Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to prepping and live in a country were the largest size of ammo I can get is BB. I currently have a few packs of 9 shot and a few 5 and 6.

They range from 24 grams to 36 grams

What are the best for prepping? I have seen a video on you tube for prepping and they say to have a wide variety so you can hunt small birds and protect your house.

Can someone advise which are best to keep a few boxes of? also has anyone found a website that shows the damage caused but each size of shell?

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
One could always cut around the case where the cushion part of the wad is to make what the ******** call a "Cutshell".

My friends and I would craft the change to our field loads and shoot them at water jugs for a splash.

Cutting around the shell leaves the front part intact around the wad. When fired the wad and front part stay together with the shot`and it act's like a slug.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Neo... If you are limited on what you can purchase... then it should cost you a lot less to stock up on all options. Keep in mind that prepping considers all possible situations. Besides the normal disaster types, one of those could include additional gov't restrictions on the types of ammo you can purchase. So... if you buy now you are usually grandfathered with the law. Besides... what they don't know they can't do anything about.

Another reason to have a wide range and large stockpile is that any excess you don't need can be used as a barter item to get what you do need. You may prep... but that doesn't mean your neighbors do. It's better to have something to trade them and make them feel secure than to have to fight them.

·
Administrator
14,702 Posts
#9 shot is mostly used for shooting clay pigions in trap and skeet competition.
#6 is used for hunting game birds such as dove, quail, etc.
#5 and #4 shot is used for larger birds such as turkey, pheasant, etc.
Steel BB is used here in the states where lead shot is banned for use - hunting migratory waterfowl like geese and ducks. The shot used is larger in size because it weighs less than lead and has to be bigger to kill the bird.
If the BB size shot available to you is lead that's even better.
Myself, if I was limited to your options I would keep #6 for hunting - good for smaller birds, rabbits, squirrels, and similar sized game. I would keep BB for self defense, at ranges of 5 meters or less it would be deadly; at 10 meters it would at least make an adversary run away.
What country do you live in? What gauge shotgun do you have?

Reactions: survival

·
Registered
60 Posts
Neo,
I would say get what you can and try to get a variety of shots.

even if you only get #9 loads. They will still do the job (be it defense or killing birds or animals). Some might say using #9 for defense will not stop a man. Well I would say otherwise because when 30-60 pellets are shot all over your body you will be in extreme agony, pump a couple more shots on you and you will be dead. For hunting, most people dont like #9 because the spread is to much and also too many pellets. meaning if you shoot a turkey with #9 shots then you will end up having a lot of pellets in your teeth when you are eating it.

So the best advise will be get what your can get and try to get a variety, if not any shots is better than no shots.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Saw this video after watching the video you posted.
This is a much better video. It shows bird shots on a big slab of meat. and look closely on the birdshots pellets all over the thing creating a big crater.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I've been messing around with "wax shotgun shells" Youtube has lots of videos on them, check them out. Since you live in a different country I would advise checking the laws on such things, as not to get you into trouble with the law. Best of luck.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Go old school for home defense and fill some loads with rock salt ;)
That was going to be my suggestion. :-D

My granddad used to tell me stories about the Teamsters riots in the 20's and 30's. (He owned a non-union ice and coal business at the time.) The Teamsters would come around and try beat him and his drivers up and they would just lay into them with a couple rounds of 20 ga. loaded with rock salt. According to my granddad, it did not kill 'em, but they wished it had.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I agree with Rice Paddy Daddy. Frankly, at any range inside your home, any 12 ga. round will certainly stop an intruder and most likely be fatal. If you had the choice, for prepping use only, I would stock up on several boxes of #8 for small birds, #6 for duck and small mammals, and #4 or 00 buckshot for people. I would also add a box of slugs provided you have taken the time to be proficient with them.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Disclaimer: I've never done this, . . . never seen it done.

BUT, . . . I remember hearing about taking home rolled shotgun or commercial shells, . . . opening up the end, . . . pouring a very small amount of liquid parrafin or beeswax into the top part of the shell. Supposedly, . . . it solidifies, . . . and turns the shot into a basic slug.

I really have no desire to ever be shot with a shotgun, . . . but I REALLY don't want shot with one of those.

But in answer to the OP, . . . a kind of rule of thumb is the bigger the shot, . . . the more effective it is on bigger targets, . . . especially humans. I do know of one case where a fellow had on a leather jacket, . . . out hunting, . . . his buddy accidentally shot in his direction, . . . the leather jacket stopped all the pellets, . . . they were probably 7 1/2 bird shot, . . . he was not harmed.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Disclaimer: I've never done this, . . . never seen it done.

BUT, . . . I remember hearing about taking home rolled shotgun or commercial shells, . . . opening up the end, . . . pouring a very small amount of liquid parrafin or beeswax into the top part of the shell. Supposedly, . . . it solidifies, . . . and turns the shot into a basic slug.

I really have no desire to ever be shot with a shotgun, . . . but I REALLY don't want shot with one of those.

But in answer to the OP, . . . a kind of rule of thumb is the bigger the shot, . . . the more effective it is on bigger targets, . . . especially humans. I do know of one case where a fellow had on a leather jacket, . . . out hunting, . . . his buddy accidentally shot in his direction, . . . the leather jacket stopped all the pellets, . . . they were probably 7 1/2 bird shot, . . . he was not harmed.

May God bless,
Dwight
Dwight, I've been researching these wax shotgun shells a bit lately, and thought, I'd interject a few points. At first glance, one would be tempted to think, all you are doing it creating a slug, if so, then why not just go buy slugs in the first place? But if A person looks a little closer, there are major differences between a slug and these wax rounds. A slug is a ball of lead, it remains so throughout it path down range, this could mean through something you intent to shoot and into something you didn't, whereas, with wax shells, while it remains a solid mass held together by the wax, once it hits something, it turns back into whatever shot is placed in it, and will become not lethal shortly after passing through whatever you hit, and likely not even going through it. Second thing simply the price, slugs are mucho money wax slugs can be made from much cheaper field shotgun shells. And lastly it give some control of how you load your shells. The shot that you removed, BB's, and steel ammo made for slingshots, or combos of all three, many more but you get the idea. YouTube has a lot of videos on wax shells if you want to see them in action. Wax shots are pretty cool, and may be something someone prepping might want to give a second look.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok slugs are not legal here but I am keeping the items needed to make wax slug in case the shit hits the fan.

·
Administrator
14,702 Posts
Neo4516, there is a website you may not be familiar with where shotguns, rifles, and handguns are tested with various ammunition. You might be interested in the various shotgun tests. It's The Box O' Truth, click here - The Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth
It's a very interesting place. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
One could always cut around the case where the cushion part of the wad is to make what the ******** call a "Cutshell".

My friends and I would craft the change to our field loads and shoot them at water jugs for a splash.

Cutting around the shell leaves the front part intact around the wad. When fired the wad and front part stay together with the shot`and it act's like a slug.
One thing to remember with cut shells use them in single shot or double barrels not semi autos increased chamber pressures can result. I've heard some people do this frequently others call it a desperation tactic i.e. bird hunter followed by bear. I'm glad I have a large stock pile of slugs and buck.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
If budget is and issue buy what it on sale No one will stand up well to a 12ga a close range pretty much no madder the load. If you shoot him with #4 instead of 000 and he still coming shoot again he will stop.
If you hit it a bird it will not say I refuse to to go down you used the wrong shot. Grab some rifled slugs also.
Being prepared is a lot about being flexible

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Shotguns are an extremely versitile weapon. I load 75% of the time with 1 1/4 oz. #7 1/2 for birds and small game. I load 1 1/4 oz. of #9 for home defense. At the ranges inside my home that will kill very quickly and put an intruder down. The small shot will not penetrate the exterior walls so I don't have to worry about killing my neighbors if I miss. I have a few round ball loads for medium range - they are more accurate than slugs of any brand in my guns.
I won't use a shotgun to take a deer or other game animal unless I have no choice becuase I have other guns that can do at least as well on game and are much cheaper to use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts