minimalist hunting tool… one that can reliably provide food without using up precious firearms ammo, but in no way an honest survival weapon. It's limited, but worth having around.
Nice rifle. I'll bet 30 yards is less than half the limit on it taking squirrel cleanly. When the neighbor finds the tree rats laying dead in their yards just say. "Maybe it got hit by lightning?". :D

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I live in town and thought I was pretty smart to get a pellet gun to take care of some annoying pests. I sighted in the scope out at the range while firing a few other guns and brought it home. Late one night I was sitting at my computer when I looked up to see a big fat **** staring at me through the patio door. I grabbed my new Ruger pellet gun and shot him, I spent the next 20 minutes peeking out my windows waiting for the police to show up. Late at night that pellet gun was a lot louder than I remembered it being at the range. I should probably try to find some pellets heavy enough to be subsonic.

Reactions: BigCheeseStick

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Nice to have, been taking squirrels eating on neighbors fruit trees, didn't think he knew. We were both mowing yards one day and he thanked me for it. Quiet-er, but still can be heard. I think in the woods, no one would hear them. jmho:)

·
Registered
966 Posts
When using a high velocity pellet gun one must modify hunting technique. My .177 break action pellet rifle will put an icepick size hole in just about anything. If you shoot a rat through the gut it will die . . . eventually. If you want a quick kill it has to be a head/heart shot.

Alot of the noise you hear is not heard by others. Have your wife/kid fire the pellet rifle while you stand outside and see what you hear.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I live in town and thought I was pretty smart to get a pellet gun to take care of some annoying pests. I sighted in the scope out at the range while firing a few other guns and brought it home. Late one night I was sitting at my computer when I looked up to see a big fat **** staring at me through the patio door. I grabbed my new Ruger pellet gun and shot him, I spent the next 20 minutes peeking out my windows waiting for the police to show up. Late at night that pellet gun was a lot louder than I remembered it being at the range. I should probably try to find some pellets heavy enough to be subsonic.
Had a few nervous hours like that myself! HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

I now keep one window with the screen out, slide it open as little as needed, and shoot from back inside the house as far as I can and still get the needed angle. Roy is right to. I stood outside the house and had my wife shoot (thought about hiding behind a tree...). But VERY VERY little to be heard. And she didn't even hit me! :D Claims she didn't even try!!! :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts