Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I am purchasing a handgun and I have narrowed down my choices to a Sig Sauer SP 2022 (.40) or a Glock 17(9mm). Was wondering which you would feel is the better option and why? From what I have read the Sig is not very customizable where as the Glock is, but the sig comes with night sights and a laser. Any advice is appreciated. ::rambo::

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
For a first time handgun and for a one gun owner neither would even be on the list.
Sig's over priced and glock way over rated.
Clock started a campaign to put their name all over the internet it is working . But clock in no where near the player in SD handguns it pretends to be.
You need to get out and get weapons in your hand. you are going to spend between 350 an 1000 dollars for a good SD handgun.
No one weapon is prefect for everyone and many have a lot of hype attached to them.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The Glock is perhaps the single most dangerous hand gun ever developed. No safety, . . . trigger can be pulled by virtually anything getting it it's opening.

One owner shot himself in the "posterior", . . . setting down in his car, . . . with a faulty holster. A flap of the holster material pushed the trigger, shot him and his car.

They can be safely handled, true, . . . but so can cobra snakes and rattlers. Most of us shy away from the snakes, . . . and should do the same for Glocks IMHO.

They are especially dangerous around the unknowing, untrained, or children. There is a Youtube for example, of a 4 year old shooting his Arab father during a "celebration". Additionally, just about every time a small child is involved in a shooting, . . . it is a Glock.

I have limited info or experience with Sig weapons, . . . but the limited amount was fairly positive. They seem well made, and the one I shot seemed both reliable and accurate.

If this is your first handgun, . . . I would suggest a Colt, S&W, or Ruger double action revolver, . . . .38 special or .357 mag is a real good starting point for a defensive handgun / first handgun / learner pistol. You will gain invaluable insight into handguns, . . . be far safer than the other two you mentioned, . . . and in the current market, . . . keep it a year or two, . . . you might even make a few bucks when you sell it, . . . if you sell it.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
966 Posts
Probably Glock 23 which is mid-sized in .40 S&W. You can also drop O.E.M. .357 Sig barrel in with no modification to give you two calibers. Both use same magazines. Gen 4 Glocks come with magazines.

·
Banned
148 Posts
The Glock is perhaps the single most dangerous hand gun ever developed. No safety, . . . trigger can be pulled by virtually anything getting it it's opening.
Dwight
Ever seen a revolver with a safety? Why are they not the most dangerous? Same philosophy, long deliberate trigger pull. Not sure where you are getting your information on how easy it is too accidentally pull a Glock trigger. I'm sure you never owned one.

I own server auto handguns and the Glock 17 is one of my favorites. I have never had a Glock not to go bang when I pull the trigger and I shoot reloads. The Glock is one of the most reliable autos made and this is what you want if you get in a situation where you need it. Also very simple to use, no fumbling in the dark for the safety or trying to remember where the safety is on this particular model. In some situations, seconds count.

If you think a handgun is a tool and not an extension of your manhood. Then the Glock will be one of the most used tools in your tool box. If you need something pretty and flashy then the Glock may not be the gun for you.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I would agree that neither the SIG 2022 or the Glock 17 are the greatest pistol for someone's first pistol. I recommend you getting something with a manual safety. Every single person I've helped buy a first pistol over the years has been much happier with a manual safety pistol. Two of my friends, one with a Glock 17 and the other with a Sig 226 still don't like keeping a round in the chamber, which is a bad idea. A firearm that's not loaded can be no better than an expense club if you can't load it. You never know whether you're going to have both hands or the time available too when the time comes either. I still carry a 92FS everyday. I would also recommend sticking with 9mm. It's the most common pistol caliber in use in the USA right now and still the current military issue round with ours and many other militaries. Commonality is a potential plus for the prepper, not a negative. Other pistols you might consider are the Beretta PX4's, the 92FS's, the Ruger P95's, SR9's, and the F&N FNS 9mm's. If you want a more compact pistol for future concealed carry there are solid choices in compacts and sub-compacts too.

Deprecated Browser Error

Ruger® SR9® Centerfire Pistol Models

FNH USA - Distinct Advantage :: FNS?-9

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Sig handguns are some of the best made.
Remember Sig passed all the selection tests for adoption as the Military replacement for the 1911. The Baretta was chosen because of politics.
If you want a manual safety, look at the 220SAO, (single action only), it has a manual safety

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Glock 17 is an easy choice of the two you mentioned. Cheap mags available everyplace, including 33 rounds. Lots of options to upgrade including carbine conversions. Excellent resale, really easy to sell a used Glock. Don't worry about the lack of a safety. You know to keep your finger off the trigger. I've carried a Glock 20 in 10mm for years and never have had a single problem. This is out working around the farm/woods not just sitting in an apartment.

·
9,012 Posts
Everybody has a good argument. If you haven't already held and fired several pistols before making your choice, I'd start all over. Personally, I like the .45 ACP for stopping power. A .40 cal. would be second. Decide on which caliber you want and then find friends with different pistols or go to the gun shop and feel the way they fit your hand. To me, fit is all important when it comes to control of your firearm. A few more days of testing won't kill you. Also a lot of my friends don't like Glocks. I don't have any experience, so take it for what it's worth, zilch! Accessibility and price of ammo should be a concern but on the small side. Glocks seem to have lots of parts available but makes we wonder what's wrong with them? My only requirement is a real lever operated safety.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Probably Glock 23 which is mid-sized in .40 S&W. You can also drop O.E.M. .357 Sig barrel in with no modification to give you two calibers. Both use same magazines. Gen 4 Glocks come with magazines.
I agree with Roy. Glock 23 gen four is the way to go. I have one a like it. I have longwolf .357 sig barrel and a 9mm barrel too! Both work fine in my gen 4 23 model. Now after saying all of that. I perfer 1911's as my first choice, but I am also a old man and that is what I started out with. Hard to teach out dogs new tricks, but again I do like the Glock 23 gen 4.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Get the glock 23. Very nice hand gun.

Dwight55: dont know why you would say that. Any gun is dangerous if misused. This is the reason why we keep our guns locked up.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
For someone who has little or no experience with handguns a revolver is the safest gun you can own. The double action trigger pull is long and heavy - not likely to cause ignorant discharges. The revolver is easy to clear and check - one is less likely to leave a round in the gun when the cylinder is open. I have never had a malfunction of any kind with a revolver and I have had fail to return to battery, failure to fire and failure to cycle with autos. With a revolver you dump the fired brass onto the table or the ground at your feet and it is easy to pick up but with an auto I always spent a lot more time finding my brass than I spent shooting it. With a revolver you can load down to any comfort level which allows you to practice shooting better - not more. Even if you don't reload you can fire 38 wadcutters (target practice rounds) in a 357 mag and work your way up to full magnum loads with 38 Special, 38 +P and then 357 mag loads. There is no autoloader that can do that. When a person unfamiliar with guns removes the magazine from their gun it is easy to assume it is unloaded - those unloaded guns kill more people accidentally than any other type. An autoloader encourages rapid fire shooting by novices. It does not encourage slow practiced fire that builds confidence in and improves one's shooting ability.

The revolver is easier to clean and keep clean than any autoloader.

These are the facts behind a first handgun - without all the hype about "fire power" or number of rounds for a fire-fight. If you want safety, accuracy and skill to be number one on the list of expectations with a first handgun then buy a revolver. My experience says that Ruger is the toughest and longest lasting revolver on the market. It has a transfer bar safety that you don't have to learn to use and they come with an integral lock to make them completely inert - not a feature that I use but it is there.

A revolver is always a better first handgun for the uninitiated.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Probably a 32 Auto Astra...... ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
For someone who has little or no experience with handguns a revolver is the safest gun you can own. The double action trigger pull is long and heavy - not likely to cause ignorant discharges. The revolver is easy to clear and check - one is less likely to leave a round in the gun when the cylinder is open. I have never had a malfunction of any kind with a revolver and I have had fail to return to battery, failure to fire and failure to cycle with autos. With a revolver you dump the fired brass onto the table or the ground at your feet and it is easy to pick up but with an auto I always spent a lot more time finding my brass than I spent shooting it. With a revolver you can load down to any comfort level which allows you to practice shooting better - not more. Even if you don't reload you can fire 38 wadcutters (target practice rounds) in a 357 mag and work your way up to full magnum loads with 38 Special, 38 +P and then 357 mag loads. There is no autoloader that can do that. When a person unfamiliar with guns removes the magazine from their gun it is easy to assume it is unloaded - those unloaded guns kill more people accidentally than any other type. An autoloader encourages rapid fire shooting by novices. It does not encourage slow practiced fire that builds confidence in and improves one's shooting ability.

The revolver is easier to clean and keep clean than any autoloader.

These are the facts behind a first handgun - without all the hype about "fire power" or number of rounds for a fire-fight. If you want safety, accuracy and skill to be number one on the list of expectations with a first handgun then buy a revolver. My experience says that Ruger is the toughest and longest lasting revolver on the market. It has a transfer bar safety that you don't have to learn to use and they come with an integral lock to make them completely inert - not a feature that I use but it is there.

A revolver is always a better first handgun for the uninitiated.
I agree and if I had it to do over again this is the route I would have taken. I was smitten by being able to shoot 17 rounds without reloading so I got a Ruger SR9. Don't get me wrong, it is a great gun, but a revolver would be just as good and as stated you can shoot different types of ammo.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Ever seen a revolver with a safety? Why are they not the most dangerous? Same philosophy, long deliberate trigger pull. Not sure where you are getting your information on how easy it is too accidentally pull a Glock trigger. I'm sure you never owned one.

As you have surmised, no I have never owned one, . . . never will. With the trigger pull that a 3 year old can manipulate, . . . I would not have one on the place.

For your information (you apparently don't seem to know this) long trigger pulls on double action revolvers are not condusive to accidental shootings.

The Glock trigger system was fundamental in the shooting in the leg by a New York female officer who jammed her weapon into her holster, and if I remember correctly, catching the trigger on one of her extended fingernails. That would never happen with a Colt Det. Special, . . . a Ruger SP101, . . . or a S&W Chiefs special.

Same scenario with the elderly gentleman who had an old beat up holster, . . . a fold of the holster wound up in the trigger mechanism, . . . shot him in the butt, . . . down through the seat, . . . out the floor of the car IIRC.

You need to step back for a few minutes, . . . put a trigger pull scale on your Glock, . . . then try even a Python, . . . you will find a world of difference, . . . a SAFETY difference.

And, yes, . . . High Standard did for a while make a .22 with a safety.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Tomorrow I am purchasing a handgun and I have narrowed down my choices to a Sig Sauer SP 2022 (.40) or a Glock 17(9mm). Was wondering which you would feel is the better option and why? From what I have read the Sig is not very customizable where as the Glock is, but the sig comes with night sights and a laser. Any advice is appreciated. ::rambo::
I didn't read all the posts, but here is my 2 coppers

Get the Glock, it is the most idiot proof gun out there (which explains why I own that exact model)

It is simple, you load the gun, you pull it out and you pull the trigger and it goes off.

No safeties to worry about, no "snaggy" bumps and ridges to hang up on as you pull it out, it just shoots everytime you pull the trigger (as the trigger is the safety)

Plus IMO 9mm will be more available than .40 unless you plan on raiding a guvment storage site.

Reactions: Meangreen

·
Registered
461 Posts
Not sure what you picked but in case you haven't ill pass my 2 cents. I do not have exp with either of the models you listed. I carried a SIG 226 DAK (.40) when stationed in New Orleans as my duty weapon and I didn't particularly care for it as well as most a majority of my station. While I would pass at the range my groups were not as tight as I would have liked and the recoil (lightness of the gun) caused problems with some people transitioning from the 9mm and new / seasoned shooters alike.

I recently purchased a Glock 30 SF (.45) and love it, it has made me a Glock lover for life. Is this a SHTF gun or Defensive gun? 9mm > .40 in my opinion of SHTF because of ammo. I would go for the Glock 17 BUUUUT you are missing the most important thing..... it's all preference. While here is a good start I would take both to the range and put a box or 2 through them. That is how I chose between the 30, 30 SF, 36 .... shot at 10 and 25 feet , took pictures then notes, and later compared them more in depth.

My first handgun was a Taurus PT 92 (9mm) which I still own and will probably never sell. Like another poster stated it has manual safety so that's good, but do you want to be fumbling around with safeties when your life is on the line? My service weapon did not have an external safety and while I never had to fire it in the line of duty I preferred that way.

You have more posts then me on here so i'm sure you realize that while this is a good place to start you should branch out with what people say and fact check it. Most people here can give good input but sometimes they get carried away with statements like " just about every time a small child is involved in a shooting, . . . it is a Glock." without any factual data to back their findings or go off on a tangent about how their gun is the best in the world, your choices are shit, and you should pick what they say or not pick at all.

Good luck on your purchase!
v/r
-KillSwitch

·
Banned
148 Posts
As you have surmised, no I have never owned one, . . . never will. With the trigger pull that a 3 year old can manipulate, . . . I would not have one on the place.

For your information (you apparently don't seem to know this) long trigger pulls on double action revolvers are not condusive to accidental shootings.

The Glock trigger system was fundamental in the shooting in the leg by a New York female officer who jammed her weapon into her holster, and if I remember correctly, catching the trigger on one of her extended fingernails. That would never happen with a Colt Det. Special, . . . a Ruger SP101, . . . or a S&W Chiefs special.

Same scenario with the elderly gentleman who had an old beat up holster, . . . a fold of the holster wound up in the trigger mechanism, . . . shot him in the butt, . . . down through the seat, . . . out the floor of the car IIRC.

You need to step back for a few minutes, . . . put a trigger pull scale on your Glock, . . . then try even a Python, . . . you will find a world of difference, . . . a SAFETY difference.

And, yes, . . . High Standard did for a while make a .22 with a safety.

May God bless,
Dwight
I get it you don't like Glocks. (Apparently you don't know that Glocks have 3 safeties). The accidental shooting you describe are people doing stupid or unsafe things. There is no substitute for the safety between your ears.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts