Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a safe way to handel this situation , as the smell and bacteria will
become dangerous to you and others in the neighborhood .
I know its a rough topic to talk about , but I don't think " Gov't " will be picking up
bodies . I don't like this subject , as it is sad to think about , but if we don't
prepare something , our society wont last very long , if we just let it solve its self !
Any ideas on chemicals or powders to stop bacteria and desolve the body ?
Think real hard , do you really want to have that smell in your area for weeks
or months. What if nobody does anything , will you or your family be able to
live with this ! This subject is hardly , if ever , mentioned when prepping ,
but its important , for YOUR survival and Safety . S-7

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Well, this is just a part of living. One of the first kids I met in the 2nd grade became my best friend. However, when we were both in college, and saw each other rarely, we simply lost touch. Sadly, "my best friend" died and I didn't find out for over two years. It's the nature of things. One of the guys I rode with in the MC came over to my house, we had a great time. One week later a client called me to inform me the friend had died. Of course, the events left their mark, but even the succinct information allows people to continue on.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,630 Posts
I think @inceptor gave the best option.
"Dissolving" bodies would require mixing things you likely won't have a lot of access to, or creating very caustic lye which will be a problem to handle for most in and of itself.
Burning would be the safest and most efficient method, if proper precautions were taken. To avoid fire spreading, you'll need to designate a location for the task and coordinate delivery.
Even then, open air fires would be frowned upon, and the smell would be horrible. As terrible as the association is, large ovens would be the preferred method. You could control the temperature better and contain the destructive heat for a more complete burn.

For posterity's sake, in case anyone finds this years from now, this is ONLY concerning the disposal of the already deceased. I feel dirty enough as it is. I don't need anything misinterpreted.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Read how the Sonderkommando took care of the overflow

from the crematoria in the WW2 prison camps.

They will give you the insight needed.

They will describe how to build a pyre of logs and bodies that burn most efficiently.

The fat and ripe ones burn the best in the mix.

A nasty mess to take care, if you are up to it, I certainly am not.

You have to be as emotionally cold as a pathologist to do it.

They were proud to do the job with only one liter of petrol.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I will use my grapple on my JD to pick them up and move them far away. The coyotes can eat them.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
It's good idea, but they need to be fresh, depending the ambient temperature

you will have limbs falling off in a couple of days do not pierce bloated guts,

you will gag and puke from the stench.

Have recovered bodies when on the PD,

NOT a pretty sight, smell never goes away.

The most disgusting is when there are a zillion maggots crawling over them,

at that point you need a shovel to pick up the sections.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
...have recovered bodies...

Well, who hasn't? Oy, vey, you guys make it sound like a dreary monetary enhancement instead of what my family calls, "One too many guys at the poker table."

Somehow I feel like part of my extended family (my mother's sister married a real loser) is going to show up soon as the details herein are exposed. To be clear, my Uncle Jack is not Sicilian, he just married into that violent and loud side of the family. Ergo, all of my side is actually more German than anything else, it is after all, the south side of Milwaukee.

So let's be clear. Yes, people can go "missing." Okay, okay, some bodies have to be recovered. However, most of my lineage is gamblers. We do have a second cousin once removed that runs a mortuary...

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
It's good idea, but they need to be fresh, depending the ambient temperature

you will have limbs falling off in a couple of days do not pierce bloated guts,

you will gag and puke from the stench.

Have recovered bodies when on the PD,

NOT a pretty sight, smell never goes away.

The most disgusting is when there are a zillion maggots crawling over them,

at that point you need a shovel to pick up the sections.
I have a bucket that I can scoop up the entrails and missing bits with.

·
Super Moderator
9,630 Posts
The fat and ripe ones burn the best in the mix.
Certainly this.
With the right combination of fatty tissue and heat, you can really get a roaring fire going.
The topic can turn stomachs, but the science is rather fascinating. The human body is surprising, in many many ways.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
...have recovered bodies...

Well, who hasn't? Oy, vey, you guys make it sound like a dreary monetary enhancement instead of what my family calls, "One too many guys at the poker table."

Somehow I feel like part of my extended family (my mother's sister married a real loser) is going to show up soon as the details herein are exposed. To be clear, my Uncle Jack is not Sicilian, he just married into that violent and loud side of the family. Ergo, all of my side is actually more German than anything else, it is after all, the south side of Milwaukee.

So let's be clear. Yes, people can go "missing." Okay, okay, some bodies have to be recovered. However, most of my lineage is gamblers. We do have a second cousin once removed that runs a mortuary...
You worked for a mortuary, fire department, or police dept, ME's office???
One would assume from your posting you did such, as to pick up BODIES MORE than one time.
Very few have even recovered just one, how did you manage multiples???
What the hell are you talking about, "monetary enhancement",
I was paid for doing my police job, not to go and fetch bodies.
As a supervisor, I was called out to many deaths of various kinds, even when off duty.
I can guarantee that you would have puked you guts out at viewing some of them.

You don't even cover ONE EXPERIENCE in here, just ramble about your bad ass family..
I don't even mention battlefield pickups in here.
I don't even need to tell you why recovery was needed in the military, you were never in, so it would be a waste of time on brotherhood and respect.
Perhaps you were in combat somewhere that you neglected to tell us about???

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
In my area of southern AZ, we will end up with fat coyotes and javelinas running around. They may even become a threat in their own right.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Certainly this.
With the right combination of fatty tissue and heat, you can really get a roaring fire going.
The topic can turn stomachs, but the science is rather fascinating. The human body is surprising, in many many ways.
Could this be a potential fuel source? The fat that is.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
The ovens that were used to incinerate bodies during WW2 by the Germans,
were designed to do just that.
What you see in the newsreel pictures of the period are just of the "oven" area.
The air, fire and flames were below the ovens, superheated air was brought up into the oven by the chimney design, flow pattern and their height.
You can liken it to a charcoal grill with a solid plate on the top part of the grill wires, the fat would run down into the firebox area and increase the burn temp, just like the flareups with a grill.
Like everything in a flashover, at a certain point everything would gasify.

·
Super Moderator
9,630 Posts
You mean as a general fuel, or as fuel for the already burning fire, as @SOCOM42 described?

For general use, like for heating your home, I'm unfamiliar with any society in history rendering the fat of dead humans into a useable fuel. That said, the chemistry should still work.
It would take a morally detached individual to do the work, though I suppose such people will be the ones that live the longest in that harsh new world.
I can't image the source would be all that plentiful though.
Unless death was quick and caught a large population off guard, you likely won't find too many fatties that starved to death. You'll find distended people with excess skin hanging off of them. Their own bodies will rapidly consume the fat for energy when the food runs out, assuming they can get just enough sustenance to keep their vital organs functioning.
If death was quick, and large groups died off quickly, you'd have enough time to trim out and render down a few, but the corpses would go rancid within days. The fatty tissue would break down and turn to liquid.
I would not count on this as any sort of backup plan.
To avoid the spread of disease, disposal should be prioritized.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I imagine letting nature take care of things first would be easiest.
An oven that is built like a rocket stove will burn hot an fast.
Other than that, this topic has definitely taught me I am not ready for it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts